Big White Whining

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Big White Whining

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I don't have a problem with Oz, just people who move here and then suggest we change our Holidays to suit their line of work better.
He even said half the customers are from across the border or out of country.
To me it suggests we all know of this place, and some don't choose to go there..

Obviously there are locals that have done well and can afford to have a place there.. I was living here when Serwa Bulldozing started building the place... it's been over 50 years now..

Anyway his last interview has altered my impression of the guy, I used to enjoy his spots on the radio..

I don't see a lot of folks in other industries talking like this publicly , about reduced business.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I don't have a problem with Oz, just people who move here and then suggest we change our Holidays to suit their line of work better.
He even said half the customers are from across the border or out of country.
To me it suggests we all know of this place, and some don't choose to go there..

Obviously there are locals that have done well and can afford to have a place there.. I was living here when Serwa Bulldozing started building the place... it's been over 50 years now..

Anyway his last interview has altered my impression of the guy, I used to enjoy his spots on the radio..

I don't see a lot of folks in other industries talking like this publicly , about reduced business.

So you opted to simply ignore the fact, that statistics were provided for last year, which showed 80% of reservations were from within BC?

That certainly doesn't support your position in the least.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

My position is I don't care if they sink or swim.
Yours seems to be, well let's help out the Ski Hill..

Thinks are bad enough here in BC, without even considering changing a stat holiday to benefit some form of business .
Is this what you think should be done ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

All of this belly aching has me feeling nervous. I bought a lift pass for Family Day weekend next year even though I’m away traveling next February. If Big White survives, we all survive, including Costco.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Fancy wrote:People from the lower mainland are still BC residents.

I get that but i don't get the issue with lack of accommodation. It's not much different to a campsite, they get booked up early, particularly on long weekends so you have to book in advance to ensure you get a spot. If you really want a room at Big White on the long weekend then book well ahead, because it seems many many did. Just because you live in BC doesn't give you any more rights to a room at short notice than someone from out of province or even out of Canada.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

jaysforlife wrote:
LANDM wrote:They are simply commenting, when asked, about their preferences of having it how it was or how it has very recently been changed to.
They gave an answer.
It was different for a few years and was changed away from that. It had an impact on their business so of course they would have a preference.

Or you can just be negative about everything.

Nope. Its them having a front page story on multiple news outlets. Its them actively lobbying. Its not a simple "they were asked a question so they answered"..

So they are responsible for where a news outlet places a story now?
They are a business that has a valid opinion. Why should they not have an opinion about the recent change?

It affects them, and all ski hills, negatively and they give a valid argument as to why the old way worked better for local BC families.

Whining about them being the subject of a news story is a bit odd. :135:
You and 71 others Like this post
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

So fewer BC families went up this past weekend compared to the years before when it was on a different weekend then the rest of the country? If so, where did the families go this year? Its not exactly like there was a big travel rush on the highways or airports.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

If Big White cared about BC families not having access on the long weekend, they could take priority booking from BC families or charge a user-fee for people booking outside of BC. Pretty simple.

They won't do that because it's not about BC families being able to ski. They want two cows to milk in February.

Tacky and shameful using "Looking out for BC families" to disguise basic greed.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Vacancyrate wrote:If Big White cared about BC families not having access on the long weekend, they could take priority booking from BC families or charge a user-fee for people booking outside of BC. Pretty simple.

They won't do that because it's not about BC families being able to ski. They want two cows to milk in February.

Tacky and shameful using "Looking out for BC families" to disguise basic greed.

Bingo!....couldn’t have said it better myself :up:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Vacancyrate wrote:If Big White cared about BC families not having access on the long weekend, they could take priority booking from BC families or charge a user-fee for people booking outside of BC. Pretty simple.

I don't think that would be as simple as you think. However, BC families were cut a break in the past for Family Day and that will more than likely get taken away.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

soupy wrote:
So Big White and you are making assumptions ...

If that is the case I am then suggesting that most families don't go to Big White over family day. I think most would agree to my statement as well. Majority of BC families do not go to Big White for family day weekend. So why do we (families who do not go to Big White) care which weekend this holiday occurs on ? Or the fact Big White didn't fully book out 2 weekends in a row this year?

I will agree with you. But it is not just Big White. Wineries, restaurants, anything tourist driven that locals can still have fun at.

How about this. I am a $16/hr wine shop employee at Quails Gate. I would love to go see my family in Alberta but since I only make $16 I can't afford to. But I have an idea, the wine industry gives steep discounts to industry employees. Why don't I go on a wine tour instead.

Scenario 1 - the long weekends are the same as the rest of the country:

Oh *bleep*, I have to work the entire long weekend because we will be swamped with out of town guests and locals. I guess I am working yet another long weekend.

Scenario 2 - the long weekend is different than the rest of the country

Woohoo, I can take a holiday because there are two long weekends. Neither will be quite as busy so any staff that want one of the days off, should be able to, and can now enjoy all the valley has to offer.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

gman313 wrote:
soupy wrote:
So Big White and you are making assumptions ...

If that is the case I am then suggesting that most families don't go to Big White over family day. I think most would agree to my statement as well. Majority of BC families do not go to Big White for family day weekend. So why do we (families who do not go to Big White) care which weekend this holiday occurs on ? Or the fact Big White didn't fully book out 2 weekends in a row this year?

I will agree with you. But it is not just Big White. Wineries, restaurants, anything tourist driven that locals can still have fun at.

How about this. I am a $16/hr wine shop employee at Quails Gate. I would love to go see my family in Alberta but since I only make $16 I can't afford to. But I have an idea, the wine industry gives steep discounts to industry employees. Why don't I go on a wine tour instead.

Scenario 1 - the long weekends are the same as the rest of the country:

Oh *bleep*, I have to work the entire long weekend because we will be swamped with out of town guests and locals. I guess I am working yet another long weekend.

Scenario 2 - the long weekend is different than the rest of the country

Woohoo, I can take a holiday because there are two long weekends. Neither will be quite as busy so any staff that want one of the days off, should be able to, and can now enjoy all the valley has to offer.

Ohhh, so we have to cater to you because you work in an industry where you work long weekends? my bad.
So if there is 2 long weekends like before, which staff members get to work the BC one and receive the extra pay? My bet is at $16 an hour everyone would want to work the BC stat, and then there would be no one to work the "out of town guest" long weekend so you could enjoy your holiday ...

How about every BC citizen gets to choose the dates of their stat holidays so it is convenient to everyone?

What happened to being grateful that we have an extra stat now?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I remember when Don Getty started Family Day ( AB 1990) at that time there were snide comments it was done to deflect a bit of a fam scandal.
Should be the same day across all the Provinces imo.
Perhaps BW was slower as people have less disposal income and seemed to be some free family friendly things to do it town Monday
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

soupy wrote:Ohhh, so we have to cater to you because you work in an industry where you work long weekends? my bad.
So if there is 2 long weekends like before, which staff members get to work the BC one and receive the extra pay? My bet is at $16 an hour everyone would want to work the BC stat, and then there would be no one to work the "out of town guest" long weekend so you could enjoy your holiday ...

How about every BC citizen gets to choose the dates of their stat holidays so it is convenient to everyone?

What happened to being grateful that we have an extra stat now?

I don't work in tourism or Quails Gate. it was just an example.

However some organizations do the combined stat thing. Instead of 10 stats and 15 vacation days, you get 25 days to do whatever the hell you want with. That accommodates the majority of religious beliefs as well. Some don't care about Christmas.

the group can easily vote to move the stat FYI so you can get the overtime on whichever day you wish, majority rules though

Also, most would not qualify for stat pay anyway. I believe it is you must have worked 15 of the last 30 days. Most wineries, restaurants, and other tourist based organizations would use their staff that are working less than the required time and therefore no stat pay. ie. the college kids.
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

98% of BC families go to ski hills on the weekend. Change the stat back.

Return to “Central Okanagan”