Knights revoke locals' tickets

Re: Knights revoke locals' tickets

Postby JayByrd » Jan 11th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Ace Storman wrote:
Its very easy to designate 1 person as a season's ticket holder. Its called a photo ID seasons pass. One just has to look at any ski hill. I remember getting annual seasons passes from Big White. You showed up at the Big White Ski admin office, showed them you ID, paid for a seasons pass, got your picture taken, and 5 minutes later you received your laminated seasons pass with your photo on it. DONE !

No one's saying what you're suggesting isn't possible. This would be problematic for the many companies that purchase season tickets though. My employer (medium size business, about 50 employees) has four club seats for the Kelowna Rockets. The boss attends most, but not all games, himself. The other three seats are routinely made available for our staff or clients, or whomever the boss wants to bring with him on a given night. This couldn't be done if each ticket had to be designated for a particular person.

In this case, it doesn't sound like the ticket-holder's intention was to scalp these tickets for profit.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

soupy likes this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1490 posts

Postby Nedroj » Jan 11th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Ace Storman wrote:This article is a good read.

Personally, I feel that this is a good thing. TICKET SCALPING has to be mitigated if not stopped all together. Scalping has caused over inflated ticket prices, which is most cases puts most venues out of reach for the average person (or family).

Reselling seasons tickets on a "re-sellers site" is wrong.

To change this, whats a solution? Perhaps a seasons pass with your photo ID. 1 pass, 1 person, 1 season, and only for the person who's picture appears on the face. Go to one or all the games, its your pass / seat and you own it for the season!

When you purchase a seasons ticket, you are purchasing it so YOU have a guaranteed seat to each and every game for the season. If your spouse/ children are avid sports fans, the same should apply. 4 family members for 4 season tickets and everyone is good.

Once again, good on the Knights for revoking the tickets...

Personally I think this is wrong for a few reasons.

1) It did not state in the contract that he had to attend every game and could not sell them.
2) Further on that note both parties signed a contract to be (and agreed to sell) season ticket holders for 5 years.
3) He attended 30-35 games last year including a few playoff games so clearly he wasnt solely intending to "resell" the tickets for profit as they indicated. "“They feel our sole purpose of having the tickets is to resell them... acting as a broker,” he said."
4) Further more on that When he did resell them, he sold them for less than asking price which isnt scalping and is very admirable as we all have seen some of the prices the Canucks tickets sell for. "The Knights use Flash Seats as their official resale site for this season and Zinner said if they weren’t able to transfer their tickets to friends or family on games they couldn't make themselves, they listed them on the resale site at the cheapest price there."
5) He even went so far as to offer the unattended game tickets for which he PAID for to charity.

In my opinion the knights can go get effed. I will not be supporting them in any way shape or form if this is how they treat their fans. And I was very excited to go see them play Vancouver when I go to Vegas this year. Now I'll spend that money going to the gun shop to shoot some automatic weapons instead.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius

Tony likes this post.
Nedroj
Fledgling

Liked in: 324 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 11th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Nedroj wrote:

Personally, I feel that this is a good thing. TICKET SCALPING has to be mitigated if not stopped all together. Scalping has caused over inflated ticket prices, which is most cases puts most venues out of reach for the average person (or family).

To change this, whats a solution? Perhaps a seasons pass with your photo ID. 1 pass, 1 person, 1 season, and only for the person who's picture appears on the face. Go to one or all the games, its your pass / seat and you own it for the season!

When you purchase a seasons ticket, you are purchasing it so YOU have a guaranteed seat to each and every game for the season. If your spouse/ children are avid sports fans, the same should apply. 4 family members for 4 season tickets and everyone is good.

Personally I think this is wrong for a few reasons.

1) It did not state in the contract that he had to attend every game and could not sell them.
2) Further on that note both parties signed a contract to be (and agreed to sell) season ticket holders for 5 years.
3) He attended 30-35 games last year including a few playoff games so clearly he wasnt solely intending to "resell" the tickets for profit as they indicated. "“They feel our sole purpose of having the tickets is to resell them... acting as a broker,” he said."
4) Further more on that When he did resell them, he sold them for less than asking price which isnt scalping and is very admirable as we all have seen some of the prices the Canucks tickets sell for. "The Knights use Flash Seats as their official resale site for this season and Zinner said if they weren’t able to transfer their tickets to friends or family on games they couldn't make themselves, they listed them on the resale site at the cheapest price there."
[color=#FF0000]Which is a hefty profit[/color]
5) He even went so far as to offer the unattended game tickets for which he PAID for to charity.

In my opinion the knights can go get effed. I will not be supporting them in any way shape or form if this is how they treat their fans. And I was very excited to go see them play Vancouver when I go to Vegas this year. Now I'll spend that money going to the gun shop to shoot some automatic weapons instead.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 589 posts

Postby Nedroj » Jan 11th, 2019, 1:58 pm

I disagree on some aspects here. It would be too tough to have to designate 1 person per seat.

Many people have commitments and cannot attend 41 games a year and an arena shouldn't have to be empty as a result.
Are you saying my friend that has Rockets season tickets can no longer take me if his wife cannot make the game?[/quote]

Its very easy to designate 1 person as a season's ticket holder. Its called a photo ID seasons pass. One just has to look at any ski hill. I remember getting annual seasons passes from Big White. You showed up at the Big White Ski admin office, showed them you ID, paid for a seasons pass, got your picture taken, and 5 minutes later you received your laminated seasons pass with your photo on it. DONE !

If you want to acquire a seasons pass for say the Vancouver Canucks, you go to their Vancouver office, show your ID, pay for a seasons pass, get your picture taken, and 5 minutes later you receive your laminated seasons pass with your photo on it (along with your address / phone number(s)). DONE !
Rules for direct family members could be accommodated. A FAMILY member with the same last name AND the same address as the official pass holder could be offered admission, PROVIDED the original seasons pass is presented at time of admission.

One has to weigh out the fact if a seasons pass is worth the investment. If you feel that you will attend most of the games, perhaps it a good deal. If you feel that you cannot attend the 41 some odd games per season, should you really be purchasing a seasons pass?[/quote]

My family has bought season tickets to the Canucks and we were able to resell the ones we couldnt attend as well as let any family member come with no matter what the last name was. The Canucks don't care because they got their 10's of thousands of dollars from us. Hockey game tickets ARE transferable, Season passes included.

A season pass to big white clearly states it is non-transferable all over the place. And honestly the owners of BigWhite are a bunch of greedy aussies.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Nedroj
Fledgling

Liked in: 324 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 11th, 2019, 1:59 pm

I haven't read of any other organization revoking seasons tickets - has anyone else?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7076 posts

Postby southy » Jan 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Fancy wrote:I haven't read of any other organization revoking seasons tickets - has anyone else?

I believe it all comes down to it being Vegas. I wouldn't buy seasons tickets in Edmonton, Ottawa, or Colorado. But I would buy tickets in Vegas. Great place to visit, so not only is the city a destination but so is the team with doing what they did last year. Put my unused tickets in a resell package and hey … things are good. The Knights figured out what was going on and how much revenue they were losing. Nothing wrong with what they are doing. Strictly a business decision.

soupy likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 790 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 11th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Back when I would purchase Canuck, Lions or WhiteCap game tickets, if I knew I wasn't going to make the game. I donated to this organization https://www.kidsupfrontvancouver.com
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

4 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8292 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby southy » Jan 11th, 2019, 2:50 pm

We need more people like you Gordo :130:

GordonH likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 790 posts

Postby bjsilent » Jan 11th, 2019, 3:10 pm

When i lived in Vancouver i had season tickets for the Vancouver Canucks,on more then one occasion i would get to the game late to find people sitting in my seats.Caused quite the commotion each and every time.After the fourth or fifth time i eventually stopped going to the games and cancelled my season ticket membership.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Liked in: 413 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 11th, 2019, 3:57 pm

bjsilent wrote:When i lived in Vancouver i had season tickets for the Vancouver Canucks,on more then one occasion i would get to the game late to find people sitting in my seats.Caused quite the commotion each and every time.After the fourth or fifth time i eventually stopped going to the games and cancelled my season ticket membership.

I would suspect their lousy play would have done it for me. :biggrin:
I know the voices aren't real but they sure do come up with some good ideas!

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11964 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 11th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Bsuds wrote:
bjsilent wrote:When i lived in Vancouver i had season tickets for the Vancouver Canucks,on more then one occasion i would get to the game late to find people sitting in my seats.Caused quite the commotion each and every time.After the fourth or fifth time i eventually stopped going to the games and cancelled my season ticket membership.

I would suspect their lousy play would have done it for me. :biggrin:

LOL. At this stage I think they should seriously consider rebranding as the Cantnucks. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

2 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6697 posts

Postby countmeout » Jan 11th, 2019, 6:12 pm

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/team/faq-season-tickets

The average price per game (44 games) was about $60 a game or $2600 total. At that price it keeps the little guy out of affording a season ticket. That stated I have no issue with people selling off what they do not use to recoup some of the money. If you paid $60 a seat a night, why not sell off half the games for $75 a ticket, make $1650 from that and then the season only cost about $1000 and you can be there for half the home games or 1/4 of all games. For people who think this is unfair, just think of how much money stores mark up a product before you buy it, some stuff can be marked up by 80% and we don't pick on greedy store owners so lets not pick on the little guy just reselling some hockey games.
countmeout
Fledgling

Liked in: 320 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 11th, 2019, 8:35 pm

countmeout wrote:https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/team/faq-season-tickets

The average price per game (44 games) was about $60 a game or $2600 total. At that price it keeps the little guy out of affording a season ticket. That stated I have no issue with people selling off what they do not use to recoup some of the money. If you paid $60 a seat a night, why not sell off half the games for $75 a ticket, make $1650 from that and then the season only cost about $1000 and you can be there for half the home games or 1/4 of all games. For people who think this is unfair, just think of how much money stores mark up a product before you buy it, some stuff can be marked up by 80% and we don't pick on greedy store owners so lets not pick on the little guy just reselling some hockey games.

That depends if signing up as season ticket holders, it states you can't resell those tickets.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8292 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Bsuds » Jan 11th, 2019, 9:37 pm

At least when I watch a hockey game on TV if it's not interesting I can change the channel.

If I pay to go to a game and it's bad I have wasted my money.

As far as reselling tickets for a profit it should be illegal. That might slow the scalpers down a bit.
I know the voices aren't real but they sure do come up with some good ideas!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11964 posts

Postby dle » Jan 12th, 2019, 5:32 pm

If you have seasons tickets to the Rockets and you can't attend personally, there is a place right on their website to sell your tickets to someone else - at least there used to be unless that has changed. It's a great idea.

To have to have picture ID to have a season ticket so no one else can sit there doesn't make any sense. Lots of companies have seasons tickets - purchased for all the staff to use and to give to customers as loyalty promos. Families & friends share seasons tickets. Common practice and not a thing wrong with that. The Rockets organization gets their money for the seat and someone gets to enjoy a game of Rockets hockey. Better that than having no butts in the seats if the owner can't attend! Everyone knows hockey is best enjoyed with a full house of rabid fans - who cares whose rabid butt is sitting in the seat?! GO ROCKETS! :130:

soupy likes this post.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 1909 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan