Dump to close in 2108

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Dump to close in 2108

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#250290

Seriously, too :cuss: people see it just as a dump.

Still putting paper and cardboard and boxboard in the garbage cans.
Still not taking things to the Battery Doctor.
Still throwing in glass.
Still not taking responsibility for the their garbage.

And there should be incineration on sight, come on Kelowna and district, technologies have improved.

Plastics leach out chemicals, have tougher sorting standards on site for wood etc.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Dump to close in 2108

Post by WalterWhite »

90 years from now...
The timeline is based on current landfill intake - look how much change has occurred here in the last 90 years.
This city hasn't properly managed it's growth and infrastructure in the last 15-20 years - who knows where it will be in 90 years.
The bigger question is, where's the new dump location going to be?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

We could load our garbage onto the Fintry Queen and let it paddle around the lake all day.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If only the current dump actually had a bottomless pit, damn not the case. How far away will next one be due to growing urban sprawl.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Too far away for most to comprehend. Everyone on this forum will be dust...there probably will not be a Castanet as well.

dont have to worry...the nukes would probably be flying around before then anyways.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Who the hell cares? By that time we're all be dead, and our grand-grand-grandkids will probably be living on Saturn or something.
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

Even Steven wrote:Who the hell cares?

Ironic. How many posts have I seen on Castanet complaining that “this could have been avoided if the City had planned better?” Now the City is attempting to plan better, no one cares!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

OhMyDarlin wrote:
Even Steven wrote:Who the hell cares?

Ironic. How many posts have I seen on Castanet complaining that “this could have been avoided if the City had planned better?” Now the City is attempting to plan better, no one cares!

I think the point is, 15-25 year planning would seem reasonable. 90 years is pie-in-the-sky. Why didn’t Father Pandosy have the original dump in its current location?
Bikes

Post by Bikes »

The kelowna dump is a joke.
Any business run half as bloated as them would be broke in a week.
They drink their own koolaide and think they are great.
They are in direct competition with its citizens. They should not be in the retail sales business.
They have an unfair advantage and they are stealing from the citizens by doing so.
The whole thing seems like someones pet hobby rather than a proper enterprise.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

^How so?

And I read the report to factor in future growth in anticipated capacity till closure, but I could be mistaken.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I'd say that's being very optimistic & I don't see how it could last anywhere close to 2108 if what I see being thrown into the garbage bins at my complex is becoming normal ?

The owners in my complex have absolutely zero care or concern & or take any responsibility towards what they throw into our waste bins ?
Don't believe any crap you read or hear about our City getting tough on offenders regarding what is put into waste bins because nothing is being done, it's all just suggestions & is a made to sound wonderful.
cabin1

Post by cabin1 »

Get with the times. Europe has a lot of clean burning and smokeless incinerators. They produced electricity from steam generators. Needing a fraction of the land they now need to bury or out of site out of mind. This sweeping the dirt under the carpet doesn’t solve anything. You can dig up old dump sites and read news papers from the 40’s. That would solve the plastic bag and straw issue that seems to bother so many people.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

WalterWhite wrote:90 years from now...
The timeline is based on current landfill intake - look how much change has occurred here in the last 90 years.
This city hasn't properly managed it's growth and infrastructure in the last 15-20 years - who knows where it will be in 90 years.
The bigger question is, where's the new dump location going to be?

"Based on our level of service, our growth and how much garbage people produce, 90 years is what we're looking at," said MacLean]

You didn't make it to the 3rd sentence?

It's forecast for 90 years from now. I know you want to gripe, but it's clear the city of Kelowna is thinking about this and it's 90 years in advance! I'd suggest it's too early to designate a replacement spot. Let's at least wait until we're 50 years out for that. Nobody can effectively plan that far in advance without a crystal ball.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Just in case people were unaware or forgot.
There is this, I was in on this project when it was
originally implemented. pretty cool.

Clean energy from our trash.
https://www.kelowna.ca/city-services/ga ... management
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

We could take a few lessons from Sweden. They’ve been leaders in recycling garbage for years.

https://en.reset.org/blog/sweden-buying-garbage-european-neighbours-07082014
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Central Okanagan”