Buses to control lights

Re: Buses to control lights

Postby kumazatheef » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:40 pm

WalterWhite wrote:Just to clarify, I have no issue with TSP and think its a good idea. As far as buses in the right lane, I have no issues either - they're an essential service and frankly - where else could they be expected to drive?

Understood :up:

WalterWhite wrote: I'm not suggesting an HOV lane for any of the other lanes either. My point was designating any of the existing lanes an HOV lane is a moot point. Other than costing a lot of money on signage it's had practically zero effect on driving habits because of the numerous intersections. I have yet to hear of any tickets being issued for HOV lane infractions here - anyone else?

GordonH wrote:I haven't heard of 1 ticket issued, chances are the police don't even look for that violation.

For what it's worth, I've known and personally witnessed people getting tickets for HOV lane infractions. So it does happen.
Right out of the gate, there was loud b*tching and complaining about the lanes so there was a portion of people who weren't even gonna try. That was frustrating because then others would say "see, it didn't work" ... sigh.

----

When first introduced, having the HOV lane 24/7 seemed silly, so was happy to see it reduced to specific hours.
Here's the thing though ... Those that did follow the rules were gonna follow the rules regardless, so it did free up some congestion in that left hand lane. Prior to HOV lane, trying to turn right onto the highway *out* of side-street or business was a waiting game. Getting a few cars out of that lane made gaps for people to do so. Conversely, if someone was turning right *in* to a side business often held up traffic behind them, thus if there were fewer cars in HOV, then fewer cars to back up (;cough; right-turn into Orchard Park Mall ;cough; ).

As for the buses, if there was a way to have a "bus-only" lane, that would indeed help speed up their drive-times, but obviously not something we can do in Kelowna.

We're a growing city, decades behind some bigger places that have already had to deal with the growing pains ... it would be well advised to learn from them (both what to do, and what not to do). It's arrogance to think that we know better, people need to look beyond the hills ...
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Liked in: 157 posts

Postby TerriJ73 » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:54 pm

GordonH wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:I have yet to hear of any tickets being issued for HOV lane infractions here - anyone else?

I haven't heard of 1 ticket issued, chances are the police don't even look for that violation.

People are pulled over all the time in the HOV lane, and it’s typically vehicles with no passengers.
TerriJ73
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 706 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:14 pm

kumazatheef wrote:For what it's worth, I've known and personally witnessed people getting tickets for HOV lane infractions. So it does happen.
Right out of the gate, there was loud b*tching and complaining about the lanes so there was a portion of people who weren't even gonna try. That was frustrating because then others would say "see, it didn't work" ... sigh.

As for the buses, if there was a way to have a "bus-only" lane, that would indeed help speed up their drive-times, but obviously not something we can do in Kelowna. Only way is having a elevated system i.e skytrain
Good luck getting funding (just look at cost of installing at the coast)

We're a growing city, decades behind some bigger places that have already had to deal with the growing pains Key point bigger places then here ... it would be well advised to learn from them (both what to do, and what not to do). It's arrogance to think that we know better, people need to look beyond the hills ...

Every day I see huge amount of single occupant vehicles using the HOV, with police around & no one is being pulled over.
Of course same can be said about cellphone glued to drivers ear, lack of enforcement for both violations.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9087 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby kumazatheef » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:21 pm

GordonH wrote: Key point bigger places then here

But they grew from somewhere. It's not like they magically started at 300,000 people.
Even teenagers eventually recognize that adults were once teenagers ... and that's what Kelowna is right now: an awkward uncoordinated teenager arrogantly thinking they know better and throwing a temper tantrum when they don't get their way.

GordonH wrote:Every day I see huge amount of single occupant vehicles using the HOV, with police around & no one is being pulled over.
Of course same can be said about cellphone glued to drivers ear, lack of enforcement for both violations.

So call them in ... take down the license plate, call the non-emergency line and state you noticed erratic driving.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Postby WalterWhite » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:25 pm

kumazatheef wrote:

But they grew from somewhere. It's not like they magically started at 300,000 people.
Even teenagers eventually recognize that adults were once teenagers ... and that's what Kelowna is right now: an awkward uncoordinated teenager arrogantly thinking they know better and throwing a temper tantrum when they don't get their way.

GordonH wrote:Every day I see huge amount of single occupant vehicles using the HOV, with police around & no one is being pulled over.

So call them in ... take down the license plate, call the non-emergency line and state you noticed erratic driving.

You’re not actually advocating calling in single occupant vehicles driving in the HOV lane are you?

3 people like this post.
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:26 pm

kumazatheef wrote:

Doing that while driving would make you just as guilty as the person you wish to report. :biggrin:
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Jan 30th, 2019, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

3 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7820 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:29 pm

WalterWhite wrote:You’re not actually advocating calling in single occupant vehicles driving in the HOV lane are you?

Total waste of time & resources, mine & the police. It would be similar to reporting a cyclist not wearing a helmet.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby kumazatheef » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote: Doing that while driving would make you just as guilty as the person you wish to report. :biggrin:

Pulling over would be obvious answer to that ...

GordonH wrote:with police around & no one is being pulled over.

GordonH wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:You’re not actually advocating calling in single occupant vehicles driving in the HOV lane are you?

Total waste of time & resources, mine & the police. It would be similar to reporting a cyclist not wearing a helmet.

Seriously?!? Serious?!?
First the complaint that police aren't doing anything, then when solution is offered, having them actually do something is a waste of time. Can't win for losing ...

Personally, I've never called in single-occupancy vehicles in the HOV lane, but while it can be annoying it doesn't bother me enough to care (let alone whinge about it on a forum).
However, I have called in people on their cell-phones (which, I might add, was one of the examples provided about cops not doing anything). In those incidents it was because of near-hit scenario that endangered several vehicles.

This is obviously far beyond point of this thread, so I'll stop it there.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Postby GordonH » Jan 30th, 2019, 3:09 pm

^^^ I've never said having single occupant vehicles in the hov lane bothers me, I could care less.
I suspect it may bother transit bus drivers, of course I wouldn't know since I don't use transit so no chance of asking the drivers.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 30th, 2019, 6:45 pm

GordonH wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:I have yet to hear of any tickets being issued for HOV lane infractions here - anyone else?

I haven't heard of 1 ticket issued, chances are the police don't even look for that violation.

Do you hear about any/all traffic tickets issued for any/all infractions?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

OKkayak likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4863 posts

Postby dle » Jan 31st, 2019, 3:23 pm

I move over into the HOV lane in the second block from where I am going to turn right. I tried to go over in the same block as I was turning( like we are supposed to) when we first got the HOV....hahahahahaha! Not a hope in hell would anyone take their foot off the gas for one nano-second to let me scoot over and it was way too nerve-wracking for me - so sue me - I'm going over 2 blocks away from my turn. Anyone rats someone out for being in that lane a block early to turn I hope the bird of paradise flies up your nose! Driving in this town is insane enough without this stupid lane sitting empty while the other two are full bumper to bumper of cars sitting idling at times! Last winter the middle lane was so full of potholes from the semis that it was almost impossible to use it anyway. Putting all that traffic into two lanes including semis etc puts way more wear and tear on them rendering them basically useless. Some of those holes were caverns! NO way I'm wrecking my car falling into one of those just to avoid that stupid HOV lane - I'll take my ticket if I get one. I have a feeling the police feel the lane is stupid as well and unless they follow someone for a mile in it they probably won't pull someone over for being safe!

You listening Gail Givens and Ryan Donn??? You want to risk YOUR lives or your vehicles, you just go right ahead, but I'll thank you not to insist I do the same. I'm a safety first driver, not a please city council driver.

2 people like this post.
dle
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2551 posts

Postby spooker » Jan 31st, 2019, 5:15 pm

Just in case you didn't know ... bicycles are legal in the HOV lane ... except for the odd right hook from an oblivious/distracted/impatient driver it's been smooth sailing ...

Though I did have a close pass from a 97 bus on a holiday when the highway we pretty empty ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 1003 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 31st, 2019, 5:28 pm

spooker wrote:Just in case you didn't know ... bicycles are legal in the HOV lane ... except for the odd right hook from an oblivious/distracted/impatient driver it's been smooth sailing ...

Though I did have a close pass from a 97 bus on a holiday when the highway we pretty empty ...

Wow, you must have strong legs.
Being able to do 50kph west of Burtch & 60kpm east of Burtch. Just giving you hard time.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby spooker » Jan 31st, 2019, 5:36 pm

GordonH wrote:
Wow, you must have strong legs.
Being able to do 50kph west of Burtch & 60kpm east of Burtch. Just giving you hard time.

It's all in the gearing ... the diameter of my front sprocket equals the length of my cranks ... j/k

I will admit to getting a perverse pleasure riding along Harvey when the traffic is at a stand-still due to a collision on the bridge ... sorry
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 1003 posts

Postby dsldriver » Feb 8th, 2019, 8:10 pm

GordonH wrote:^^^ I've never said having single occupant vehicles in the hov lane bothers me, I could care less.
I suspect it may bother transit bus drivers, of course I wouldn't know since I don't use transit so no chance of asking the drivers.

And the city and the environment would like to thank you for contributing to traffic congestion, greenhouse gas emissions and just generally being part of the problem. You're a pro!!!
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 59 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan