Single use plastic

Re: Single use plastic

Postby Bsuds » Jan 16th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Fancy wrote:I'm not giving up zap straps. I'll give up plastic straws and plastic single use bottles first.

In most cases they are longer term use than what single (short term) use implies and I will keep on using those as well.
Why do they put a round pizza in a square box and then eat it in triangles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11779 posts

Postby drex1999 » Jan 16th, 2019, 12:58 pm

3 billion people in China and India. Plastic straws and bags in the Okanagan, in BC, In Canada, amount to absolutely nothing in comparison

Kelowna_Born likes this post.
drex1999
Fledgling

Liked in: 140 posts

Postby southy » Jan 16th, 2019, 1:10 pm

drex1999 wrote:3 billion people in China and India. Plastic straws and bags in the Okanagan, in BC, In Canada, amount to absolutely nothing in comparison

Not sure how you can say 57 million straws per day amount to absolutely nothin? 57 million per day!!

Here is link to story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4605754

soupy likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 752 posts

Postby jasond_71 » Jan 16th, 2019, 2:02 pm

It is easy to say that Canada is a drop in the bucket compared to China and India. We have to start somewhere and the Western countries are the worst consumers and polluters on the planet. It won't be overpopulation that kills the planet it will be all the poor countries in the world starting to consume like the Western nations. I'm pretty sure "most" of China and India in rural areas are not having Starbucks everyday.
It boggles my mind that only 6 states out of 50 have bottle deposit recycling laws but that doesn't mean we should stop recycling because others are not doing it.

2 people like this post.
jasond_71
Fledgling

Liked in: 224 posts

Postby KevinJP » Jan 16th, 2019, 2:05 pm

I went to a well know fast food outlet the other night and ordered a takeout soft drink. I put the straw in right away and by the time I got home five minutes later, I couldn't suck any more out. I checked the straw and it was a big blob of crud.
KevinJP
Fledgling

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby whatwhat » Jan 16th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Kelowna_Born wrote:I'm not sure if a plastic bag or straw can fly from the Okanagan all the way to the Pacific Ocean?

We have a lake??? With a wide variety of animal life that lives in or around it that can be affected???

It only takes one short walk down our shore line to see the mess/litter. Plastic items, bottles, cans, balloons, clothing (not all made from natural materials) can easily be seen and that it just what is on the shoreline. Imagine what is floating around the middle/bottom of the lake!

As for myself, I use cloth grocery bags, cloth produce bags, recycle plastic (ziploc bags, bread bags, siren wrap etc) (most grocery stores will have abin these items can be recycled, we bring ours to Walmart), use reusable straws and water bottles, and have recently switched over to compostable garbage bags. It is easy to say, "why does it matter?!", "what about the third world countries..", but as jasond_71 said, we have to start somewhere. These kind of changes aren't difficult at all, and if more people did them, the effect would add up.
hail Satan y'all

pieinthei likes this post.
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2041 posts

Postby pieinthei » Jan 16th, 2019, 2:31 pm

whatwhat wrote:
Kelowna_Born wrote:I'm not sure if a plastic bag or straw can fly from the Okanagan all the way to the Pacific Ocean?

We have a lake??? With a wide variety of animal life that lives in or around it that can be affected???

It only takes one short walk down our shore line to see the mess/litter. Plastic items, bottles, cans, balloons, clothing (not all made from natural materials) can easily be seen and that it just what is on the shoreline. Imagine what is floating around the middle/bottom of the lake!

As for myself, I use cloth grocery bags, cloth produce bags, recycle plastic (ziploc bags, bread bags, siren wrap etc) (most grocery stores will have abin these items can be recycled, we bring ours to Walmart), use reusable straws and water bottles, and have recently switched over to compostable garbage bags. It is easy to say, "why does it matter?!", "what about the third world countries..", but as jasond_71 said, we have to start somewhere. These kind of changes aren't difficult at all, and if more people did them, the effect would add up.

exactly.. our straws and plastic (for the most part) go into OUR landfills, not to third world country landfills.. cleaning up at home is a great start!

whatwhat likes this post.
pieinthei
Fledgling

Liked in: 254 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 16th, 2019, 2:54 pm

57 million straws in Canada is extrapolated from the American 500 million. 500 million straws in the USA was a guess by a 9 year old. 57M sounds high to me. That would mean every single person, 1 day old to 102 years old, uses 1.5 straws every single day, 7 days a week all year. Coffee and many drink items do not normally have straws. Straws could easily be 1/3 or 1/4 that number.

Paper straws obviously are not the answer but that is where the mindless flock. Stainless sounds re-usable but may not be a good feeling in your mouth or on your teeth (ewww). I might try a glass straw. I've sometimes re-used disposable straws. In reality, no one is saving anything. Manufacturing a disposable paper cup requires at least 20% more fossil fuel and almost 50% more electricity than a styrofoam cup. Maybe these bans are creating more pollution as people go to alternatives. Near impossible to know.

"Another oft-quoted statistic on straw use is that the USA uses and throws away 500 million plastic straws every day. That figure may not be quite accurate either, but we do know where it came from: it was originally estimated by a nine-year-old boy."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-08-05/plastic-straws-how-many-do-we-really-use-war-on-waste/10042990

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/07/18/anti-straw-movement-based-unverified-statistic-500-million-day/750563002/
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!

normaM likes this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1368 posts

Postby bidwell2 » Jan 16th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Many of the comments here just back up my belief that the earth will be a barren wasteland in a couple hundred years.

It's like that Austin Powers movie where the guy is standing out in front of a bulldozer and screaming for it to stop. That's all we collectively do as a society when it comes to all of the problems facing us.

I know so many people who will argue one fact or the other until they are blue in the face instead of simply getting off their butt and taking action.

As for straws and cleanliness, as Seinfeld pointed out, the pop you're slurping is touching the glass anyway, what's the diff if your lips are touching the glass.

Land sakes alive.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Liked in: 69 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 16th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Canada is more realistically 15,000,000 straws per day if you extrapolate it from Australia's estimate of 10,000,000 straws per day. A straw doesn't weigh much, maybe 1/3 gram. So, 5000Kg of waste all across Canada per day, and maybe 2Kg of that belongs to a Kelowna landfill. Holy cow. That'll make the landscape barren.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!

Catsumi likes this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1368 posts

Postby logman » Jan 16th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Does anyone just now see a problem with the Glenmore landfill?
Peachland and Westbank hauls all their sh#t to Glenmore? I’m sure they are happy to not have your garbage seeping into their water.
The last time I was at Kelowna “landfill”I was shocked. It has been 20 years but Jesus Christ I guess you want to fill the valley with garbage. Good job.
logman
Übergod

Liked in: 269 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Jan 16th, 2019, 4:54 pm

I’ll stop using single use straws when they ban single use diapers.

Edited to add: adult as well as baby diapers.
We See
We Judge

2 people like this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1426 posts

Postby logman » Jan 16th, 2019, 4:56 pm

I’ll suck a single paper straw till I hit plastic.
logman
Übergod

Postby logman » Jan 16th, 2019, 4:58 pm

That’s the good stuff at the bottom.
logman
Übergod

Postby Bsuds » Jan 16th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:I’ll stop using single use straws when they ban single use diapers.

Edited to add: adult as well as baby diapers.

That's right...make them wear them till their full! :biggrin:

Instead of 2-3 years they can be sold as 2-3 dumps.
Why do they put a round pizza in a square box and then eat it in triangles?

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11779 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan