Single use plastic

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Re: Single use plastic

Post by Country plough boy »

spooker wrote:
Country plough boy wrote:Love to see how drink lids get made from paper. Same goes for food saver wrap. We gonna outlaw that ?

I've switched to using a travel mug for pretty much anything ... and we've made a serious dent in our usage of food wrap and baggies by using these: https://abeego.com/

Hey i like that product. Except it will not work for most applications. However very nice. Shows innovation. Keeps farmers working. Great product i might buy some.

Lets look at another single use plastic. Vapour barrier whats Jt gonna come up with to replace this much needed building product.

Are we going to stop tarring foundations ? That is basically a single use sludge. Much needed but liberals dont care. So what if your basement leaks when it rains.

Heres a good one. Windows come with proteciton on them. Single use plastics sheets. What will that become. A paper product. Guess thats fine.

There are so many plastics it is crazy to imagine this ever working out to get rid of them
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

spooker wrote:I've switched to using a travel mug for pretty much anything ... and we've made a serious dent in our usage of food wrap and baggies by using these: https://abeego.com/

How well do they wash up? Do they retain grip and shaping properties? Our household could definitely stand to use less wrap. Have you tried using them to hold a fresh loaf of bread together in the freezer?

I have both hot & cold travel vessels in SS.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
spooker

Post by spooker »

kgcayenne wrote:
spooker wrote:I've switched to using a travel mug for pretty much anything ... and we've made a serious dent in our usage of food wrap and baggies by using these: https://abeego.com/

How well do they wash up? Do they retain grip and shaping properties? Our household could definitely stand to use less wrap. Have you tried using them to hold a fresh loaf of bread together in the freezer?

I have both hot & cold travel vessels in SS.

We bought a mix of small, medium, and large over a year ago and they are still being used on a daily basis ... washing up is easy, just requires remembering to use cold water and not the usual hot as for other dishes ...

We wrap everything in them for lunches and then pop them over dishes to store in the fridge ... odd time we roll up a wrap in them and pop them in the fridge and the cold makes the ends unroll a bit ... thought we'd need to buy new ones by now but still happy with the first set
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

dogspoiler wrote:What's the plan for single use condoms, I find them on the beach fairly often.

Those are recyclable.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

Our household also uses SS containers and glass for water/coffee/tea.
All made/filled at home. Big savings and no more idling/wasting time at Timmies drive through! It’s a win,win, win.

As a populous we just need to cut back and all do our part in being smarter.

Water paper box, our leader is too stupid to come up with a simple lie. And yet we let this clown run our country into the ground.
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
Stevemak

Single use plastic

Post by Stevemak »

Encourage the reduction of single use plastic before being heavy handed with fines. A simple question at the till "Do you need a bag?" makes consumers think about paying 10 c for one. The Okanagan economy relies heavily on agriculture and tourism through the summer and 5 lbs of cherries is hard to carry in your hands back to your motel
spooker

Post by spooker »

With a sweeping plastics ban on the horizon for the nation, and the “straw ban” even closer for Vancouver proper, fast food chains are scrambling to change their packaging in order to be less wasteful. Now McDonald’s Canada has revealed their plans to test out some aggressive new eco-friendly packaging and recycling strategies at a “Green Concept” restaurant that will operate in Vancouver.

Never thought I'd see the day they dropped the styrofoam BigMac container ... and here they go surprising me again ... in a good way ...

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2019/06/19/mcdonalds-canada-green-concept-restaurant-vancouver/
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Already being discussed

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=80828&p=2504530&hilit=plastic#p2504530

Thanks! I've merged them!/ferri
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

And great news today, the eco terrorist civic government in the eco terrorist capital of Canada, Victoria, has lost in BC Court of Appeal for their misguided ban on single use bags.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5208625

In a unanimous decision, the court ruled that because Victoria's primary aim in enacting the ban was the environment, it required approval by the Minister of Environment — something it failed to receive.

So typical of the self righteous eco nuts to do enact policies without proper due diligence.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

Kelowna should just update it’s recycling system. We have facilities that accept soft plastic, glass, electronics and pretty well anything for recycling. The problem is that we don’t have a comprehensive blue bin system. If you look at large cities (such as Tokyo), pretty much every scrap ends up in the right bin and recycled properly.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

spooker wrote:
With a sweeping plastics ban on the horizon for the nation, and the “straw ban” even closer for Vancouver proper, fast food chains are scrambling to change their packaging in order to be less wasteful. Now McDonald’s Canada has revealed their plans to test out some aggressive new eco-friendly packaging and recycling strategies at a “Green Concept” restaurant that will operate in Vancouver.

Never thought I'd see the day they dropped the styrofoam BigMac container ... and here they go surprising me again ... in a good way ...

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2019/06/19/mcdonalds-canada-green-concept-restaurant-vancouver/

so the solution is to cut down the forests and make everything out of paper? how progressive.oh well bc is covered in trees and it might help our economy
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote:Never thought I'd see the day they dropped the styrofoam BigMac container ... and here they go surprising me again ... in a good way ...

Styrofoam food containers are tiny drop in the bucket, just go to any major department store or electronic store.
See how much styrofoam is used to pack fragile items in, then thrown into trash bins. Of course majority is unseen because of those trash compactors.
Every big box stores uses nothing but enclosed trash compactors, so general public doesn't see how much styrofoam actually passes through the store.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'm rather upset.

I went to IGA the other day and searched high and low, all locations for some of those plastic drink paper box, like things and they don't sell them. The young lady at the check - out didn't have a clue about them either.

Can someone get on it, I'm not drinking water out of a plastic bottle no more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv58LBiy7OI
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Interesting experience: I have signed up for a rewards program for locals who shop in a certain store (which shall remain nameless because of the whole bad business review ban). One of the benefits of this membership is that I can now have my receipts e-mailed to me instead of printing out a receipt on that endocrine-disrupting, wasteful, chemical-laden paper.

What I noticed: By receiving the receipt by e-mail, I took a longer look at it than I would've just by leaving it on the counter for a short time before glancing at it and tossing. What does this have to do with single-use plastic? Well, it goes like this: I have been using a permanent bag for quite some time, and when I 'took that longer look' at my electronic receipt, I noticed I was charged for a plastic bag, one of which I did not receive from the store. I am certainly going to be watching for that now.

I wonder if the charge is a passive, default one that the point-of-sale system applies and that the cashier neglected to opt-out of, and how much money is the store making off of charging $0.05 (a petty thing to complain about, right?) for something the consumer did not receive. I'm thinking it could add up to a tidy little un-earned profit over the course of a year.

Interesting, right.... I would like to encourage everyone who uses a permanent bag 'where the locals shop' to review their receipts to see if they pay for phantom bags.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

They should ban styrofoam takeout containers, Lots still uses it
Though some places take it I bet much of it doesn't really get recycled

Return to “Social Concerns”