50 New workers wanted....

50 New workers wanted....

Postby dle » Jan 30th, 2019, 10:24 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/24 ... ew-workers

Just in case anyone missed this on the news today.....if you know of anyone looking for a job this could be a good lead.

I know they've been around for eons so probably stable, not a bad starting wage for entry-level, with room for advancement, and all different kinds of levels, and shifts available....

Good for them for staying in the valley and creating 50 new opportunities right here in our piece of the world.

6 people like this post.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 1748 posts

Re: 50 New workers wanted....

Postby Even Steven » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:21 pm

$15/hour wage doesn't get employees knocking on your doors like it used to...
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2129 posts

Postby pieinthei » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Even Steven wrote:$15/hour wage doesn't get employees knocking on your doors like it used to...

this is a STARTING wage.. problem is that people think they are worth a heck of a lot more than they are.. i run into this all the time. take the job, prove yourself, and good things happen.

7 people like this post.
pieinthei
Fledgling

Liked in: 247 posts

Postby dle » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Even Steven wrote:$15/hour wage doesn't get employees knocking on your doors like it used to...

For a STARTING wage it is $2.35 over minimum here in BC which isn't bad at all considering there is room for advancement. Sounds like one could climb the ladder to a better wage and more responsibilities and make a career out of it. Some places there aren't ladders to climb and you are stuck at your starting wage for long stretches - sometimes that's all the job ever pays. That kind of job won't cut it around here as a living wage, but what these guys are offering sounds pretty fair to me.

3 people like this post.
dle
Übergod

Postby dle » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:40 pm

pieinthei wrote:

this is a STARTING wage.. problem is that people think they are worth a heck of a lot more than they are.. i run into this all the time. take the job, prove yourself, and good things happen.

agreed....everyone has to start somewhere and work their way up and this seems fair. Once you show them what you've got and where you want to go, chances are they will help you get there.

It seems a lot of people of all ages have champagne tastes on a beer budget when they are starting out which doesn't help - they don't want to have to "budget", horrible word, they just want to be able to buy the shiny new F-150 and the Iphone 10 right out of the gate....unrealistic if you want to live in the real world and not be crushed with debt. You tagged it when you said "prove yourself and good things will happen"!

2 people like this post.
dle
Übergod

Postby countmeout » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:14 pm

I've got evidence it does lol, unfortunately it's too confidential to share. Please are eager to work for $2 over minimum wage, beats flipping burgers!
countmeout
Fledgling

Liked in: 195 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 30th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Only problem I can see with the wage is the distance one has to travel to get that ...

I doubt many would want to take the bus if there is one , so a vehicle would be a necessity pretty much and that would take the lions share of 15 buck an hour
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4398 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 30th, 2019, 4:02 pm

MAPearce wrote:Only problem I can see with the wage is the distance one has to travel to get that ...

I doubt many would want to take the bus if there is one , so a vehicle would be a necessity pretty much and that would take the lions share of 15 buck an hour

Taking transit will all depend on start times &/or finish times each day.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8092 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby RVThereYet » Jan 30th, 2019, 5:30 pm

GordonH wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Only problem I can see with the wage is the distance one has to travel to get that ...

Taking transit will all depend on start times &/or finish times each day.

Shift start/end times will play a role in the ability to take transit to that job location. I’ve read job ads from other companies located in that area that clearly stated prospective employees need their own transportation in order to make their scheduled shift as transit schedules do not align well with their work schedule.
RVThereYet
Board Meister

Liked in: 563 posts

Re: 50 New workers wanted..

Postby kgcayenne » Jan 30th, 2019, 5:57 pm

They should really have also stated what the potential wages are beyond entry level. I guess it means they are only looking for entry level types.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Vacancyrate likes this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4077 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 30th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Shift start/end times will play a role in the ability to take transit to that job location. I’ve read job ads from other companies located in that area that clearly stated prospective employees need their own transportation in order to make their scheduled shift as transit schedules do not align well with their work schedule.

So , you're saying 15 bones an hours isn't all that good IF you need a vehicle for the commute ?
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4398 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 30th, 2019, 6:16 pm

pieinthei wrote:

Offer the job to the two homeless people that lost everything in yesterday's fire. See if they are willing to accept/apply.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3805 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Take the 23 to Commonwealth Rd (first one leaves UBC at 550 and its a 15 minute walk from there.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1484 posts

Postby Vacancyrate » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:19 pm

24,000 a year after taxes. 2000 per month.

1200 minimum for rent (better hope utilities are included)
500/month for food (eating the no name brands)
Cell phone bill 70/month (can't apply for a job without a phone)
Internet bill 60/month (can't apply for a job/participate in society without the internet)

1830 a month expenses - 170 a month left over for clothes and to "save up for college".

No car/insurance and god help you if a emergency bill shows up. No going out no dating no life no vacations. Take the bus all the way out to Winfield to work and get fired after a month because the bus just randomly doesn't show up. You're guaranteed be late a few times if you rely on Kelowna public transit. Many companies locally won't hire you unless you have a car because Kelowna transit is notorious. The place is 24/7 so you won't be taking the bus for the night shifts, but you can always hitchhike to work or move to Winfield and walk.

"Room for advancement" - work here for 3 years get a dollar a hour raise right before they close the place down and move it to Mexico/North Carolina.

Seriously screw these guys.
Last edited by Vacancyrate on Jan 30th, 2019, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vacancyrate
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 636 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:24 pm

OKkayak wrote:I doubt many would want to take the bus if there is one , so a vehicle would be a necessity pretty much and that would take the lions share of 15 buck an hour

Take the 23 to Commonwealth Rd (first one leaves UBC at 550 and its a 15 minute walk from there.

Here are the job posting for Natural Factors at bottom of each job details is schedule time:
https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Sea ... rch=Canada

First couple are transit friendly, not sure a 6am start time would happen (via transit that is).
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8092 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Next

Return to Central Okanagan