Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby the truth » Jan 15th, 2019, 10:19 am

its there human right to steal and not get charged for the crime, ask are mayor asram, he has given all the criminal junkies in this town the green like to do what they want :swear: :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16364
Likes: 11243 posts
Liked in: 6531 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby birdsandbeetles » Jan 15th, 2019, 2:59 pm

twofingers wrote:Dilworth Mountain is extremely fragile and, even though some dead falls have been cleaned out over the years, is clearly regarded as the next area to go up in flames.


I'm just curious, but is that just your personal opinion or is it widely believed Dilworth is "clearly regarded as the next area to go up in flames", as you say? I know it's fragile, but didn't really think it was more fragile than say, Wilden or other forested areas with homes in the area. Maybe you know something I don't. Obviously these campfires (or whatever they are) at the bottom of the mountain are not good.
birdsandbeetles
 
Posts: 24
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Mar 26th, 2014, 11:14 am

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby gman313 » Jan 15th, 2019, 3:24 pm

grasses grow and dry every year. This time of year grass can go up very easily despite the cooler wetter weather. But the risk of major spread and much growth into the trees is not very high

I would suggest Rose Valley, Most of the communities along West Side Road, parts of Joe Rich, are all much higher risk.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2961
Likes: 1301 posts
Liked in: 1472 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby yodautess » Jan 15th, 2019, 3:27 pm

The reason Dilworth is a fire prone fragile area is because it is a Meca for squatters (homeless) junkies that don't give a rip about anybody and anything. I used to love walking my dog in that area because there are so many trails. When I came across an area that had been recently vacated I found a mess of discarded needles,dirty clothes by the truck load,bikes,old mattresses,etc,etc, I quit going there. As long as there are endless supplies for free, then why worry? Nobody seems to have the fortitude to address this problem. Drug screening in order to qualify for welfare would be a good start

6 people like this post.
yodautess
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 23 posts
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Dec 5th, 2006, 11:13 am

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby gman313 » Jan 15th, 2019, 3:31 pm

yodautess wrote:The reason Dilworth is a fire prone fragile area is because it is a Meca for squatters (homeless) junkies that don't give a rip about anybody and anything. I used to love walking my dog in that area because there are so many trails. When I came across an area that had been recently vacated I found a mess of discarded needles,dirty clothes by the truck load,bikes,old mattresses,etc,etc, I quit going there. As long as there are endless supplies for free, then why worry? Nobody seems to have the fortitude to address this problem. Drug screening in order to qualify for welfare would be a good start


lol
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2961
Likes: 1301 posts
Liked in: 1472 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby pieinthei » Jan 15th, 2019, 3:33 pm

gman313 wrote:grasses grow and dry every year. This time of year grass can go up very easily despite the cooler wetter weather. But the risk of major spread and much growth into the trees is not very high

I would suggest Rose Valley, Most of the communities along West Side Road, parts of Joe Rich, are all much higher risk.


anywhere the "homeless" junkies are squatting is at great risk. look at Mission Creek Park last summer .. the stories are endless..

4 people like this post.
pieinthei
Fledgling
 
Posts: 202
Likes: 381 posts
Liked in: 256 posts
Joined: Sep 11th, 2012, 9:53 am

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby birdsandbeetles » Jan 15th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Aside from the squatters, which obviously are a threat, is there something that makes Dilworth more vulnerable than other forested areas with homes in the region? Is it drier or more fire-prone? Genuinely curious at the comment above that said it's clearly regarded as the next to go up in flames...
Last edited by birdsandbeetles on Jan 15th, 2019, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normaM likes this post.
birdsandbeetles
 
Posts: 24
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Mar 26th, 2014, 11:14 am

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 15th, 2019, 4:57 pm

birdsandbeetles wrote:
twofingers wrote:Dilworth Mountain is extremely fragile and, even though some dead falls have been cleaned out over the years, is clearly regarded as the next area to go up in flames.


I'm just curious, but is that just your personal opinion or is it widely believed Dilworth is "clearly regarded as the next area to go up in flames", as you say? I know it's fragile, but didn't really think it was more fragile than say, Wilden or other forested areas with homes in the area. Maybe you know something I don't. Obviously these campfires (or whatever they are) at the bottom of the mountain are not good.


Did yo see what they did to Brent's Grist Mill? A Kelowna heritage building. Drive by and have a look for yourself, it's easy to see from the roadway.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 7236
Likes: 2792 posts
Liked in: 3819 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby birdsandbeetles » Jan 15th, 2019, 8:47 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
Did yo see what they did to Brent's Grist Mill? A Kelowna heritage building. Drive by and have a look for yourself, it's easy to see from the roadway.


Yes, I did see that. It's so awful that happened. And I know there have been a string of fires in the area. But my question was, ASIDE from squatters starting fires, is there any reason to think Dilworth is more fragile and a bigger fire-risk than other wooded areas in town? The poster above made it sound like it and I haven't heard that before.
birdsandbeetles
 
Posts: 24
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Mar 26th, 2014, 11:14 am

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby WalterWhite » Jan 15th, 2019, 9:06 pm

birdsandbeetles wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:
Did yo see what they did to Brent's Grist Mill? A Kelowna heritage building. Drive by and have a look for yourself, it's easy to see from the roadway.


Yes, I did see that. It's so awful that happened. And I know there have been a string of fires in the area. But my question was, ASIDE from squatters starting fires, is there any reason to think Dilworth is more fragile and a bigger fire-risk than other wooded areas in town? The poster above made it sound like it and I haven't heard that before.


I think that is the answer to your question though. Yes, areas like Wilden, Rose Valley, Joe Riche are also heavily forested interface areas - however they don’t have the frequency of transients like the Mill Creek area along the base of Dilworth. There’s been a number of fires there in the recent past and up until now have all been kept from catastrophe thanks to quick action by fire crews. One day that luck will run out...
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*

3 people like this post.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2569
Likes: 1944 posts
Liked in: 3541 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby bjsilent » Jan 16th, 2019, 6:32 am

Few nights ago i had to drive along Leon Ave and noticed a few transients huddled around an alcove. When i got closer i noticed they had a fire going, they even had a little bundle of wood lol.
bjsilent
Board Meister
 
Posts: 355
Likes: 87 posts
Liked in: 392 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2013, 8:34 am
Location: Kelowna

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby ShannonG » Jan 16th, 2019, 10:20 am

GordonH wrote:Couple of years ago the houses that burnt down in Okanagan Center, if memory serves me the fire started at a transient camp near the lake.


That fire was not started by transients, but by people with the specific intention of burning down homes. I know this for a fact, but can't tell you the source.
ShannonG
Fledgling
 
Posts: 303
Likes: 105 posts
Liked in: 368 posts
Joined: Mar 29th, 2006, 1:04 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby Fancy » Jan 16th, 2019, 10:26 am

Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 47186
Likes: 1255 posts
Liked in: 6714 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby Catri » Jan 16th, 2019, 11:47 am

alanjh595 wrote:Did yo see what they did to Brent's Grist Mill? A Kelowna heritage building. Drive by and have a look for yourself, it's easy to see from the roadway.


Yeah, it would have been a shame if those beloved heritage buildings that have been set aside to rot all burnt down. If anyone really cared about them they would be restored and cared for by now.

Our town is not known for placing value on our past, there's no money in that, gotta keep looking forward all the time. That's why successive city governments could leave Leon Ave to fester for decades whilst they focused on their shiny, new "cultural district" and drooling over skyscrapers for all the people who don't actually live here yet, but might, someday...unless they just use those condos as an investment which is okay too, right? Community shmommunity. $$$$ I don't blame the current mayor and council alone for the homeless problem here, I blame everyone who has sat on council for the last 30 years and did nothing to address the issue while it was still relatively manageable. I blame all of us who live here, whose hearts are all aflutter about our ridiculous home equity (I include myself here) and so don't really deep down want to see anything done to address the housing affordability crisis. I blame the hard arse bootstrappers who think that poverty is an affliction of the lazy and have no awareness of the amount of sheer luck that's been behind their personal success. I also blame our health system for failing so many mentally ill and addicted people. In the end, I think we all deserve a little bit of the credit/blame for what our community has become.

I do get your point though and agree that it's worrisome to have fires at the base of Dilworth. It would be very bad if one took hold and went up the hill. It's common sense, I think.
Catri
Übergod
 
Posts: 1373
Likes: 1232 posts
Liked in: 1109 posts
Joined: Jul 13th, 2012, 6:18 am

Re: Transient idiots start yet another fire on Dilworth

Postby WalterWhite » Jan 18th, 2019, 1:07 pm

...and it continues:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -a-concern

Don't worry residents of Dilworth - that new supportive housing complex on Agassiz will cure this issue.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*

haggis_8 likes this post.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2569
Likes: 1944 posts
Liked in: 3541 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests