Encampment frustrates local landowner

Re: Encampment frustrates local landowner

Postby wanderer » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:21 am

What I'm saying is the city needs to take some responsibility for the homeless problem, and not push the burden onto hapless landowners, especially farmers who have land the homeless squat on.
wanderer
Board Meister

Liked in: 631 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:22 am

wanderer wrote:I am not the one responsible for NO REAL affordable housing UNTIL it has become a crisis. Affordable housing that is 5% below the market value has not addressed the homeless or working poor accommodation problem for the past 15 years, which is part of the reason for homelessness. Maybe the city councilors and city planner and managers, and developers (who have been getting rich on real estate) should be out there volunteering.

Neither are the Union employees who would be the ones you believe should not be paid for this clean up.

If you are complaining about the City using equipment, man hours to clean up homeless camps and want it to end please provide a better solution.
Either leave the property owner stranded with the time / cost (which no one deserves)
Or you start a volunteer organization so you can help them for free (that way City employees will not have to be involved)

PS. It is 2019. Nothing is "free" anymore

youjustcomplain likes this post.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 814 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:26 am

alanjh595 wrote:
soupy wrote:
So if the city recruits volunteers to clean up homeless camps without pay you will be first in line to help right?

Sounds like a good way for those that community service hours.

This is spot on Alan.
Get a good old fashion "Chain-gang" going with all the petty criminals to keep them busy until their next court appearance.
I'd like to see them forced to clean up and be supervised than riding around the streets stealing / dealing.

3 people like this post.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby wanderer » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:29 am

soupy wrote:
wanderer wrote:I am not the one responsible for NO REAL affordable housing UNTIL it has become a crisis. Affordable housing that is 5% below the market value has not addressed the homeless or working poor accommodation problem for the past 15 years, which is part of the reason for homelessness. Maybe the city councilors and city planner and managers, and developers (who have been getting rich on real estate) should be out there volunteering.

Neither are the Union employees who would be the ones you believe should not be paid for this clean up.

If you are complaining about the City using equipment, man hours to clean up homeless camps and want it to end please provide a better solution.
Either leave the property owner stranded with the time / cost (which no one deserves)
Or you start a volunteer organization so you can help them for free (that way City employees will not have to be involved)

Maybe the City should put "homeless camp cleanup" in their budget. They should not be penalizing the landowner through bylaw enforcement.
wanderer
Board Meister

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:32 am

alanjh595 wrote:
So if the city recruits volunteers to clean up homeless camps without pay you will be first in line to help right?

Sounds like a good way for those that community service hours.[/quote]

soupy wrote:This is spot on Alan.
Get a good old fashion "Chain-gang" going with all the petty criminals to keep them busy until their next court appearance.
I'd like to see them forced to clean up and be supervised than riding around the streets stealing / dealing.

Perhaps then, the courts would be more anxious to had out generous amounts of community service hour sentences, especially if they can see positive results in the community.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

soupy likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4844 posts

Postby twofingers » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:35 am

The camp has been there for years. When we, as neighbours in the Industrial Park, got tired of the nightly property damage, pilfering, and theft, we complained to CofK bylaws officers. We were told in 2016 that their hands were tied because the property owners were allowing the ‘campers’ to stay there. So much fun having to buy a new batch of propane tanks every two weeks! Wonder where the real truth lies.
twofingers
Board Meister

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby wanderer » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:42 am

soupy wrote:

The city pays the Union employees not the landowner. I have no problem with the Union at all. Putting words in my text? The city needs to subsidize the clean up, does not mean do not pay city employees!
wanderer
Board Meister

Postby dogspoiler » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:56 am

I would start with some organic fertilizer, and a good watering to turn the place into a mudhole. Why are the Police not coming to a trespassing incident ?
I cast my pearls before swine

2 people like this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2888 posts

Postby cv23 » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:59 am

soupy wrote:It is 2019. Nothing is "free" anymore

Except housing and naloxone for some

4 people like this post.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 1953 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 29th, 2019, 11:01 am

wanderer wrote:
The city pays the Union employees not the landowner. I have no problem with the Union at all. Putting words in my text? The city needs to subsidize the clean up, does not mean do not pay city employees!

Bylaw came out recinding the fine for the homeowner.

They do subsidize. It is called taxes.
Would you like them to create a new budget item called "homeless camp cleanup" and set a specific amount to it?
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby soupy » Jan 29th, 2019, 11:02 am

cv23 wrote:
soupy wrote:It is 2019. Nothing is "free" anymore

Except housing and naloxone for some

LOL touche!

Granted it is only free for the end user. We are paying for it.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby pieinthei » Jan 29th, 2019, 11:11 am

dogspoiler wrote:I would start with some organic fertilizer, and a good watering to turn the place into a mudhole. Why are the Police not coming to a trespassing incident ?

trespassing charges only happen to law abiding individuals.. therefore, never.. there are different sets of rules for junkies

Relentless likes this post.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 875 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Jan 29th, 2019, 11:41 am

From the looks of what was left laying around, some charges of stolen goods would be likely.
I cast my pearls before swine

Lore likes this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2888 posts

Postby youjustcomplain » Jan 29th, 2019, 12:01 pm

wanderer wrote:Maybe the City should put "homeless camp cleanup" in their budget. They should not be penalizing the landowner through bylaw enforcement.

Absolutely agree there. Bylaws should be working with the property owner to solve the problem. Fining the property owner does not solve a problem so it should not be an option.

I suspect the fine came from a complaint, which is mostly how bylaws get involved in the first place.

pieinthei likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 569 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 29th, 2019, 12:02 pm

dogspoiler wrote:From the looks of what was left laying around, some charges of stolen goods would be likely.

Charging whom? The landowner?...After all it was found on his property. A transient? ....What address are they going serve the search warrant on and what name are they going to put on that warrant? After all, they had just arrived there and would be moving on the very next day.

Would that be a charge of; Possession of Stolen Property, or Theft under $5,000?
What are either of those "charges" have of succeeding in court?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

soupy likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4844 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan