Single use plastic

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Single use plastic

Postby Jlabute » Jan 16th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:I’ll stop using single use straws when they ban single use diapers.

Edited to add: adult as well as baby diapers.

Call it a double use straw and that fixes the whole problem. lol.
TruDunce meets Prudence
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1894 posts

Postby voice of reason » Jan 16th, 2019, 6:43 pm

you will still be able to buy them at the dollar store for the next 20 years, they still sell incandecent light bulbs

2 people like this post.
voice of reason
Übergod

Liked in: 1658 posts

Postby drex1999 » Jan 16th, 2019, 8:37 pm

By 2050 the world population will be 1/3 more than it is now. 2.5 billion more people and their lifetime of garbage. The only way straws do anything is if they come filled with birth control. Other than that, all these little bans do is make people feel like they're doing something. I thought that 5 cents a bag I now pay was supposed to fix everything.

5 people like this post.
drex1999
Board Meister

Liked in: 206 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 16th, 2019, 9:58 pm

At work I have a plastic spoon and a fork that I've used for the last 6 months .. All It takes is a quick rinse after use and one before if your're a germaphobe ..

This single use this isn't a problem with the manufacturer but rather the user ...

In short , don't create a demand and the supply will not exist .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

5 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4908 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 16th, 2019, 11:16 pm

MAPearce wrote:At work I have a plastic spoon and a fork that I've used for the last 6 months .. All It takes is a quick rinse after use and one before if your're a germaphobe ..

This single use this isn't a problem with the manufacturer but rather the user ...

In short , don't create a demand and the supply will not exist .

Just don't mind the glaring stares from all the eco-crazies :biggrin:
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5056 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 17th, 2019, 9:38 am

Why ban plastics when you can just refuse them?
Don't ban plastics!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/16/dont-ban-plastic-bags/

"... when Los Angeles was talking about banning plastic bags, employees from a business that manufactured plastic bags spoke in person to the city council, begging it not to ban their products. The company employed hundreds of low-skilled people, paid them well and gave them excellent benefits. Many of the employees had worked there for years because they were treated so well.

They presented rational, factual information about their plastic bags. But the city council enacted the ban anyway, put the company out of business, and left the employees jobless, some of them likely homeless.

And of course it’s not just plastic bags. Los Angeles just banned plastic straws, and the state legislature is preparing to ban the straws statewide. Santa Barbara, CA banned all single use plastics: no more plastic forks, spoons, knives, Styrofoam cups and take-out boxes. Paper and cardboard only, from now on.

It is all social engineering and fake environmental protection by decree.

Here are some essential facts that you and government officials need to consider carefully in the future.

Plastic shopping bags made in the United States are made from natural gas, not oil – and America has at least another century of natural gas right under our feet. Moreover, plastic grocery bags require 70% less energy to manufacture than paper bags. In fact, it takes far more raw materials and fossil fuel energy to grow and harvest trees, make pulp and turn it into paper bags, than to make plastic bags.

Manufacturing plastic bags also consumes less than 4% of the water needed to make paper bags. In the process, plastic bags produce fewer greenhouse gases per use than paper or cotton bags.

It then takes seven trucks to deliver the same number of paper bags that a single truck can haul if the bags are made from plastic. That means it also takes far more (mostly fossil fuel) energy to transport reusable and paper bags than it does to transport plastic bags.

EPA data show that plastic bags make up only 0.5 % of the U.S. municipal waste stream. Plastic bags are 100% reusable and recyclable, and many stores make that process simple.

Reusable and paper bags take up far more space than plastic bags in landfills, and the airless environment of landfills means paper bags do not decompose for years, or even decades.

Most reusable bags are made in China and Vietnam, then shipped to the USA in fossil fuel burning cargo ships. Reusable bags are made from heavier and thicker plastic or cotton, which takes more energy to produce, even if it’s recycled fabric or plastic. A reusable bag must be used no less than 132 times before having a “greener” environmental impact that a plastic grocery bag.

Reusable bags aren’t recyclable, and reusable bag giveaways are environmentally costly when unwanted bags end up in the dumpster, often after one or even no use.

Research from Arizona has determined that few people wash their reusable grocery shopping bags, 8% of reusable bags harbor E. coli bacteria, and nearly all unwashed bags harbor other pathogenic bacteria.

Some stores have seen declines in business. One Solana Beach, CA business saw a 25% decline in business following the implementation of a plastic bag ban. A Grocery Outlet Store told a Portland, Oregon newspaper that it lost over $10,000 to shoplifters walking in with and using their own reusable bag to exit with merchandise without going through checkout lines.

Other stores reported losses of hand-carried plastic and metal grocery baskets due to bans.

Following Seattle’s ban, store owners surveyed post-ban reported seeing their costs for carryout bags increase between 40 and 200 %"
TruDunce meets Prudence

2 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1894 posts

Postby spooker » Jan 17th, 2019, 10:16 am

Bliss Bakery sells a good bamboo straw ... the paper straws at Pulp Fiction work well though I don't think I'd challenge any with a milkshake ...

Not sure where my wife got them, but we have a set of five silicone straws that we use at the house, those things are great and easily washable ... used to go through a bag of plastic straws every couple of months at home before that ...

I don't feel put out by trying to reduce the usage of plastic straws ... and I try to get as many uses out of a single plastic bag as possible (yes, I use them for garbage bins at home) ... just wish the "plastic packaging for everything" could be removed from our lives ... that's the biggest issue that I feel is out of control ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

2 people like this post.
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 1001 posts

Postby craigor46 » Jan 17th, 2019, 10:39 am

:topic: Was watching CBC marketplace and they did a segment on plastic, very disturbing. I felt good that I recycle all my plastics and they said that a lot of the plastic is not recycled for the most part. A lot of it lands in landfills and third world countries especially since China banned the import of recycled plastic. Another really bad thing is the packaging all the stores use for everything, produce , meats, etc it's cheap . They had a family that bought as much as possible without plastic packaging and it was difficult. One great way was to buy bulk foods the program pushed for a interview with some of the major chain stores and they refused to talk about how they could reduce they plastic packaging . I am working on reducing my use but it is difficult everything is plastic these days. I am using my own bags instead of plastic bags, and the other day was at a place that used bamboo straws and they worked great.Its amazing how much things have changed since 60's or early 70's remember groceries being packed in paper bags and trash can were lined with them, not so good when they got wet. And meat was wrapped in butchers paper, and glass was used for most liquids.

whatwhat likes this post.
craigor46

Liked in: 40 posts

Postby pieinthei » Jan 17th, 2019, 10:50 am

i went to White spot last night for a milkshake.. came with a paper straw.. GREAT!
Came in a plastic cup, with plastic lid :200:

2 people like this post.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 875 posts

Postby Catri » Jan 17th, 2019, 11:37 am

The straw discussion makes me feel old. When I was a child, plastic straws were less common than paper and straws generally were considered to be something children used. Grownups sipped their drinks straight from glasses or cups...imagine that! How far we've come.

dirtybiker likes this post.
Catri
Übergod

Liked in: 1163 posts

Postby Btfsplck » Jan 17th, 2019, 11:58 am

I used to get a plastic straw wrapped in paper. Now I got a paper straw wrapped in plastic.

4 people like this post.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Liked in: 278 posts

Postby whatwhat » Jan 17th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Catri wrote:The straw discussion makes me feel old. When I was a child, plastic straws were less common than paper and straws generally were considered to be something children used. Grownups sipped their drinks straight from glasses or cups...imagine that! How far we've come.

Very good point! I will day I do enjoy drinking with a straw, maybe it's the kid in me lol.

I went to Boston Pizza the other week for lunch. I ordered a water with lemon to drink, the waitress brought my glass with a plastic straw. She didn't ask if I wanted one, I didn't need one but I used it anyways. Once finished my glass of water, out of nowhere she brings a new glass of lemon water, with a brand new plastic straw. There was nothing wrong with my other straw, or glass but instead of just refilling it from a jug, she brought a whole new glass that needed to be washed and a plastic straw.

It is interesting once you start becoming aware of the waste, how often it happens.
hail Satan y'all
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2097 posts

Postby just popping in » Jan 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm

A&W Canada created a 35-foot sculpture with their remaining 140,000 plastic straws.

A&W Canada.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oneh2obabe likes this post.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 557 posts

Postby I Give Up » Jan 17th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Virtually 100% of all plastic ever produced, still exists somewhere! Bags, straws, coffee cup covers, food wrap, cutlery, hypodermic needles and syringes, diapers......
Last edited by I Give Up on Jan 17th, 2019, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westside = Bestside...lets keep it that way!
I Give Up
Fledgling

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby trapp » Jan 17th, 2019, 7:52 pm

How about this. The biggest waste of plastic and wrappings is Costco. No where on their plastic does it say recyclable or have a recycle symbol. A small item, say razor blades, has a packaging about 75 % larger than the product. The parts of their wrapping that are cardboard have plastic stuck to it or embedded into it rendering it non recyclable. How about the bubble wrap envelopes from Canada Post. Where does it end.

Besides I'm opposed to banning plastic straws. I use them in some of my fishing fly tying patterns, specially those ones with the crinkly curve on them. :smt045
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

bornhere63 likes this post.
trapp
Übergod

Liked in: 411 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns