What is city spraying?

Re: What is city spraying?

Postby Glacier » Feb 6th, 2019, 10:40 am

Washington State doesn't salt their roads, which saves them (ie. taxpayers) millions upon millions of dollars per year. It also saves aquatic life. We, on the other hand, demand more and more salt and sand every year. Just wait until the new contracts come up next year with the new even more stringent rules for removing snow come into effect. You and high will be paying even more. Even though we get less snow than in decades past, we pay much more to plow the roads.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12814 posts

Postby mrsh » Feb 6th, 2019, 12:15 pm

LTD wrote:well considering I drove over 30 kilometers of the *bleep* sprayed all over the roads instead of a little salt and sand being put down on corners and intersections im gonna say its a lot worse for your vehicle and it most certainly does not dry quickly just a guess but do you work for the city lol

I am not affiliated at all with the city or the salt companies :)

Of course if you now change the story to "only salting corners and intersections" then there will be less salt on the roadways which should cause less corrosion. But to say that salt in liquid form is somehow worse than solid form is simply not true.

Too many people have issues operating a motor vehicle in the best of conditions, so methods to reduce ice build-up on roads, while possibly corroding our vehicles at a quicker race, become more prevalent to keep our commutes from becoming demolition derbies :138:
mrsh

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 6th, 2019, 12:16 pm

ArcticCatHouse wrote:Is this what is used in Kelowna?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e37673031/

Good article, thanks.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3850 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 6th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Glacier wrote:Washington State doesn't salt their roads, which saves them (ie. taxpayers) millions upon millions of dollars per year. It also saves aquatic life.

Seems Washington State does use salt.

In Southwest Washington, salt was used a lot more. The Washington State Department of Transportation mixes the salt with the de-icer to help it stick to the roadway. WSDOT crews are also working around-the-clock.

https://www.koin.com/weather/round-the- ... 1757503396
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7760 posts

Postby voice of reason » Feb 11th, 2019, 12:57 pm

would it kill the city (kelowna or west kelowna ) to throw some sand down on the road? over all the snow removal in my area and along my commute has been good this year but there are a few icy hills that receive zero sand at all. a 10% grade needs to be sanded.i dont know if they are trying to save money on sweeping the streets this spring or what but i do not see sand anywhere
voice of reason
Übergod

Liked in: 1658 posts

Postby Symbonite » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:18 pm

studded tires go a long way...just asked a tow truck driver the other day....he said you could have the best winter non studded tires but when it comes to ice...the studs act as sand..they grip in more..
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

2 people like this post.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 992 posts

Postby contestwinner » Feb 15th, 2019, 7:19 am

We had the same stuff on our cars underside. It was definatly oil. I can only assume that someone took out the wrong truck that night thinking it was de-icerj
contestwinner

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 15th, 2019, 7:47 am

voice of reason wrote:would it kill the city (kelowna or west kelowna ) to throw some sand down on the road? over all the snow removal in my area and along my commute has been good this year but there are a few icy hills that receive zero sand at all. a 10% grade needs to be sanded.i dont know if they are trying to save money on sweeping the streets this spring or what but i do not see sand anywhere

They sand our Cul-de-sac after every snowfall that sticks around. It's flat, go figure!
Being an Adult is the dumbest thing I have ever done!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13321 posts

Postby cv23 » Feb 15th, 2019, 9:29 am

Bsuds wrote:They sand our Cul-de-sac after every snowfall that sticks around. It's flat, go figure!

So far this winter our street has seen the trucks just once, after the light dusting last week. Even at that they didn't scrape or spread anything so you have no idea why they bothered.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 1954 posts

Postby the truth » Feb 15th, 2019, 10:01 am

that's what happens why they hire losers
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7869 posts

Postby OKkayak » Feb 15th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Metro Vancouver doesn't drop a grain of sand, it's all spray and salt. Roads, sidewalks all salted.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5108 posts

Postby Divor » Feb 15th, 2019, 10:11 pm

the goop they are spraying in the road is not to melt the snow. What it does is raises the road temp. to help prevent black ice. you have a road temp of 0 degree's and an air temp. of +3 or less that creates black ice. the stuff they are putting down helps preventing the black ice.
Divor
Fledgling

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby mrsh » Feb 15th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Divor wrote:the goop they are spraying in the road is not to melt the snow. What it does is raises the road temp. to help prevent black ice. you have a road temp of 0 degree's and an air temp. of +3 or less that creates black ice. the stuff they are putting down helps preventing the black ice.

The “goop” is salt, and it lowers the freezing point of water; water freezing at a lower temp inhibits ice formation (until it gets really cold).

Glacier likes this post.
mrsh

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby Divor » Feb 15th, 2019, 11:19 pm

some company's use salt some use beet juices. same affect, it reduces the chance of ice.
Divor
Fledgling

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby stuphoto » Feb 16th, 2019, 5:34 am

I have worked spraying it in past. Its actually pretty nasty stuff that eats metal quickly, dries out your skin if you get it on. Destroys leather products instantly. Plus there is no way to stop it from running into lakes, rivers, and streams.

If the tankers we hauled it in aren't lined it only takes a few years to rott them out.

Here is an article on it.

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/columni ... ng-streets

The only reason I can see anyone liking it is because it is easier to clean in the spring.
Plus you will of course have to replace your car more often, so a bonus to car dealers.
Personally I think the long term effects will be more costly.

2 people like this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 582 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan