Worst Intersections in Okanagan....

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Worst Intersections in Okanagan....

Post by dle »

dirtybiker wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:
The highway was here long before Kelowna has grown into what it is today. I remember when it was just 2 lanes and virtually no traffic lights. [snip]The problems came later when {snip}

Just because.
Without a magic ball to what the future would bring, councils of the past allowed
the strip mall frenzy that was fairly common for the day to line Harvey Ave.
Hindsight being what it is should dictate that development should have a very healthy set-back
from main thoroughfares to allow for future infrastructure uses.

It's sure become a very complex beast now as any action will still open up
an issue a short stop away.

True, but at some point, as it became apparent to the residents of Kelowna, it MUST have become apparent to the councils of the day in Kelowna that all hell was on the horizon and coming in hot with traffic and infrastructure (lack of) and that they HAD to get on a plan right away to bypass etc. Did that happen...no not at all....they just kept building and doing NOTHING about the road planning. Did they get all up in MOT's grill about it until they got up here and at least started the planning. NO, that didn't, and still hasn't, happened either.

All we are concerned about here is building cement towers and bringing in more people and to hell with moving around.

We blew it and now we are in it big time and it's going to cost a bezillion dollars to even catch up to what it should have been like 5-10 years ago.

We have councils that wear blinders and have myopic eyesight to not see what's right in front of their faces but ignore it year after year.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Mark5 wrote:A major highway running through Kelowna has destroyed the quality of life here. It is like a dagger in the heart. Not only are we having crashes but air quality is suffering too. We desperately need a bypass. But finding a location would be difficult because of the lack of forward thinking. Still, something has to be done.

Option of an actual bypass is no longer in the cards, due to urban spread of Kelowna. Best option I've already posted in other threads, it was shot down by the business community back in the day.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

WalterWhite wrote:
dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/250255/Valley-s-worst-intersections

Hilarious map.....

Q: What is the worst intersection in the Okanagan Valley?
A: short answer: Kelowna

Not to argue the facts, but in keeping things in context traffic volume needs to be taken into account. I would venture to guess the numbers would indicate Kelowna’s traffic volume to be substantially higher than that of a Penticton and Vernon and as such so are the volume of incidents.

I would have expected Lumby to be #1, but what do I know....

Seriously though, The top accident intersections in Chilliwack have more traffic than Kelowna, and yet have fewer accidents.

Kelowna has 38 intersections with 101 to 551 accidents versus Chilliwack which has a mere 19 intersections with 101 to 361 accidents. I will leave it up to you to figure out why (hint: notice how Chilliwack's worst accidents are not on the busy Trans Canada highway)...

https://public.tableau.com/shared/854KR ... _count=yes

https://public.tableau.com/shared/YJ68C ... _count=yes
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:Seriously though, The top accident intersections in Chilliwack have more traffic than Kelowna, and yet have fewer accidents.

Kelowna has 38 intersections with 101 to 551 accidents versus Chilliwack which has a mere 19 intersections with 101 to 361 accidents. I will leave it up to you to figure out why (hint: notice how Chilliwack's worst accidents are not on the busy Trans Canada highway)...

https://public.tableau.com/shared/854KR ... _count=yes

https://public.tableau.com/shared/YJ68C ... _count=yes

Obvious reason being it's an overpass, something totally lacking in Kelowna (only 1 within CoK limits, and it's only 1 way... Oops besides the pedestrian walk way).
Way back in 60s, even if they didn't install them at least set aside the land needed for them later on. Wasn't done, so we are stuck with what we have (enjoy).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”