Dog choked by snare

Re: Dog choked by snare

Postby Fancy » Feb 4th, 2019, 12:02 am

Thank you Castanet:

UPDATE: 8:30 p.m.

Conservation officers have investigated the incident on the Goudie Road area where a dog was caught in a neck snare.

Ken Owens with the Conservation Officer Service says the snare was legally set.

While the conservation service does encourage trappers to post signs when they are actively trapping along or near multi-use trails, there is no legal requirement to do so.

"The Conservation Officer Service is reminding the public that there are lawful trapping seasons in effect from October through April in all parts of British Columbia, both in rural and wilderness areas," they say in a news release.

"Letting your dog off-leash outdoors is risky. The kindest thing you can do for your dog is to keep it on a leash, within sight, and to remain on well-used paths and roadways. In most municipalities it is illegal to let your dog run off-leash."

Dustin Pearson did not have control of his dog nor was he right in his assumption of the snare.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

3 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7761 posts

Postby techrtr » Feb 4th, 2019, 9:13 am

I think a lot of the ignorant rednecks here have it bass ackwards. People should be able to take their dogs out into the woods without having to worry about it (or their child) getting caught in a trap. These aren't the 1700's and this isn't northern Canada. There's no reason for anyone setting traps around here unless it's in their backyard.

Troutcreeker likes this post.
techrtr
Übergod

Liked in: 1086 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Feb 4th, 2019, 9:25 am

techrtr wrote:I think a lot of the ignorant rednecks here have it bass ackwards. People should be able to take their dogs out into the woods without having to worry about it (or their child) getting caught in a trap. These aren't the 1700's and this isn't northern Canada. There's no reason for anyone setting traps around here unless it's in their backyard.

Continued name-calling does nothing to bolster your point - in fact it does the exact opposite. True ignorance is being oblivious to the requirements of responsible pet ownership.

4 people like this post.
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 4th, 2019, 9:28 am

techrtr wrote:I think a lot of the ignorant rednecks here have it bass ackwards. People should be able to take their dogs out into the woods without having to worry about it (or their child) getting caught in a trap. These aren't the 1700's and this isn't northern Canada. There's no reason for anyone setting traps around here unless it's in their backyard.

Calling a person names that has every right to his livelihood shows your lack of understanding. People should ALWAYS look after their children and animals and those that don't suffer the consequences. Read up on the regulations - they are current.

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby dle » Feb 4th, 2019, 9:33 am

Well, the way I see it, at this point in time these traps/snares are legal and no signage is required so regardless of what you or I think about their relevance in today's world, your dog could get caught up in one if you let him/her run free. That choice is on you - if your dog gets hurt, well, sorry, but you will have to bear the responsibility for having let it happen.

I guess until the laws change, there really is only once choice right now to protect your furry from traps and you know what that is - make the right choice.

2 people like this post.
dle
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2551 posts

Postby Ken7 » Feb 4th, 2019, 10:46 am

WalterWhite wrote:
techrtr wrote:The rednecked *bleep* who set the trap, of course.

Yea, there’s some real *bleep* involved here alright, but they have absolutely nothing to do with setting that trap...

I think I'm with you, it's entitled people who believe because they own a dog they have special rights, Those typically are the ones who let there dogs run freely in dog parks and in the wild unattended. Believing others will step aside or pick up after them.

Were did responsibility and accountability go as it appears daily that it is lost. I could rant on for ever.

2 people like this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3107 posts

Postby LTD » Feb 4th, 2019, 10:53 am

Ken7 wrote:[
I think I'm with you, it's entitled people who believe because they own a dog they have special rights, Those typically are the ones who let there dogs run freely in dog parks and in the wild unattended. Believing others will step aside or pick up after them.

Were did responsibility and accountability go as it appears daily that it is lost. I could rant on for ever.

last time I checked dog parks were for allowing your dog to run freely
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3817 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Feb 4th, 2019, 11:16 am

Headline for this story should have been Irresponsible Dog Owner Vandalizes Legal Traps to help get a message across to the general public.

4 people like this post.
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby trapp » Feb 4th, 2019, 11:19 am

I'm going to add a couple more comment here. The trapper involved is an advocate for trapline signage and pushing all trappers towards it. He has helped with a co operative arrangement with government to have legal signage made up. The government has worked at their usual pace on this matter and we still do not have the proper signage.

He has been using a special "active trapline" flagging tape at all the entrances to trails and roads where he traps. Someone is tearing the signage down as fast as he puts it up.

The trapping systems we are using near urban settings or where public is likely to be are not going to catch or hut people. If a dog does get caught the owner can release them. Perhaps the exception is if a dog has never had a collar and leash and running at large without the owner.

Our signage and activities are not meant to scare people out of the bush. Everyone is still very free to hike, toboggan, snowshoe, sled, ice fish, or what have you in the back country. We respect your rights to be there, please respect our rights to be there also.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

9 people like this post.
trapp
Übergod

Liked in: 411 posts

Postby Ken7 » Feb 4th, 2019, 11:19 am

If this is the guys set, I can see how your kid might go for the wing and get hung up!! LOL.

Maybe keep your child on leash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zoey-k likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Postby Fancy » Feb 4th, 2019, 11:26 am

trapp wrote:Our signage and activities are not meant to scare people out of the bush. Everyone is still very free to hike, toboggan, snowshoe, sled, ice fish, or what have you in the back country. We respect your rights to be there, please respect our rights to be there also.

You know people won't respect the signs and the fact that three of these traps were destroyed (ignorance of the legalities of traplines is no excuse) is a good indication that future vandalism will occur. Unfortunate that someone goes to all the trouble to have the signage and set the traps only to have them removed. Can only hope that people that interfere are caught and fined.

3 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby trapp » Feb 4th, 2019, 11:31 am

That is not how the snare was set. They are set from out to the side. The other wire you see in the picture is the support for it. That set is no way going to harm a child or person.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

Ken7 likes this post.
trapp
Übergod

Liked in: 411 posts

Postby WheelWeaves » Feb 4th, 2019, 2:10 pm

This is such a non-issue that it borders on ridiculous.

Entitled pet owner lets dog run off leash.
Dog finds snare.
Pet owner panics.
No one was harmed.
Alert media.
Entitled pet owners band together.
Logic minded humans band together on other side.

Put your f**king rat on a leash. End of story.

7 people like this post.
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Liked in: 180 posts

Postby Ken7 » Feb 4th, 2019, 2:54 pm

LTD wrote:last time I checked dog parks were for allowing your dog to run freely

Oh, but if you go to Glenmore park on weekends you have clubs. Like the Windfield Lab-a-doodle running in packs. Beware they don't care!
Ken7
Guru

Postby Ken7 » Feb 4th, 2019, 2:56 pm

trapp wrote:That is not how the snare was set. They are set from out to the side. The other wire you see in the picture is the support for it. That set is no way going to harm a child or person.

If you think I missed it, I was making light of the people who are concerned for their children. I think if they are that simple, they should at the least harness the child to keep it safe in life!

gman313 likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan