Business robberies.....

Re: Business robberies.....

Postby Fancy » Jan 9th, 2019, 12:56 pm

The problem has existed for decades (reasons behind security systems and bars on windows). I don't see an issue of buzzing in a customer at 2 in the morning and as long as they aren't wearing a disguise.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Bpeep likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6545 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Don't the down-town nightclubs use a system similar to this already? I don't know, because I haven't been to one of the clubs in many years.
Businesses that use this system should be granted a tax break for their participation in offering an area of safety. Businesses that opt out, will pay "full pull" for their taxes, and be given a lower priority for police attention. They can also pay for their own security personnel to protect their assets.
Those that are designated as a "Safe Zone", will be allowed to proudly display a large window sticker showing that they have a safe environment to shop in or take refuge in.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3697 posts

Postby dle » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:07 pm

OKkayak wrote:
dirtybiker wrote:
Many businesses are allready on this model throughout the world.

There are a few in the Okanagan, I suspect many more will be also
in the not too distant future.

Mine would be also if it was to venture down that business path.

Those types of businesses (i.e.: pawn shops) usually attract clientele of a questionable character. Quite different from being asked to "scan in" getting a carton of milk and loaf of bread or browsing around for a new iPad.

There are business offices in the Lawrence/Leon area that have buzzers or security codes to use the elevators and/or to gain entry....it's not just for retail stores.....again, it's a safety issue as well as a theft prevention issue....
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 1650 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:12 pm

dle wrote:

There are business offices in the Lawrence/Leon area that have buzzers or security codes to use the elevators and/or to gain entry....it's not just for retail stores.....again, it's a safety issue as well as a theft prevention issue....

Business offices don't rely on people walking in and out on a daily basis in hopes to purchase a product.

gman313 likes this post.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1260 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Fancy wrote:The problem has existed for decades (reasons behind security systems and bars on windows). I don't see an issue of buzzing in a customer at 2 in the morning and as long as they aren't wearing a disguise.

That's why some 24hr gas stations have pass thru pay area & magnetic front doors. If they don't want to allow entry into store, they will get what you want & use pass thru. Of course pay first then get the item.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

dle likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7930 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby OKkayak » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:15 pm

GordonH wrote:That's why some 24hr gas stations have pass thru pay area & magnetic front doors. If they don't want to allow entry into store, they will get what you want & use pass thru. Of course pay first then get the item.

Do they require this at 2pm vs 2am? If only at 2am or not at 2pm, why don't the customers at 2pm have to do the same?
Last edited by OKkayak on Jan 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby gman313 » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:18 pm

the stations I have seen it is an after hours only thing. Say from midnight to 5 am.

There are many of the stations in Prince George operating this way.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1430 posts

Postby pieinthei » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:19 pm

i think this is all a matter of personal preference. if you don't want cameras, don't get em. if you want an assault rifle behind the counter, have at 'er.. also, if you don't want to be scanned before entering a store.. don't go there.. and i use "assault rifle" loosley..

gman313 likes this post.
pieinthei
Fledgling

Liked in: 198 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:23 pm

It isn't a new concept. Larger retail companies are turning to facial recognition. When running a retail business or any other service industry with limited staff, a buzz system can be beneficial.

https://www.fpc-security.com/door-buzzer-entry-systems/

dle likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby OKkayak » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Fancy wrote:It isn't a new concept. Larger retail companies are turning to facial recognition. When running a retail business or any other service industry with limited staff, a buzz system can be beneficial.

https://www.fpc-security.com/door-buzzer-entry-systems/

Which large retail company requires you to buzz in after looking into a camera?
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby GordonH » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:27 pm

GordonH wrote:That's why some 24hr gas stations have pass thru pay area & magnetic front doors. If they don't want to allow entry into store, they will get what you want & use pass thru. Of course pay first then get the item.

OKkayak wrote:Do they require this at 2pm vs 2am? If only at 2am or not at 2pm, why don't the customers at 2pm have to do the same?

Next time you are filling up at a open 24hr gas station, just ask the manager your question.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7930 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby OKkayak » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:29 pm

GordonH wrote:
Next time you are filling up at a open 24hr gas station, just ask the manager your question.

Why? You brought it up, I'm asking you.
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby Fancy » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Some stores that would like to offer extended hours but are concerned about the criminal element or single staff member have no problem using a buzz system. If the customer is interested in the product, they will come.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:31 pm

OKkayak wrote:Why? You brought it up, I'm asking you.

I didn't think GordonH was in the gas station business.

GordonH likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby dle » Jan 9th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Remember back in the day when the sign on the door would say "no shirt, no shoes, no service"......if ONLY that was all we had to worry about now! It would be a pretty big sign now....let's see: "hoodies up, ball caps pulled low, sunglasses on, balaclavas or other masks on, avoiding the camera, drunken, stoned or aggressive behaviour, etc etc etc no shirt, no shoes, no service"

Buzzer system for open hours, with unbreakable glass/and or bars for closed hours seems the easiest & safest way to go by far!

Security guards will only call the cops (who will take their sweet time if they do come) when a break-in happens. The break-in still happens. Buzzer system, unbreakable glass, metal bars at night stops the break-in/vandalism from happening.

pieinthei likes this post.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 1650 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan