Buses to control lights

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Buses to control lights

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I've never said having single occupant vehicles in the hov lane bothers me, I could care less.
I suspect it may bother transit bus drivers, of course I wouldn't know since I don't use transit so no chance of asking the drivers.

dsldriver wrote:And the city and the environment would like to thank you for contributing to traffic congestion, greenhouse gas emissions and just generally being part of the problem. You're a pro!!!

For some reason transit drivers have problems with me bringing my tools on board, plus they are not willing to go off route & wait for me to finish my job.
Transit doesn't work for everyone i.e contractors, plumbers, electricians etc... etc
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The way the latest article is written, it leads to believe that the
drivers themselves are in control of when they want lights to change.

My view ? Don't like that a bit !
If the buses presence, in motion, towards a lighted intersection,
by just being there on approach shortens the cycle, by all means.

Having driver control...NO !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dirtybiker wrote:The way the latest article is written, it leads to believe that the
drivers themselves are in control of when they want lights to change.

My view ? Don't like that a bit !
If the buses presence, in motion, towards a lighted intersection,
by just being there on approach shortens the cycle, by all means.

Having driver control...NO !

Since when is the media ever accurate? :biggrin:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

OKkayak wrote:Since when is the media ever accurate? :biggrin:

Hence my trepidation afore forming a hard, in fact, opinion. :raspberry:
oscillate_wildly
Fledgling

Post by oscillate_wildly »

Excellent, this will pretty much assure every light I approach on Hwy 97 will turn red even more often than it already does.

Don't believe me?

Count the amount of traffic lights you cross from the airport to the entrance to William Bennett bridge and how many you are able to pass through without stopping at a red light or slowing down. This even occurs during off-peak hours.

They are timed ridiculously fast and priority to the side streets should be reduced by a significant amount. (50%?)

inb4, amateur armchair traffic engineer ranting here.
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

The number 97 express bus runs every 1/4 hour. Both directions. Therefore at any given traffic light the transit override, if the operator chooses, would be at max every 7-8 minutes, at any random intersection. I know. Pain in your backside, all of you single heads behind the wheel.
One can always reason with reason.
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

I had to read this letter a couple of times today from "Letters".

Why are buses so important?
Contributed - Feb 11, 2019 / 4:28 pm | Story: 249059

In what world is our city council living?
I read the report about buses receiving money to control the traffic lights. What a crock!
City council obviously feels it is important for buses to be able to clear their way through the city, but not emergency vehicles.
Emergency vehicles have to hope that the idiots on the road at intersections will actually stop.
Most of them feel they have the right to continue as they have a green, and the emergency vehicles, trying to make it through on a red, should stop for them.
I have been to cities where the emergency vehicles can control the lights and create straight path so they can get to the fire, health issue or crime in a timely fashion, but our council obviously feels it is more important for our buses to have the right of way.
Doug Greenwood, Kelowna
spooker

Post by spooker »

Andy S wrote:I had to read this letter a couple of times today from "Letters".

Same here ... I'm guessing the writer might be described by one of the posts in this thread: https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34843
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Same. How embarrassing for this letter writer. Nothing makes you seem like an idiot better than finding the biggest soapbox you can find to announce how passionate you are about a subject that you haven't bothered to do some basic research into - or even fully read the single news article that was published about it.

I'm glad Castanet makes publishing of the letter writer's name a requirement. In most cases, it makes people think twice before writing a letter, and makes them put a little more diligence into fact checking. In most cases tho - not all obviously.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

TylerM4 wrote:

Same. How embarrassing for this letter writer. Nothing makes you seem like an idiot better than finding the biggest soapbox you can find to announce how passionate you are about a subject that you haven't bothered to do some basic research into - or even fully read the single news article that was published about it.

I'm glad Castanet makes publishing of the letter writer's name a requirement. In most cases, it makes people think twice before writing a letter, and makes them put a little more diligence into fact checking. In most cases tho - not all obviously.

This one is equally as entertaining:

*********************************************************************************

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... et-it-melt

Plow it or let it melt?
Contributed - Feb 11, 2019 / 3:36 pm | Story: 249049

I am in super support of the city's new initiative for snow removal.

The "let's not do anything for 10 days until it melts" plan is a real efficient use of resources. They must be saving so very much money!

Why should little old ladies be allowed to walk their dogs without bailing on the ice?

Here's how the city appears to prioritize street clearing:

Priority 1 – Doing the whole Coquihalla first, maybe Harvey, perhaps a bus route or two. Drive around the mall a few times to make it look good.

Priority 2 – Let that melt ... it will be springtime soon enough.

Priority 3 – Just hope no one falls. That is gonna melt eventually, too.

They just keep jacking up our taxes and hoping we don't notice.

Scott Williams

********************************************************************************

First of all, he probably means the Connector, and since when is the City responsible to plow it??

:topic:
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

It's all good. Kind of relaxing entertaining reading. I rode on 5 buses today in total, starting at 6:30 am and fighting all the one-headed vehicles making a big mess at 4 pm, trying to get home. Point being, those who speak loudly and shout their names out may have an alternate pov. It's their prerogative :-)
spooker

Post by spooker »

And another one puts in their -$0.02 (yes, that's a negative two cents)

So, $181,125 in gas tax funds received from BC Transit is likely going to be dedicated for the purchase and installation of transit signal priority equipment.

Using tax money from motorists, the buses will now be able to wreak havoc on our major roads.

What is the point of having synchronized signals if the buses will just override them?

Just when you think the folks who run Kelowna can’t get any more stupid, they come up with something new.

Gord Marshall, Kelowna

Based on the vocal population I doubt anyone would consider Kelowna "progressive" ...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Funniest line in there to me is the knee-slapper
about synchronized lights. hahahahahaha !

What a "removed"
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

I wonder if people will now be speeding up to buses approaching intersections to catch the lights?
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

People speed up to >illegally pass buses trying to merge constantly. I see it. So, if driver road testing has totally gone out the window, which it has imho, I think it's better for buses to carry more people who should not be driving.

Return to “Central Okanagan”