Murderer pleads guilty

Murderer pleads guilty

Postby Piecemaker » Jan 14th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Am I the only one wondering if Jay Thomson is also going to be charged with sexual assault of a child? He could have confessed to killing this woman and saved anguish for family and cost of resources to charge him. He should never walk the streets again.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#246707
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

3 people like this post.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1704 posts

Re: Murderer pleads guilty

Postby two_shoes1mit » Jan 15th, 2019, 8:14 am

Can that be explored at this point in time? Who was his wife at the time? Did he maintain two relationships?
two_shoes1mit
Fledgling

Liked in: 56 posts

Postby gman313 » Jan 15th, 2019, 10:20 am

He is a piece of *bleep*. I know the family well. 5 years to even get a trial and he was free on bail for most of it.

I hope he suffers a long slow and painful death in prison. He ruined a lot of lives

6 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1458 posts

Postby thepainter » Jan 21st, 2019, 7:44 pm

The reason why it took so long for an arrest is that the police wanted to build a case that wouldn't get stayed or thrown out of court. In the last 2 1/2 years, the police pursued him relentlessly and tried on several occasions to extract a confession from him. Something the police ultimately succeeded at with this guilty plea.
thepainter

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby gman313 » Jan 22nd, 2019, 10:20 am

thepainter wrote:The reason why it took so long for an arrest is that the police wanted to build a case that wouldn't get stayed or thrown out of court. In the last 2 1/2 years, the police pursued him relentlessly and tried on several occasions to extract a confession from him. Something the police ultimately succeeded at with this guilty plea.

well he was arrested long before. he was out on bail, not free.

The police did not succeed at *bleep*. he plead guilty because at this point it will get him less time. the one and only positive to that is the family does not have to sit through the trial while every detail is discussed by the lawyer scum
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Piecemaker » Jan 24th, 2019, 12:51 pm

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#247577

Small comfort to many, especially those who loved the woman he killed.
But hopefully he will never leave prison.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

gman313 likes this post.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1704 posts

Postby gman313 » Jan 24th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Piecemaker wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-247577-1-.htm#247577

agreed - he is scum. the family is most relieved they don't have to sit through a trial glad he finally plead guilty

GordonH likes this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby GordonH » Jan 24th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Piecemaker wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#247577

Hopefully he also waive parole when it comes available.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8092 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby pats12 » Jan 24th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Piecemaker wrote:Am I the only one wondering if Jay Thomson is also going to be charged with sexual assault of a child? He could have confessed to killing this woman and saved anguish for family and cost of resources to charge him. He should never walk the streets again.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#246707

Unfortunately up until 2008 legal age of sexual consent was 14, with no ‘close in age rule’. Therefor as tragic and sick as it is, he can’t be charged with sexual assault.

Glad to hear he was at the very least given the maximum sentence, although I have no faith in our justice system and I’m sure in 10 years he will be given parole for good behaviour and to relieve the overcrowding in our jails.
pats12

Liked in: 0 post

Postby gman313 » Jan 24th, 2019, 2:50 pm

he'd be about 50 now. that fat *bleep* will probably die of a heart attack by 60 anyway

one can only hope

soupy likes this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby bjsilent » Jan 24th, 2019, 2:57 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 27th, 2019, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
bjsilent
Fledgling

Liked in: 389 posts

Postby Lore » Jan 24th, 2019, 3:05 pm

gman313 wrote:he'd be about 50 now. that fat *bleep* will probably die of a heart attack by 60 anyway

one can only hope

He's 62.
Lore
Übergod

Liked in: 296 posts

Postby gman313 » Jan 25th, 2019, 11:37 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 27th, 2019, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.

cv23 likes this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby bcpete53 » Jan 27th, 2019, 6:29 am

I lived next door to this guy when he, unknowingly to me, began this relationship with the young woman he ended up killing. I had some interaction with him and never felt he was quite stable in his thinking. I am really surprised he did not plead insanity. He had a nice family at the time and I am sure they were better off emotionally when he left. Another case of a mentally unstable individual not getting the help he needed.
bcpete53

Liked in: 0 post

Postby thepainter » Jan 27th, 2019, 10:13 am

bcpete53 wrote:I lived next door to this guy when he, unknowingly to me, began this relationship with the young woman he ended up killing. I had some interaction with him and never felt he was quite stable in his thinking. I am really surprised he did not plead insanity. He had a nice family at the time and I am sure they were better off emotionally when he left. Another case of a mentally unstable individual not getting the help he needed.

I knew this man very well. Yes, he was eccentric, offbeat, possible bi-polar and definitely had anger management issues. But he was NOT criminally insane to the extent where he could be found not criminally responsible. A law that is a sick evil joke, but I digress.

Shortly after he killed her, he composed himself, then carefully crafted his alibi and cover-up. His alibi was somewhat flimsy, but his cover-up was not. In fact, it was his meticulous cover-up that bought him 5 years of freedom after the crime. In fact, his cover-up was so good that he could have been charged with first-degree murder, given the amount of thought that went into his cover-up. The police wisely went for second-degree murder. This was the better option since the burden of proof is lower, yet the penalty is close to the same.

This man is a master con artist. A person who deceived a lot of people after the fact. He was described by a prosecutor as a person who could sell ice to an Eskimo. For this reason, him pleading insanity would have been dangerous because it would be within the realm of possibility for him to first con them into believing he was insane, then a few short years later, con them into believing he was cured. Other criminals around the country have done just that. This would have been an even greater slap in the face to the victims family.

His undoing was that he had so much confidence in his cover-up and alibi that he talked about this incident to people he knew. So much so that over time, he tripped himself up. Not very often mind you. But in a scenario this, if you slip up once, you may as well of slip up 10 times. Eventually, it got to a point that the circumstantial case was so strong, he finally realized how futile it was to keep fighting the inevitable, and pleaded guilty.

2 people like this post.
thepainter

Liked in: 6 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan