Single use plastic

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
caro766

Single use plastic

Post by caro766 »

That would be awesome to ban those groceries plastic bags. people would get used to it. In Quebec those bags have been banned for more than 10 years and Montreal is already on the way to ban the plastic water bottle. Let's do it!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Single use plastic

Post by WalterWhite »

Links are always handy, and appreciated:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#246819
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

So whats the difference between regular garbage bags and grocery bags, which i often use for garbage?
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Should probably ban single use needles too ...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

caro766 wrote:That would be awesome to ban those groceries plastic bags. people would get used to it. In Quebec those bags have been banned for more than 10 years and Montreal is already on the way to ban the plastic water bottle. Let's do it!

Montreal is banning 500-millilitre bottles at city events and in municipal buildings, such as arenas and libraries - not in total.
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... -buildings
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I use a zero-water at home only because I hate constantly doing all the recycling. The family likes pure water. I personally don't care and drink from the tap if I have to, and use tap water for coffee when no one is looking, lol. As for plastic bags, I use them for garbage... otherwise as stated, I'd be purchasing another type of plastic bag to do the same thing. Are stores going to ban plastic bags here? They make a lot of extra money from them which does not benefit the environment.

I had a horrible paper straw experience at A&W last week. Using their paper straw and sucking on a thick milkshake caused a lot of air leakage and the straw did not work very well at all. My son and I ended up just taking the top off and drinking from the cup. So now I keep a few plastic straws in the glove box handy ;-)

Straws are 0.03% of disposable plastic waste by mass. Banning them is a microscopic change and opens the door for transmission of infections. If the greenies were really serious about plastic waste, they would look in to fishing equipment which accounts for 46% of the ocean wide waste.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
I Give Up
Fledgling

Post by I Give Up »

Banning the use of various plastics is not necessarily the responsibility of the province. Cities across North America have already done so.

West Kelowna, for instance, could pass a bylaw tomorrow that eliminates the use of plastic straws (A&W has already switched).

Same goes for plastic egg packaging, plastic food wraps, grocery bags, etc. CBC Marketplace* just produced a fantastic show on "Irresponsible use of plastic at grocery stores", who have basically done nothing. CBC implied that volumes of plastic packaging and wrapping could be substituted with alternates.

When I was a kid, we hardly ever saw disposable plastic, and guess what... we all survived. West Kelowna, it just takes some balls and the stroke of just one council members' pen to get it started. West Kelowna could finally be the FIRST at something, instead of copy catting someone else.

* link https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/plasti ... -1.4969379

BTW West Kelowna Counsel... how is the approval of the cannabis regulations coming.... or are you still waiting for the "other" Kelowna to do it first? Grow a pair!
Westside = Bestside...lets keep it that way!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Jlabute wrote:I had a horrible paper straw experience at A&W last week. Using their paper straw and sucking on a thick milkshake caused a lot of air leakage and the straw did not work very well at all. My son and I ended up just taking the top off and drinking from the cup. So now I keep a few plastic straws in the glove box handy ;-)

Or order stainless steel straws to use at home and keep a couple in your glove box.
https://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Colohas ... straw&th=1
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 16th, 2019, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

If you're having a root beer or Coke, Twizzler's work real good as a straw :up:
Kelowna_Born
Fledgling

Post by Kelowna_Born »

I tried searching why single use straws are bad. #1 Plastic takes forever to break down, #2 and bad for the oceans.

In the Okanagan we bury are garbage with thousands of tons of soil and other garbage in a landfill, with the site never be used again and forever known to be a landfill site.

I'm not sure if a plastic bag or straw can fly from the Okanagan all the way to the Pacific Ocean?

Is 200 years in this world (4.543 Billion Years Old) really all that long to break down? Who did that accelerated study saying it takes 200 years?

I've gone up camping and have seen the same plastic bag someone left the year prior, almost completely disintegrated.

Maybe we should start banning plastic Single-Use Drink Toppers, Needles, Band-Aids, IV Tubing or Windshield Wipers.

I do use my Green Super-Store bins as much as I can. Sometimes I forget them. Have you ever tried to pack out 100lbs of Groceries in one of those Giant paper bags because you can only carry one at a time, compared to 6 plastic bags that I re-cycle by using them as garbage bags.

If the Okanagan wants to ban straws and bags, please ban everything else we use and toss out made of plastic then.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm not giving up zap straps. I'll give up plastic straws and plastic single use bottles first.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Thank god I am well stocked up on plastic bags and plastic straws for life. I can just see it now...…….walk into an A&W, see people struggling with their paper straws, order a drink...….sit down......and pull out a plastic straw. Kids will be pointing and asking their parents...……."what's that he's using mommy"?...……."can we get some of those, they work cool".

……….and there could be money to be made...…...stand outside any fast food restaurant...……."pssst……..hey buddy, you need a plastic straw"...….."I can fix you up with plastic bags too".
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

caro766 wrote:That would be awesome to ban those groceries plastic bags. people would get used to it. In Quebec those bags have been banned for more than 10 years and Montreal is already on the way to ban the plastic water bottle. Let's do it!

Yes but what about Ontario and Quebec selling the majority of the "Milk" consumed in plastic bags :smt045
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

OKkayak wrote:If you're having a root beer or Coke, Twizzler's work real good as a straw :up:

And taste great! :smt045

Return to “Social Concerns”