Single use plastic

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Single use plastic

Postby Anonymous123 » Jan 17th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:I’ll stop using single use straws when they ban single use diapers.

Edited to add: adult as well as baby diapers.

Jlabute wrote:Call it a double use straw and that fixes the whole problem. lol.

Are you suggesting to double use the diapers as well?
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1682 posts

Postby I Give Up » Jan 17th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Plastic straws, lids and bags are mostly symbolic of a more serious plastic waste, and represent a statement of over-packaging throughout the consumer suppliers. Unfortunately, many of the posts on this forum (ie, the ocean being miles away) and other lame excuses, are just silly.

A little awareness here, or a little there, could go a long way towards reducing waste.

I agree that the big box stores should start complaining to their suppliers... lets face it, if Costco tells the egg producers to go back to cardboard wrapping, the egg producers might have to listen. I am sure there are other egg suppliers who can give Costco, the egg containers if they ask for. Same goes for Save-on, Safeway, Loblaws .. virtually all the box stores. If they won't do anything, then the various municipal governments should step up and make some noise.

I hate it when politicians are afraid to take a stand and don't want to rock the boat. I'm sorry, but most of the excuses for doing nothing on this topic are simply ridiculous and show some rather shallow thinking.
Westside = Bestside...lets keep it that way!
I Give Up
Fledgling

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 18th, 2019, 11:45 am

I Give Up wrote:I agree that the big box stores should start complaining to their suppliers... lets face it, if Costco tells the egg producers to go back to cardboard wrapping, the egg producers might have to listen. I am sure there are other egg suppliers who can give Costco, the egg containers if they ask for. Same goes for Save-on, Safeway, Loblaws .. virtually all the box stores. If they won't do anything, then the various municipal governments should step up and make some noise.

Here's the thing, let's say (I don't know if it is or not), the cardboard containers cost more than the plastic containers. Who's going to pay for it? You and me, and that's where people tend to get real pissy. So there is also a question of costs.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5050 posts

Postby I Give Up » Jan 18th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Yeah, I know, costs seem to dictate lots of things, but additional costs are not always a bad thing.

"Jlabute"'s earlier post in this thread was very well presented and showed the reason plastic is popular... most of the reasons are cost related.

However, somewhere along the way, Canada, North America, Kelowna, will have to commit to trying to make a difference.

We are all able to watch TV in normal mode, but I'll bet most of us are paying extra for HD, and feel it's worth the price.
Westside = Bestside...lets keep it that way!
I Give Up
Fledgling

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 18th, 2019, 1:25 pm

The issue with cardboard or any paper fiber products is that they 'might' be more recyclable, but they take a lot more resources to manufacture and distribute, and they put a LOT more CO2 in to the air.

(not that this is an issue to me... but to CO2 fanatics it will be. The non-alarmists would like feedback from the alarmists that a lot more CO2 is ok with them.
TruDunce meets Prudence

bornhere63 likes this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1894 posts

Postby Catsumi » Jan 18th, 2019, 1:37 pm

I still do not understand why long english cucumbers are hermetically sealed individually in a plastic wrap. It prevents the cuc from breathing with the result is that they develop an off-taste and go punky so fast.

Or, maybe the skintight covering is to prevent them from breeding?? [icon_lol2.gif]
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)

2 people like this post.
Catsumi

Liked in: 6156 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jan 18th, 2019, 1:47 pm

^^^English cucumbers are longer and thinner than field cukes - skin is thinner and edible and aren't waxed so they are usually sealed in plastic to prevent damage during shipping.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/english-v ... rs-2355806
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jan 18th, 2019, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Jlabute likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 7817 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 18th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Catsumi wrote:I still do not understand why long english cucumbers are hermetically sealed individually in a plastic wrap. It prevents the cuc from breathing with the result is that they develop an off-taste and go punky so fast.

Or, maybe the skintight covering is to prevent them from breeding?? [icon_lol2.gif]

I always thought the opposite :-)
TruDunce meets Prudence
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby GordonH » Apr 18th, 2019, 4:23 pm

This is Vancouver report, sooner or later it will be here.
Styrofoam food containers impo is just a tiny amount of styrofoam being used, so much stuff is packed with styrofoam. Probably 1 of the only retailers with a lack of styrofoam would be clothing.
Chances are if those compactors used were transparent everyone would see how much is used to ship merchandise to retail outlets.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/254352 ... -ban-looms
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9083 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Catsumi » Apr 19th, 2019, 6:59 pm

A personal story, if I may.

Ordered a contour memory foam pillow from Amazon in recent days. It arrived promptly :biggrin: , wrapped in clear plastic, inserted into a cardboard box, then inserted again into another box for shipping. The first box would have done nicely with a shipping label attached. This is a pillow, unbreakable, not in need of hard casing protection for pete's sake.

Overpackaged!? You bet it was.

Now I have to flatten and squirm pieces of cardboard into blue box with the thought that this "garbage" was once a home to birds, squirrels and a carbon repository for our doings. Now in the trash.

My biggest B.itch of course and will always be, nail hardener products packaged in bear-proof plastic with a carboard casing teaser outer layer. Guaranteed you'll break your nails attempting to get into this evil genius packaging.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)

MAPearce likes this post.
Catsumi

Postby MAPearce » Apr 19th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Catsumi wrote:A personal story, if I may.

Ordered a contour memory foam pillow from Amazon in recent days. It arrived promptly :biggrin: , wrapped in clear plastic, inserted into a cardboard box, then inserted again into another box for shipping. The first box would have done nicely with a shipping label attached. This is a pillow, unbreakable, not in need of hard casing protection for pete's sake.

Overpackaged!? You bet it was.

Now I have to flatten and squirm pieces of cardboard into blue box with the thought that this "garbage" was once a home to birds, squirrels and a carbon repository for our doings. Now in the trash.

My biggest B.itch of course and will always be, nail hardener products packaged in bear-proof plastic with a carboard casing teaser outer layer. Guaranteed you'll break your nails attempting to get into this evil genius packaging.

That's so good ...

Murphy must your co pilot too ..

Thought he was just mine ...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4908 posts

Postby Catsumi » Apr 19th, 2019, 8:25 pm

We both attended and excelled in Purple Prose and Dreadful Descriptor classes, high honours attained whilst swilling from the same decanter.
Catsumi

Postby Country plough boy » Apr 20th, 2019, 5:39 am

Breast implants are single use plastic
Country plough boy
Übergod

Liked in: 891 posts

Postby Jlabute » Apr 20th, 2019, 6:46 am

^^ condoms too. I don’t think people would want paper ones.
TruDunce meets Prudence

3 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Country plough boy » Apr 20th, 2019, 6:49 am

Jlabute wrote:^^ condoms too. I don’t think people would want paper ones.

Well maybe the tree huggers

Jlabute likes this post.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Liked in: 891 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns