Last week's accident by UBCO turnoff....

Re: Last week's accident by UBCO turnoff....

Postby bjsilent » Feb 12th, 2019, 6:14 am

Noisy Boater wrote:Sad news no doubt. There have been numerous crashes there. It would appear the small car jumped the median and impacted the truck That force of impact would turn that little car around . That corner is dicey at the best of times. The warehouse that semi leaves from is just behind the Petro Pass. I am guessing semi had just entered hwy from Edwards Rd and would not be travelling that fast in that short stretch. The car more than likely was travelling to fast for conditions regardless of sand or not. Just because there is sand on the road doesnt mean go faster.

Apps Cargo's warehouse in on [email protected] not behind petro pass on Edwards.
bjsilent
Fledgling

Liked in: 389 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 12th, 2019, 7:17 am

impo leave the who is at fault up to investigators (this coming from me, I tend to be very opinionated)

2 Families are greatly effected by this crash, 1 on the loss of loved one, the other by whats happening in the driver mind.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Fancy likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8101 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby wanderer » Feb 12th, 2019, 9:32 am

I am very sad for the death of this young man, Derrik Flowers-Johnson and for the loss of what he would have contributed to our society. He sounded like a very upstanding young fellow with ideas and joy of life which he shared with those around him. Many of us need to follow in his footsteps, mentor those around us with happiness, contribute to our society by volunteering, learn about our community and be involved in enhancing it. Kudos to him for being a youth councilor with Lake Country City Council, also for being a part of the youth firefighting program. I know there are many other young people like him and we need to appreciate, cherish, and nurture them when we can.

We should be looking for ways to ensure this doesn't happen again, no blame should go to either driver. How many times have any of us gone into a slide on an icy possibly unplowed, unsanded curve in the road or intersection, it can go beyond our control. Unfortunate that this time there wasn't time for a slip slide correction.

Condolences to Derrik's family, and to the driver of the semi be kind to yourself at this time.
Last edited by wanderer on Feb 12th, 2019, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wanderer
Board Meister

Liked in: 419 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Feb 12th, 2019, 11:28 am

GordonH wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:There is no reason that overpass has to be there now with the tracks removed...……..knock it down and improve road safety at this horribly designed overpass location. Straighten the road out to better accommodate the 80 KPH speed limit and make the access to UBCO MUCH safer. As far as the "rail trail", run a culvert under the road or some other super cheap method. If this overpass remains it will no doubt require the usual expensive maintenance and to me that continuous expense FAR exceeds the rail trails value.

By trying to straightening that stretch of highway out would be huge expense. Okay remove the train underpass, then there is replacing the UBCO overpass.
Is it worth all the money just to remove train underpass & straightening out hwy 97.

It is absolutely worth removing since this bridge, as all bridges require repairs over their lifespan. Just resurfacing can be huge dollars, never mind cracks or corrosion that will undoubtedly occur and cost in the millions.

………..get rid of it!
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1082 posts

Postby wakeup13 » Feb 12th, 2019, 8:35 pm

The over pass is like all bridges and weather conditions as they are it is far more slippery than the main highway. I met a car that came over the overpass and is shot off it like a bullet nearly head on to me but the car fishtailed and went on its way. This was before there was that bit of median. Scared me for sure. I have a feeling that is what happened here to the driver. I drove over that overpass for nearly 20 years and always worried when it hadn't been sanded in the winter.
wakeup13

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 13th, 2019, 11:49 am

BC is one of the most dangerous provinces. Ontario is the safest.

I did not include Nunavut because they were the worse for per km travelled by tthe best for 100,000 people. They don't have many roads up there.

Speaking of roads, road design is the biggest factor. Look at PEI versus NS versus NB. Right next to each other and yet very different.

Also, look at SK, AB, and MB.

accidentsincanada.png

accidentsincanada2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“There's no point in you betraying your future self to gratify your present self. It's a stupid game.”
~Jordan B. Peterson
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 10787 posts

Postby crookedmember » Feb 13th, 2019, 6:08 pm

It is not very likely that you will die in a car crash.

6 deaths per 100,000 people may sound like a lot, but to put it in perspective, the gun death rate in the US is 12 per 100,000.
crookedmember
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 14th, 2019, 10:26 am

crookedmember wrote:It is not very likely that you will die in a car crash.

6 deaths per 100,000 people may sound like a lot, but to put it in perspective, the gun death rate in the US is 12 per 100,000.

But most of those are suicides...
“There's no point in you betraying your future self to gratify your present self. It's a stupid game.”
~Jordan B. Peterson
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Fancy » Feb 14th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Friends and family will come together this weekend to remember Derek Flowers-Johnson.

The 18 year old was killed Feb. 8, when a semi and his Toyota Corolla collided on Highway 97, near UBCO.

A memorial service will be held for the Oyama resident this Saturday, at Lake Country's George Elliot Secondary School, from 1 to 3:30 p.m.

“Anybody who wants to come, we want them there,” said Dale Flowers, Derek's father. “We've got the gym, so we've got enough seating for 1,000 people if need be.”

On Tuesday, a candlelight vigil was held at the Lake Country Alliance Church, and Dale said more than 300 people attended.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#249318
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6699 posts

Postby Cindypink » Feb 14th, 2019, 3:07 pm

The accident happened because the roads were slick and the young man was on his way to his welding course and the semi lost control and crossed the meridian and hit the drivers side as he was in the fast lane. So not everything happens because of inexperience. It was just that an accident like the many that happened that day and after it. With the weather people just need to slow down.
Cindypink

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Glacier » Feb 14th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Thankfully the government is doing a better job building highways today than they were when they built that section because this could have also been fatal without the concrete median... https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#249326
~Jordan B. Peterson
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby gman313 » Feb 14th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Glacier wrote:Thankfully the government is doing a better job building highways today than they were when they built that section because this could have also been fatal without the concrete median... https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#249326

I read they did not hit the CONCRETE BARRIER IN THE MIDDLE, they hit the barrier on the right side of the road then spun across to the middle.
A median is simply the land between two divided roadways. A concrete barrier is the block that can be placed ON the median, as well as on the RH side of the road.

so no, this accident likely would not have been fatal. Probably would have rolled a few times though depending on the ditch.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1459 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 14th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Cindypink wrote: the semi lost control and crossed the meridian

Do you have proof of your scenario ?
I find it highly unlikely to have happened in the manner you describe.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3368 posts

Postby stevemic » Feb 14th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Cindypink wrote:The accident happened because the roads were slick and the young man was on his way to his welding course and the semi lost control and crossed the meridian and hit the drivers side as he was in the fast lane. So not everything happens because of inexperience. It was just that an accident like the many that happened that day and after it. With the weather people just need to slow down.

The physics would disagree with your statement , its more likely the car crossed over
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree

dirtybiker likes this post.
stevemic
Fledgling

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby LANDM » Feb 15th, 2019, 6:27 am

I realize this is a discussion forum and this is fair game, but I implore those participating to consider the many local family members who may read this thread. Let’s leave the blame game out of it, at least for a respectable amount of time.

His service is tomorrow and there will be a huge turnout by everyone whose lives have intersected with this great family and members of the community at large who share the grief of the loss of a loving family.

I totally understand that there are no "rules" in these situations, but it is simply an emotional and, perhaps, even a moral situation that would dictate a higher level of discretion. Something to consider.

6 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3647 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan