Kelowna Canada Day murder

Kelowna Canada Day murder

Postby the truth » Jan 27th, 2019, 9:32 am

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#247764 great news lets hope they get more than 6 month in jail.

removed. discuss the topic. not the mayor.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 27th, 2019, 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6507 posts

Re: Kelowna Canada Day murder

Postby bigtimeoperations » Jan 27th, 2019, 11:41 am

Disgusting! 2 weeks living in Kelowna and he gets brutally murdered by a couple of Queensway skids. On Canada Day too with families and kids all around! Who gives a *bleep* about protecting the identity of the 18 year olds involved, they're MURDERERS, their names are public record as far as I'm concerned. Their rights? What rights?

3 people like this post.
bigtimeoperations

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 27th, 2019, 1:33 pm

exactly.............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Piecemaker » Jan 27th, 2019, 3:14 pm

I believe that at age 18 one is considered to be an adult under Canada's Criminal Code.
One 18-year old is schedule to appear in court tomorrow. His name may be one the list. The other is scheduled to appear on February 14, so her name may be on the court list that day.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

normaM likes this post.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1701 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jan 27th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Depends on their age when the incident happened. If they turned 18 after the crime the prosecutor will more than likely be asking the judge to have them classified as adults.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

4 people like this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6518 posts

Postby bjsilent » Jan 27th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Nathan Truant used to stay at Cornerstone Shelter run by JHS! Who they housing at 1033 Hwy 97 just west of Gordon Ave? Its hush hush according to them yet i think the residents in the surrounding area deserve some answers!
bjsilent
Fledgling

Liked in: 389 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Jan 27th, 2019, 6:26 pm

They brought a knife. To me that’s intent to harm or kill, not manslaughter.
We See
We Judge

normaM likes this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1426 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 27th, 2019, 8:35 pm

bjsilent wrote:Nathan Truant used to stay at Cornerstone Shelter run by JHS! Who they housing at 1033 Hwy 97 just west of Gordon Ave? Its hush hush according to them yet i think the residents in the surrounding area deserve some answers!

great question...................
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby 36Drew » Jan 27th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:They brought a knife. To me that’s intent to harm or kill, not manslaughter.

Manslaughter is homicide committed without the intention to cause death. Murder is intent to kill. Prove that the accused outright intended to kill the victim, beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you can't prove there was bonafide and actual intent by the accused, they go free.

If you prefer to argue that the accused indeed caused the victim's death under the lesser charge of manslaughter, then you're welcome to do so. You don't need to prove intent - you simply need to prove the accused's actions caused the outcome.

Proving murder is difficult, and the risk is high that the accused would be acquitted.

The crown is simply choosing the charge that is most likely to prevail in court.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

brosy likes this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 559 posts

Postby Realeyesrealize » Jan 28th, 2019, 5:54 am

Nathan Truant has serious mental health issues, he may not even see a jail cell...unfortunately.

I hope he does.

2 people like this post.
Realeyesrealize

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jan 28th, 2019, 8:07 am

36Drew wrote:Manslaughter is homicide committed without the intention to cause death. Murder is intent to kill. Prove that the accused outright intended to kill the victim, beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you can't prove there was bonafide and actual intent by the accused, they go free.

If you prefer to argue that the accused indeed caused the victim's death under the lesser charge of manslaughter, then you're welcome to do so. You don't need to prove intent - you simply need to prove the accused's actions caused the outcome.

Proving murder is difficult, and the risk is high that the accused would be acquitted.

The crown is simply choosing the charge that is most likely to prevail in court.

This is an important point. The fact that the victim was still alive when the assailants left him could have some traction in court in creating doubt about intent.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1454 posts

Postby 36Drew » Jan 28th, 2019, 8:51 am

JayByrd wrote:This is an important point. The fact that the victim was still alive when the assailants left him could have some traction in court in creating doubt about intent.

Even if the victim died immediately - the accused could simply say they seized an opportunity to rob the victim and a fight ensued. The onus is on the prosecution to prove there was intent to kill the victim. The good news is that manslaughter can result in a life (25 years) sentence. Hopefully justice will prevail.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 559 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 28th, 2019, 9:04 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/murder-v ... -1.1155132 these 4 goofs could do as little as a year in jail for manslaughter , pretty sick if you ask me, once again the victim is the victim again
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby the truth » Jan 28th, 2019, 5:53 pm

the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby the truth » Jan 28th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Realeyesrealize wrote:Nathan Truant has serious mental health issues, he may not even see a jail cell...unfortunately.

I hope he does.

judge just gave him bail :200: :swear: out to reoffend again, safe bet he is at cornerstone or heart stone as we speak, no way in hell he stays out of trouble while on bail
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Next

Return to Central Okanagan