Dog choked by snare

Dog choked by snare

Postby Fancy » Feb 3rd, 2019, 6:31 am

There has been discussions and news items before about dogs getting into traplines and it seems some of the public just aren't getting the message about the danger.

Information on the legality of traplines:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sport ... apping.pdf

I'm posting this because of the recent article on Castanet:

A Kelowna man is warning pet owners to be careful near a popular recreation trail after his dog, Boss, was caught in a snare trap on Friday.

"I was shoeshoeing on High Rim trail off Highway 97 near Goudie Road when my Rottweiler took off, then I heard him yelp. I ran over the top of a snowbank and found him with this cable around his neck," says Dustin Pearson.

"I got him free, and he didn't require any medical attention," Pearson added, but he's concerned about what might have happened to a smaller pet.

"It's clearly illegal, and the area is used by lots of families to go sledding and walk their pets. It is close, it's not like your deep in the woods somewhere."

Pearson has tried to find the trapper who is baiting the traps with dead animals apparently to try attract wolves and coyotes. He has also attempted to reach the conservation service.

"I have a pretty big dog. I would hate to see what would happen to a small animal – they would suffocate or freeze, it would be a horrible death," said Pearson.

"I took down three traps, but I want people to be aware this is out there. A kennel club comes up here for nature hikes with people's daycare dogs. It could be a really bad situation if something isn't done."

There are legal traplines so it is imperative that people look after their dogs on any property - especially when that property doesn't belong to them.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

8 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6690 posts

Re: Dog choked by snare

Postby George Orwell 1984 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 6:44 am

Thank you for posting that. I was just about to do that myself. If in fact the traps were set legally it is the person who interfered with them that is at fault here.It is an offence to interfere with a legally set trap. The person who did this may be subject to prosecution.This is someone’s livelihood.

6 people like this post.
George Orwell 1984

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Feb 3rd, 2019, 7:57 am

Illegal to interfere with a trapline, and illegal to let your dog run loose in a wildlife area. There's only one criminal in this story, and it isn't the trapper. City slickers stay home.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

4 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4275 posts

Postby trapp » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:02 am

Everything is perfectly legal with that snare set on a Registered trapline. It is a set for lynx which die in under a minute in a legal locking snare. One reason we use this type of set is if a domestic dog is caught they can easily be released unharmed. The previous posters have covered it well relative to dogs running at large and not interfering with a legally set trap. That person may expect a fine for taking down the other three sets as he indicated he did. He need not look for the Co's as they will be looking for him.
It must be fun to allow your dog to run at large where it wants in the bush harassing wildlife. Why else would it run in and out of the bush off the trail? :swear:
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

8 people like this post.
trapp
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 392 posts

Postby LTD » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:09 am

trapp wrote: Why else would it run in and out of the bush off the trail? :swear:

because that's what dogs do it doesnt mean they were chasing wildlife nor does it say they were

3 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3248 posts

Postby Loki2u » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:19 am

In the snippet the OP posted, it is saying that the traps set were illegal?
Last edited by Triple 6 on Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed off topic comment.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Loki2u
Board Meister

Liked in: 414 posts

Postby trapp » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:27 am

They are legal. I know the trapper and I know the set up.

9 people like this post.
trapp
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Mark1111 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:29 am

trapp wrote:Everything is perfectly legal with that snare set on a Registered trapline. It is a set for lynx which die in under a minute in a legal locking snare. One reason we use this type of set is if a domestic dog is caught they can easily be released unharmed. The previous posters have covered it well relative to dogs running at large and not interfering with a legally set trap. That person may expect a fine for taking down the other three sets as he indicated he did. He need not look for the Co's as they will be looking for him.
It must be fun to allow your dog to run at large where it wants in the bush harassing wildlife. Why else would it run in and out of the bush off the trail? :swear:

Trapp when you capture a lynx who is interested in the animal? Is there a market for the hide or is it done more for nuisance control?
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Mark1111
Fledgling

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby pandorard » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:38 am

LTD wrote:
trapp wrote: Why else would it run in and out of the bush off the trail? :swear:

because that's what dogs do it doesnt mean they were chasing wildlife nor does it say they were

Wonder what would have happened if that Rotty had run across a smaller dog while in hunting mode running through the bush? Just saying.

zoey-k likes this post.
pandorard

Liked in: 1 post

Postby trapp » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:40 am

Mark1111 wrote:
trapp wrote:Everything is perfectly legal with that snare set on a Registered trapline. It is a set for lynx which die in under a minute in a legal locking snare. One reason we use this type of set is if a domestic dog is caught they can easily be released unharmed. The previous posters have covered it well relative to dogs running at large and not interfering with a legally set trap. That person may expect a fine for taking down the other three sets as he indicated he did. He need not look for the Co's as they will be looking for him.

Trapp when you capture a lynx who is interested in the animal? Is there a market for the hide or is it done more for nuisance control?

Yes they are a fur bearer and we sell them into the fur trade for garments and trim. Some may be sold privately for taxidermy purposes.

3 people like this post.
trapp
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby jimmy4321 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:43 am

Just got to be aware , and not whine.
I used to snare rabbits as a kid , makes great stew.

normst likes this post.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2010 posts

Postby LTD » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:54 am

its basically a trophy thing, im a hunter and honestly dont agree with trapping just for fur or hunting just for a trophy, theres no need for it in this day and age and I will bet a paycheck that 99% of trappers dont eat the meat. The days of trapping for food and to trade fur are long gone theres not a lynx problem in this area and not many people are interested in wearing fur anymore so really no need for it at all, just my opinion tho I know its legal and their right to do so

5 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3248 posts

Postby George Orwell 1984 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:56 am

I’m waiting patiently for the CO to show up at his door with a warrant. People need to know that all areas of the province that are crown land are divided Into traplines. You can’t just take it upon yourself to decide that his set was illegal.A few penalties against wannabe enforcers should make the public sit up and pay attention.

2 people like this post.
George Orwell 1984

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:03 am

Harassing wildlife as opposed to snaring innocent wildlife and have them choke to death...SMH. IMO snares should be banned.

2 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 1842 posts

Postby trapp » Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am

LTD wrote:its basically a trophy thing, im a hunter and honestly dont agree with trapping just for fur or hunting just for a trophy, theres no need for it in this day and age and I will bet a paycheck that 99% of trappers dont eat the meat. The days of trapping for food and to trade fur are long gone theres not a lynx problem in this area and not many people are interested in wearing fur anymore so really no need for it at all, just my opinion tho I know its legal and their right to do so

No it is not basically a trophy thing. For over 50 years Part of my living has been off the trapline and there is still a viable fur market. Many trappers in the North still depend on some furbearers as a food source and every year we save lynx and beaver meat for game clubs for their banquests. What gives you the right to harvest wildlife and not me? Just as people can use non biodegradable fake fur for clothing you could get your meat from Costco. I'll bet you do not utilize the hide from your game? Let me tell you this though. When I loose my right to trap the antis are coming for you. You need to support all forms of wildlife use, hunting trapping and fishing. We have been at the forefront of the anti movement for many years and now hunters are starting to feel the crunch also. You also need to educate yourself on humane harvesting techniques we now use in BC and all of Canada for that matter.

9 people like this post.
trapp
Generalissimo Postalot

Next

Return to Central Okanagan