Still searching for cowboy.....

Still searching for cowboy.....

Postby dle » Jan 31st, 2019, 2:31 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/248172 ... for-cowboy

Not sure which region Merritt falls under but I'll post it here.....

Sending positive thoughts over that way for the 'poke. Too bad that horse can't lead them back. They always seem find their way home to their barn so I can only guess the cowboy must have fallen off or got off himself and wasn't able to get back on for whatever reason. Even if the guy was hurt and unable to do much more than hang on to that horse it would have brought him home.

Am I dreaming this or are there not search dogs, like the avalanche dogs, that can track through snow and find people?

Anyways, hope this all ends well so saying a prayer for his safe return.

3 people like this post.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 1998 posts

Re: Still searching for cowboy.....

Postby Piecemaker » Jan 31st, 2019, 3:26 pm

I read that a big part of the problem in finding him is that they don't know where he was riding. He was off work that day and went riding.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

superbee likes this post.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1781 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 31st, 2019, 7:20 pm

Too bad it wasn't just so easy as to hop on his horses back
and say "go find Ben" into it's ear. Go along for the ride.

Hope a positive outcome.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

4 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3578 posts

Postby dle » Feb 1st, 2019, 6:49 am

Piecemaker wrote:I read that a big part of the problem in finding him is that they don't know where he was riding. He was off work that day and went riding.

Yes, searching for a needle in a haystack....although the article did mention they have found some clues and tracks ....hopefully they lead them to him...

2 people like this post.
dle
Übergod

Postby Fancy » Feb 1st, 2019, 9:40 am

The search would be hampered by the wild horses in the area. There's also speculation he was hauled into the area so there would be hope that someone will see the news and come forward. It is a mystery that I hope has a happy ending.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

3 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7126 posts

Postby gardengirl » Feb 1st, 2019, 12:19 pm

So sad. I hope he had emergency supplies with him.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

4 people like this post.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 673 posts

Postby dle » Feb 1st, 2019, 1:43 pm

This is all just so strange eh? The ranch says they never go out alone unless they use a call-in system, this cowboy is particularly safety conscious, they aren't even sure what day he went out but they think it was on a day off, no clue even what direction he was going, an experienced ranch hand and woodsman. Now all of that tells me that he would be the type of guy to tell someone at least where he was headed and approximately how long he'd be gone if even for just a short time, if nothing else. ALL the circumstances just seem to go totally against what would be his norm....

He's only been at Nicola Ranch since November so he might not know the wildlands beyond the ranch properties much at all. I'm guessing that unless Nicola has an early calving season rather than March or so there wouldn't be any in the fields yet to be checking on and they'd still be really new babies and in close - maybe in pens - and the herd would be all down in winter grazing. Maybe rode out to fix a fence but I'm thinking the fence lines would be the first place they'd search. If there were missing cattle or broken fences though someone else on the ranch would more than likely know about it and know if he would have been taking care of that and they'd have a clue which direction to look.

It's just curiouser and curiouser....

There would be other horse prints including the wild ones but his horse would be shod, the wild ones wouldn't, so they'd at least be able to eliminate the wild ones a bit from that. The snow hampers everything too. Horse could have got spooked and threw him but it takes a lot to unseat a seasoned cowboy .... icy trails might be different thing though.

Sure hope they get a solid lead soon, it must be very frustrating and scary for everyone....

3 people like this post.
dle
Übergod

Postby ferri » Feb 1st, 2019, 1:59 pm

“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 9893 posts

Postby dle » Feb 1st, 2019, 2:09 pm

ferri wrote:Mystery of missing cowboy

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/248281 ... ing-cowboy

I see they've added some pics of him at work to this story.....

2 people like this post.
dle
Übergod

Postby gardengirl » Feb 3rd, 2019, 11:14 pm

I have to wonder if someone helped this guy disappear. By all accounts, he was very experienced and would not likely get lost or thrown off his horse. I would also think he would have had emergency supplies, matches, flares, something to indicate he was in trouble. Such a sad story.

2 people like this post.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Postby dle » Feb 4th, 2019, 9:46 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/248405 ... -suspended

This is very sad news....I know we had all hoped for a story-book happy ending here but that is looking pretty remote at this point. I'm still holding out hope that he found a trapper's cabin with some food and firewood and is holed up in there - just because his horse was found in an area doesn't necessarily mean that's where he dismounted....

It just doesn't seem to make any sense at all....I hope the mystery gets solved.....I can't help but think that someone has to know something about this... just a spideysense....but likely wishful thinking....

dle
Übergod

Postby JayByrd » Feb 4th, 2019, 10:43 am

gardengirl wrote:I have to wonder if someone helped this guy disappear. By all accounts, he was very experienced and would not likely get lost or thrown off his horse. I would also think he would have had emergency supplies, matches, flares, something to indicate he was in trouble. Such a sad story.

I am left wondering the same thing. It's also crossed my mind (and I mean no disrespect to this man, I know nothing about him) that this may have been suicide.

As you others have said, it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that he was thrown from the horse and couldn't get back on. We're left with a one-in-a-million accident or medical situation, foul play, or that he has disappeared on purpose.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1518 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 4th, 2019, 10:44 am

I wonder about the broken rein.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7126 posts

Postby gardengirl » Feb 4th, 2019, 10:58 am

gardengirl wrote:I have to wonder if someone helped this guy disappear. By all accounts, he was very experienced and would not likely get lost or thrown off his horse. I would also think he would have had emergency supplies, matches, flares, something to indicate he was in trouble. Such a sad story.

JayByrd wrote:I am left wondering the same thing. It's also crossed my mind (and I mean no disrespect to this man, I know nothing about him) that this may have been suicide.

As you others have said, it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that he was thrown from the horse and couldn't get back on. We're left with a one-in-a-million accident or medical situation, foul play, or that he has disappeared on purpose.

I doubt it would be suicide. A career cowboy would probably have made sure the horse was ok.

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Postby dle » Feb 4th, 2019, 11:02 am

Fancy wrote:I wonder about the broken rein.

I missed seeing anything about a broken rein Fancy....was it in an article or on the news?

dle
Übergod

Next

Return to Central Okanagan