Last week's accident by UBCO turnoff....

Last week's accident by UBCO turnoff....

Postby dle » Feb 10th, 2019, 3:41 pm

I haven't read a report yet on what the cause of this accident was - has anyone heard what happened? Both vehicles seem to be facing the same direction....
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 1998 posts

Re: Last week's accident by UBCO turnoff....

Postby Fancy » Feb 10th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Unlikely any information will be released. What a tragedy and I feel for the family.

A community is mourning the tragic loss of a young man.

Friday morning, just before 6:30 a.m., 18-year-old Derek Flowers-Johnson was killed when his Toyota Corolla collided with a semi truck on Highway 97, just south of UBC Okanagan.

The young man grew up in Oyama and graduated from George Elliot Secondary in 2018.

He was a youth councillor with Lake Country City Council and also participated in Lake Country's youth firefighting program.

He was currently attending Kelowna's Okanagan College, enrolled in the welding program there.

Bayley Hurdle, a friend of the Flowers-Johnson family, says the young man “was a very happy kid” who had a “very bright future ahead of him.”

“He was a very funny guy, always a jokester and kept a smile on everyone's faces,” Hurdle said.

“Derek won tons of awards – after high school he won five bursaries and he was on the honour roll and all that.”

She says his whole family is very close, and they're “all amazing people.”

Derek's sister Alexis posted to Facebook Friday: “You are my best friend. I love you. I'll miss you forever.”

Saturday morning, Rider Ventures Wildfire and Flood Protection, which offers firefighting training programs, took to Facebook to remember Derek.

“Yesterday we lost a member of our Rider Ventures family,” the post reads. “Derek Flowers-Johnson was humble, driven, determined, and inspiring. We will miss Derek’s ability to make us laugh, big smile and even bigger heart. His passing will deeply affect us all.”

"He was a great young man – always smiling, laughing, cheerful, very hard working and humble," another person added to Rider Ventures' post. "If you were having a bad day he would brighten your day."

Hurdle has set up a GoFundMe page for Derek's family during this time.

“I started the GoFundMe page because I don't want them to even have to worry or think about their expenses right now,” she said, adding the family owns and operates the Cattlemen's Club restaurant at Vernon's O'Keefe Ranch.

“They're just trying to process the news from yesterday.”

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#248931
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7127 posts

Postby dle » Feb 10th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Fancy wrote:Unlikely any information will be released. What a tragedy and I feel for the family.

A community is mourning the tragic loss of a young man.

Friday morning, just before 6:30 a.m., 18-year-old Derek Flowers-Johnson was killed when his Toyota Corolla collided with a semi truck on Highway 97, just south of UBC Okanagan.

The young man grew up in Oyama and graduated from George Elliot Secondary in 2018.

He was a youth councillor with Lake Country City Council and also participated in Lake Country's youth firefighting program.

He was currently attending Kelowna's Okanagan College, enrolled in the welding program there.

Bayley Hurdle, a friend of the Flowers-Johnson family, says the young man “was a very happy kid” who had a “very bright future ahead of him.”

“He was a very funny guy, always a jokester and kept a smile on everyone's faces,” Hurdle said.

“Derek won tons of awards – after high school he won five bursaries and he was on the honour roll and all that.”

She says his whole family is very close, and they're “all amazing people.”

Derek's sister Alexis posted to Facebook Friday: “You are my best friend. I love you. I'll miss you forever.”

Saturday morning, Rider Ventures Wildfire and Flood Protection, which offers firefighting training programs, took to Facebook to remember Derek.

“Yesterday we lost a member of our Rider Ventures family,” the post reads. “Derek Flowers-Johnson was humble, driven, determined, and inspiring. We will miss Derek’s ability to make us laugh, big smile and even bigger heart. His passing will deeply affect us all.”

"He was a great young man – always smiling, laughing, cheerful, very hard working and humble," another person added to Rider Ventures' post. "If you were having a bad day he would brighten your day."

Hurdle has set up a GoFundMe page for Derek's family during this time.

“I started the GoFundMe page because I don't want them to even have to worry or think about their expenses right now,” she said, adding the family owns and operates the Cattlemen's Club restaurant at Vernon's O'Keefe Ranch.

“They're just trying to process the news from yesterday.”

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#248931

so awful.... I wondered if anything had been released because one of my workmates said he heard from somebody living up at Quail that the road hadn't been plowed, sanded....nothing.......which if true, by 6:30 a.m. should definitely have happened since it snowed all night. Terrible thing for a family to suffer.....he sounded like a real nice young guy with a lot going for him.
dle
Übergod

Postby LTD » Feb 10th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I was there right after it happened and it looked like the car slid out of control went across the center meridian and into the side of the semi there was skid marks over the meridian behind where the truck came to rest. Sad story indeed the roads were pretty slick and no sand as usual, I was on my way to Kamloops and that road had lots of sand on it and was in great shape compared to anything around here

Ken7 likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3392 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Feb 10th, 2019, 5:37 pm

so awful.... I wondered if anything had been released because one of my workmates said he heard from somebody living up at Quail that the road hadn't been plowed, sanded....nothing.......which if true, by 6:30 a.m. should definitely have happened since it snowed all night. Terrible thing for a family to suffer.....he sounded like a real nice young guy with a lot going for him.

Perfect...sounds like another lawsuit in the making. Very sad for the family.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 1958 posts

Postby stevemic » Feb 10th, 2019, 5:50 pm

The hwy was bad from peachland to vernon , he was 18 years old so unfortunately it was probably lack of experience driving, maybe going too fast for conditions. It looks like he came into the right hander went over the median and hit the semi.
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree

common_sense_guy likes this post.
stevemic
Fledgling

Liked in: 109 posts

Postby MAPearce » Feb 10th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Accidents happen .. Unfortunately this one took the life of a truly good kid ..

As much as I feel for the family , I think the community as a whole should feel this loss..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

3 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4604 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Feb 10th, 2019, 6:47 pm

stevemic wrote:The hwy was bad from peachland to vernon , he was 18 years old so unfortunately it was probably lack of experience driving, maybe going too fast for conditions. It looks like he came into the right hander went over the median and hit the semi.

With the semi over the median. maybe it was the truck that lost control and came into the southbound lane? On the other hand, if the car lost control and went over the median into the path of the truck, maybe the semi went for the median in hopes of avoidance. The few pictures do not show much in the way of "disturbed" snow on the median north of the accident scene.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1132 posts

Postby Noisy Boater » Feb 10th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Sad news no doubt. There have been numerous crashes there. It would appear the small car jumped the median and impacted the truck That force of impact would turn that little car around . That corner is dicey at the best of times. The warehouse that semi leaves from is just behind the Petro Pass. I am guessing semi had just entered hwy from Edwards Rd and would not be travelling that fast in that short stretch. The car more than likely was travelling to fast for conditions regardless of sand or not. Just because there is sand on the road doesnt mean go faster.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ?

stevemic likes this post.
Noisy Boater
Board Meister

Liked in: 317 posts

Postby LTD » Feb 10th, 2019, 9:26 pm

lesliepaul wrote:
stevemic wrote:The hwy was bad from peachland to vernon , he was 18 years old so unfortunately it was probably lack of experience driving, maybe going too fast for conditions. It looks like he came into the right hander went over the median and hit the semi.

With the semi over the median. maybe it was the truck that lost control and came into the southbound lane? On the other hand, if the car lost control and went over the median into the path of the truck, maybe the semi went for the median in hopes of avoidance. The few pictures do not show much in the way of "disturbed" snow on the median north of the accident scene.

semi was going north the tracks from the car were clearly visible over the median behind the semi along with all the debris from impact, the hit forced the truck to turn left on to the meridian where it came to a stop.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby dle » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:36 am

LTD wrote:I was there right after it happened and it looked like the car slid out of control went across the center meridian and into the side of the semi there was skid marks over the meridian behind where the truck came to rest. Sad story indeed the roads were pretty slick and no sand as usual, I was on my way to Kamloops and that road had lots of sand on it and was in great shape compared to anything around here

The picture seems confusing - like they were both headed the same way. So you think he was headed in the opposite direction to the semi then? If he went up and over the median, then maybe the medians/dividers need to be higher to be of any help?
dle
Übergod

Postby spooker » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:54 am

MAPearce wrote:Accidents happen .. Unfortunately this one took the life of a truly good kid ..

As much as I feel for the family , I think the community as a whole should feel this loss..

Boy do I hate that phrase ... "accidents happen" ... it lets us ignore the fact that we're not perfect and blame "fate" for our mistakes ...

The community needs to feel this, I agree ... and we need to demand more ... mode education, more responsibility, more enforcement ...

Over 4 people die in Canada every day in traffic collisions each day ... is that low enough that the rest of us can live with it?
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 821 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:59 am

The phrase "accidents happen" takes into consideration people aren't perfect - has nothing to do with fate. There are all sorts of variables that contributed to this horrible accident. The family will never be the same and they will be struggling for a long time.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7127 posts

Postby LTD » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:09 am

better center divider would have helped and driving according to the conditions would have helped if a semi hadn't been there at that exact moment it would have helped accidents do happen and this one is a sad story that I certainly wont forget

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby Zoso » Feb 11th, 2019, 9:58 am

Odd there arent any no posts on that section theyre all over bc . They make them only a kilometre away from the scene.
Zoso
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 288 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan