Dog choked by snare

Re: Dog choked by snare

Postby Gone_Fishin » Feb 3rd, 2019, 11:59 am

Bang on trapp, all consumptive users of our resources need to stand together and support one another's activities. I should also add that trapping is a vital component of wildlife management, helping to ensure a viable balance of species on the landscape. Trapping and the royalties derived therefrom also help fund our wildlife agencies that monitor and enforce regulations to protect our wildlife populations.

Canada was built on the fur trade, and our First Nations and trappers have a deep history of caring for our furbearers and stewardship of their habitat. I don't trap, but I do hunt, fish, and gather, and I support our trappers 110%.
Even with the new taxes, the platform projects another four years of deficits if the Liberals are re-elected on Oct. 21 — $27.4 billion next year, falling to $21 billion by the fourth year of the mandate.

5 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Liked in: 5762 posts

Postby trapp » Feb 3rd, 2019, 12:34 pm

Gone_Fishin wrote:Bang on trapp, all consumptive users of our resources need to stand together and support one another's activities. I should also add that trapping is a vital component of wildlife management, helping to ensure a viable balance of species on the landscape. Trapping and the royalties derived therefrom also help fund our wildlife agencies that monitor and enforce regulations to protect our wildlife populations.

Canada was built on the fur trade, and our First Nations and trappers have a deep history of caring for our furbearers and stewardship of their habitat. I don't trap, but I do hunt, fish, and gather, and I support our trappers 110%.

Thank you for that. Perhaps I could give, donate, some of my coyote, wolf, mink and marten carcasses to those who want us to eat our catches. By the way all of the carcasses are returned to the land during the winter for the birds and other critters to eat and help them survive the winter.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

5 people like this post.
trapp
Übergod

Liked in: 411 posts

Postby George Orwell 1984 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 12:48 pm

Yes in particular donate the mink and weasel to those that think it should be eaten :biggrin:
George Orwell 1984
Fledgling

Liked in: 158 posts

Postby Brushy Bill » Feb 3rd, 2019, 1:16 pm

LTD wrote:its basically a trophy thing, im a hunter and honestly dont agree with trapping just for fur or hunting just for a trophy, theres no need for it in this day and age and I will bet a paycheck that 99% of trappers dont eat the meat. The days of trapping for food and to trade fur are long gone theres not a lynx problem in this area and not many people are interested in wearing fur anymore so really no need for it at all, just my opinion tho I know its legal and their right to do so
Does the word 'hypocrite' come to mind?
Brushy Bill
Fledgling

Liked in: 97 posts

Postby LTD » Feb 3rd, 2019, 1:24 pm

Brushy Bill wrote:
LTD wrote:its basically a trophy thing, im a hunter and honestly dont agree with trapping just for fur or hunting just for a trophy, theres no need for it in this day and age and I will bet a paycheck that 99% of trappers dont eat the meat. The days of trapping for food and to trade fur are long gone theres not a lynx problem in this area and not many people are interested in wearing fur anymore so really no need for it at all, just my opinion tho I know its legal and their right to do so
Does the word 'hypocrite' come to mind?

I dont think you know what the meaning of hypocrite is I actually use what I hunt for food I dont get it stuffed and hang it on the wall or sell it, I also stated that it was my opinion and its well within their right to trap not once have I made the claim it should be banned , the 1800s are gone and so are the days of trading a beaver pelt and two mink for a rusty rifle.

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3817 posts

Postby Bcboy555 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 1:49 pm

you are uninformed. removed. it's a forum. Opinions are welcomed. I recommend attending a few events put on by the wild sheep society and become knowledgeable on the topic. or joining a local wildlife club. trapping is still a necessity for proper wildlife management.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Feb 3rd, 2019, 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited by Trip
Bcboy555

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Fancy » Feb 3rd, 2019, 2:16 pm

It would be helpful if Castanet followed up on the story with the CO's. The public should be made aware of the legalities in this situation and repercussions if caught meddling with someone's livelihood.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

3 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7760 posts

Postby Dogbite » Feb 3rd, 2019, 3:12 pm

Trapping is a way of life as hunting is a way of life as bitching about both are a way of life. More of the same tomorrow.
Responsible pet owners keep their dogs on leash regardless of where they are.
Sanctimonious self entitled pet owners think that it is their right to range their dogs freely.
You want to off leash your dog, take it to an off-leash park where you and it belong.

5 people like this post.
Dogbite

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby dle » Feb 3rd, 2019, 3:52 pm

If you take your dog into the bush off-leash and let him go you don't know what he's going to come across. The dog (and you) are actually the intruders so take your chances, but don't whine if the dog (or you) gets schooled by a deer, a bear, a rattlesnake, a hive of bees, a porcupine etc or something like a legal trap line.

Letting your dog off-leash to run ahead and off-trail into the bush is all fun, fine & dandy until one of the critters that actually live there take exception.

You take the chance with your dog's (and your) life, you best be prepared to deal with the consequences. That's life, and your choice.

4 people like this post.
dle
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2551 posts

Postby Ken7 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm

Loki2u wrote:In the snippet the OP posted, it is saying that the traps set were illegal?

How would this owner know what is a legal trap or a illegal snare? Never assume, it could very well be a legal trap line.

As a dog owner you should keep in mind you are responsible for you dog. If it was out of sight, it may be chasing wildlife. IF it is it is fair game to be shot dead.

Just because we have dogs, we have to be responsible for them.

By the way please pick up after your dog and put the bag in the garbage not along trails or sidewalks!

3 people like this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3107 posts

Postby techrtr » Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:15 pm

The Okanagan is a great place except for the rednecked frigging *bleep*.
techrtr
Übergod

Liked in: 1086 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:21 pm

techrtr wrote:The Okanagan is a great place except for the rednecked frigging *bleep*.

Curious which group are you calling that to, owners of the legal trap line or irresponsible dog owners.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9087 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby techrtr » Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:32 pm

The rednecked *bleep* who set the trap, of course.

Troutcreeker likes this post.
techrtr
Übergod

Liked in: 1086 posts

Postby Buckeye19 » Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:54 pm

The trap was set legally according to the CO office.

Letting your dog run free is irresponsible and reckless. Luckily the dog wasn't killed thanks to it's owners negligence.

3 people like this post.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Feb 3rd, 2019, 11:39 pm

techrtr wrote:The rednecked *bleep* who set the trap, of course.

Yea, there’s some real *bleep* involved here alright, but they have absolutely nothing to do with setting that trap...

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan