Murderer pleads guilty

Re: Murderer pleads guilty

Postby bcpete53 » Jan 27th, 2019, 12:50 pm

I was just remembering some of the stories he told me about his past, such as taking his family and living in a tent in the bush when he believed the end of the world was coming. Even his claiming that it was God speaking to him telling him he was guilty that caused him to finally plead guilty. I didn't mean I thought that was what he should do, claiming insanity, but it seems like it might have been the way any lawyer might view the situation and look at the possibility of trying to prove in court. The question I ask is if he was so smart to make a plan to cover up his crime so well why is he not smart enough to try to go down the insanity route. I really think it is because he is still delusional thinking that God is speaking to him as he has claimed all along and he probably thinks that he still being led by God and this is just part of His plan for his life.
bcpete53

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Murderer pleads guilty

Postby thepainter » Jan 27th, 2019, 10:53 pm

bcpete53 wrote:I was just remembering some of the stories he told me about his past, such as taking his family and living in a tent in the bush when he believed the end of the world was coming. Even his claiming that it was God speaking to him telling him he was guilty that caused him to finally plead guilty. I didn't mean I thought that was what he should do, claiming insanity, but it seems like it might have been the way any lawyer might view the situation and look at the possibility of trying to prove in court. The question I ask is if he was so smart to make a plan to cover up his crime so well why is he not smart enough to try to go down the insanity route. I really think it is because he is still delusional thinking that God is speaking to him as he has claimed all along and he probably thinks that he still being led by God and this is just part of His plan for his life.

The answer is this.

Him going down the insanity route meant short term pain. In other words, he would have had to turn himself in that night and be incarcerated right there and then, with the hopes that he could con them into believing he was not criminally responsible, with no guarantee that they would buy this defense. However, if it worked, he may have been under very lenient conditions, if not outright free in a much shorter time. But once he gave his alibi and conjured up that fake Native suspect, the ship had sailed in terms of an insanity plea.

Instead, he went the route of covering the crime up and concocting an alibi, thus keeping himself out of jail in the short term. In the first 3 years after the crime, this plan seemed to be working to perfection. But the police never gave up. Eventually, they were able to build a rock solid, albeit circumstantial case against him. Something he didn't necessarily see coming.

So the strategy that kept him out of jail for the first few years after the crime was good in terms of short term instant gratification but has turned out to be worse for him in the long run.

gman313 likes this post.
thepainter

Liked in: 10 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan