Innovative Housing Project

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Innovative Housing Project

Post by WalterWhite »

Finally something positive decided by council. I don't know the finer details of this proposed development but on the surface it seems great that an employer can, as I understand, be able to offer employees a reasonable alternative to housing locally. As stated it's for employees only, and won't be everyone's cup of tea, but hats off to Emil Anderson Construction for not only thinking outside the box, but putting put together a project with enough positive attributes to get council's support for what is not your typical residential development proposal. Now, if only they could see to do this with some of the supportive housing proposals.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ing-lauded
Kelowna_Born
Fledgling

Re: Innovative Housing Project

Post by Kelowna_Born »

Totally disagree. Industrial Area. Major Slide Issues. Dust, Dirt and Noise from Emil Anderson's now 1/2 lot. And the now Suspended Operations of Knox Mountain Metals due to Sloughing.

You wont put anything across from the Landfill in the 10 acres just acquired do to Dust and Smell, but the city will consider this.....Brain Dead Mayor and Council.

More TAXES, More TAXES, and More TAXES.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Huh... interesting take on housing. I like the idea, it's fresh and new.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Kelowna_Born wrote:Totally disagree. Industrial Area. Major Slide Issues. Dust, Dirt and Noise from Emil Anderson's now 1/2 lot. And the now Suspended Operations of Knox Mountain Metals due to Sloughing.

You wont put anything across from the Landfill in the 10 acres just acquired do to Dust and Smell, but the city will consider this.....Brain Dead Mayor and Council.

More TAXES, More TAXES, and More TAXES.

So the current dust creating lot will be cut in half, thereby reducing dust in half - with simple math. No dust or noise form Knox Mtn. Metals as their operations have suspended? So nothing from them is what you're saying.

The only criticism I have from the supplied images is the vast amount of space taken up with a parking lot.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Not a new idea, just a different slant for our urban setting.
Have to work there, to live there.

Able to put conditions like, "dry', "no MJ or other ?? substances"

Certainly helps insure, a fit for duty worker.

Get a portion of wages (union) paid back to the house.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... ORM=WRVORC

My take.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
qwaylude

Post by qwaylude »

At the rate the mountain above is deteriorating they will have housing there soon enough. Whether they like it or not.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Ha Ha Ha.

Kelowna City Council idea's of afforable housing is putting in residential lots in industrial areas!

Speaking out against the speculation tax so they can sell luxury condos and mansions to Albertans and the Chinese and putting local families beside a metal scrap yard.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

atenbacon wrote:Huh... interesting take on housing. I like the idea, it's fresh and new.

I dunno about "new" or "fresh" But I will say cool!!!

I used to work at 1110 St.Paul street and when I split from my girl , I needed a place .. NOW ! ..

My boss told me to go talk to ole Greg across the street . Seems he had an empty loft apt. above his building supply store that was vacant ...30 minutes after talking to the guy , I had the COOLEST 1 bed , 1 Bath loft in the whole town at 1111 St.Paul . 60 years in Kelowna knows the place I'm talking about ..

It's a place I'll NEVER forget . To be 19 steps from work and quiet after 5 pm is just awesome .. For anyone to be able work in an industrial area , never mind the North End , AND live there is more than under rated .

It makes going to a job you love just . plain . heaven .

Good on EAC and council.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 6th, 2019, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Bikes

Post by Bikes »

This is so stupid! When you have vermin on the farm you don't house, feed and clothe the current vermin you have as a deterrent to other vermin from showing up.
If they want to house them put it where they can't steal and wreck other peoples lives and property. Make it too far to walk to town and drugs and only one bus. That way you could control their dispersal and access to easy victims for their crimes.
This whole story has lost the plot.
Let all those voting for it have it in their back yard.
There is already an equality of access.
We can't create equality of outcome!!!!!!!!!!
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Bikes wrote:This is so stupid! When you have vermin on the farm you don't house, feed and clothe the current vermin you have as a deterrent to other vermin from showing up.
If they want to house them put it where they can't steal and wreck other peoples lives and property. Make it too far to walk to town and drugs and only one bus. That way you could control their dispersal and access to easy victims for their crimes.
This whole story has lost the plot.
Let all those voting for it have it in their back yard.
There is already an equality of access.
We can't create equality of outcome!!!!!!!!!!

WT. ... Wrong thread?
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

Maybe some people would like this setup but I would not.

This is two close of a personal connection to an employer for myself. This would feel like a work camp except it is your primary residence. It reminds me of a documentary I seen of another country where the employees all work, eat, shop, sleep etc in the building of employment. Factory work all day and then off to your dorm room at the work camp.

The workplace will know when you have guests over, partners stay over, when you are actually sick if you call in sick.

Am I wrong and this is a good idea? Does anyone else worry about being too joined with an employer? What if you take a new job, guess you hand in your notice of tenancy cancelation too.

What about on the business side, what if people refuse to leave, cause disturbances? Are they protected by the same rental rights? Could be a headache for the business.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Wow - it's pretty obvious that some are quick to form an opinion based solely on a picture and headline, without reading the actual article.

This is a great idea. Urban company housing. As has been mentioned, it's a great way to keep your workforce fit for employment, and ensure your workforce can also find a place to live.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Well, if residents work in the area. Less chance of them maybe b****ing & complaining of the noise & smells. A twist on the old company housing i.e mines & sawmills etc... etc
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

GordonH wrote:Well, if residents work in the area. Less chance of them maybe b****ing & complaining of the noise & smells. A twist on the old company housing i.e mines & sawmills etc... etc

It's company housing, built on company property, and attached to the company office. By that very definition, they would have to be employed by the company and therefore work in the area. It's exactly like housing at mines and sawmills, but without the mine or the sawmill.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Central Okanagan”