Encampment frustrates local landowner

Re: Encampment frustrates local landowner

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 29th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Bpeep wrote:Society should not make it easy for anyone to be homeless.

Homelessness is big business though, and an easier controled population.

Society has no dog in the fight against sociatal concerns.

(There I go, off to conspiracy thread) Lol.
Last edited by dirtybiker on Jan 29th, 2019, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3850 posts

Postby wakeup13 » Jan 29th, 2019, 9:31 pm

I have read here a suggestion to remove the trees. Great idea, BUT, read the laws on removing trees in a riparian area. I can't find the rules off hand but it seems to me when we lived beside a creek, we were not allowed to remove any trees that were closer than 20 feet of the creek bank. We finally got permission to remove 3 cottonwood trees the beavers had chewed over half way through and they then deemed them a hazard tree so we could take them down.
The city should not be charging the land owner and they should help in the cleanup. Yes, sprinklers would work great, yet they would be destroyed the first night they came on, way too costly for a land owner unless they could be strung way high up in the trees.
I love many of the comments, but very few are what I call constructive. Maybe it would help if some of you volunteered to patrol along with the land owner's son during the day or early evenings. It sounds like the land owner is a senior and could use some community help rather than lip service. I would but I am not in good enough health to be of any use.
wakeup13

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:10 pm

wakeup13 wrote:I have read here a suggestion to remove the trees. Great idea, BUT, read the laws on removing trees in a riparian area. I can't find the rules off hand but it seems to me when we lived beside a creek, we were not allowed to remove any trees that were closer than 20 feet of the creek bank. We finally got permission to remove 3 cottonwood trees the beavers had chewed over half way through and they then deemed them a hazard tree so we could take them down.
The city should not be charging the land owner and they should help in the cleanup. Yes, sprinklers would work great, yet they would be destroyed the first night they came on, way too costly for a land owner unless they could be strung way high up in the trees.
I love many of the comments, but very few are what I call constructive. Maybe it would help if some of you volunteered to patrol along with the land owner's son during the day or early evenings. It sounds like the land owner is a senior and could use some community help rather than lip service. I would but I am not in good enough health to be of any use.

The city added security patrols in the Sutherland area on taxpayer’s dime. This is clearly a problem beyond the property owner’s control - maybe they should do the same here. Problem is, whether it’s city bylaw or private security or just well intentioned citizens (really don’t condone that approach imo) the group will simply move on to a new plot of land.

Bpeep likes this post.
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jan 29th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Cut the trees, leave a buffer zone, blame it on vandals. .
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2557 posts

Postby WheelWeaves » Jan 29th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Add sprinklers in winter, release mass amounts of red fire ants in spring/summer.... Problem solved.

pieinthei likes this post.
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Liked in: 180 posts

Postby trapp » Jan 29th, 2019, 11:40 pm

I have some skunk essence we use in scent for trapping various critters. Perhaps some strategically sprayed spots here and there would discourage the vagrant campers. Simple, inexpensive and effective. :130:
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

trapp
Übergod

Liked in: 411 posts

Postby Mark1111 » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:26 am

With summer coming we can add camp fire negligence to the list of growing forest fire risks.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#247971
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Mark1111
Board Meister

Liked in: 414 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:33 am

There's been fires already because of transients etc.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7760 posts

Postby dle » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:48 am

Mark1111 wrote:You know we live in a world where tech is changing everything and doing it faster daily than we ever realize possible. Robotics on assembly lines are being refined to perform better and faster with each new software release. Automated warehousing is replacing middle class working folks while I type this response. In every industry I see ( and am somewhat responsible for as some of you are) efficiencies in processes that displace more and more people. We see 40 and 50 year old people, in what was thought to be stable safe life long careers, that don’t have the capacity or opportunity to make a life changing career move because they either cannot ignore their present obligations or do not have the capacity to jump into a technologically intense learning program are / will find themselves without a paycheck, and in such numbers, it should scare the *bleep* out of us. The new world order looks for cost cutting at all levels in all fields because the market economy’s ‘maximization of profit’ demands a marginally larger bottom line to hold shareholders to stay put. This isn’t stuff I am making up and it’s not just a catch phrase, it’s the new normal.

The frightening reality is that these tent cities that we see today are just the tip of the iceberg. They are just the beginning.
We need to start thinking about dealing with homeless numbers in the thousands not the infinitesimally small numbers we see now.

OK, apocalyptic rant over. But still food for thought no?

Great post - and I totally agree. If I could add another scary thought. We would be doing ourselves a favour by realizing that once all the automation and 'bots and online stores take over from the humans the economy will die. If there are jobs, and no humans collecting paycheques, there is no money to buy the products being produced, the businesses would have to shut down as well. Where will life as we know it go from there? Tent cities might be the least of our worries as a species.

I think sometimes progress and technology fail to see the forest for the trees.
dle
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2551 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 30th, 2019, 8:13 am

Meanwhile, aren't these people using their access to the creek as a bathroom? I know that there are "Fish Habitat" signs along that creek.
Isn't the Provincial government responsible for enforcing those rules and laws?
Why aren't all the environmental nuts involved in this?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4863 posts

Postby dle » Jan 30th, 2019, 9:40 am

alanjh595 wrote:Meanwhile, aren't these people using their access to the creek as a bathroom? I know that there are "Fish Habitat" signs along that creek.
Isn't the Provincial government responsible for enforcing those rules and laws?
Why aren't all the environmental nuts involved in this?

You nailed this one! It's all fine and good to be feeling empathy for those who don't have anywhere to live but c'mon, when they start fires (however unintentionally), and contaminating the waterways, the authorities MUST step in to put an end to it. It's annoying how common sense about these things just seems to go by the wayside for fear of being seen to be callous or uncaring.

3 people like this post.
dle
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2551 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Jan 30th, 2019, 10:31 am

Fancy wrote:There's been fires already because of transients etc.

Another one yesterday...

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... -in-flames
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby pieinthei » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:16 am

The couple have been homeless for a few years and are struggling to find somewhere to live. They said they are worried about their things being stolen at shelters so they choose to live beside the highway.

kinda makes you wonder when the homeless won't stay at a homeless shelter because their stuff might get stolen
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 875 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:22 am

pieinthei wrote:
The couple have been homeless for a few years and are struggling to find somewhere to live. They said they are worried about their things being stolen at shelters so they choose to live beside the highway.

kinda makes you wonder when the homeless won't stay at a homeless shelter because their stuff might get stolen

Even they have enough sense to avoid the shelters and other high crime areas. No honor among thieves. Could also be that they don't want to be charged with "Possession of Stolen Property".
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

soupy likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4863 posts

Postby one wheel » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:05 pm

People that have to live with the results of the homeless in Kelowna are exasperated because of going round & round without results ? Why should landowners be responsible for dealing with these people or cleaning up whatever they leave behind ? Where were the Bylaw & Police when these camps first got set up ?
We hear a lot of advice from "higher ups" but it's really just passing the buck.

one wheel
Board Meister

Liked in: 520 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan