Cornerstone Extension....

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Cornerstone Extension....

Post by WalterWhite »

Scrobins94 wrote:People behave very differently when they are living in a shittttty shelter compared to when they're housed.

In one environment they are sharing a big open space with a bunch or people and looking over their shoulder, in the other they have a peaceful private space to try to rebuild their lives.

It's kind of like saying you come out of the bar and some guy tries to hurt your wife. Then you might beat up the guy. Well are you a violent guy? No, probably not, but you had a response to the environment. People do and will behave differently when housed. And a good amount of them will move on to lead productive lives.

...and the disillusioned view through rose-colored glasses of this supposed utopia that awaits, for some will never change. It's clearly already happening next to an already provided peaceful private space yet somehow you continue to walk with a bag over your head thinking it's going to change. Unbelievable.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

Scrobins94 wrote:People behave very differently when they are living in a shittttty shelter compared to when they're housed.

In one environment they are sharing a big open space with a bunch or people and looking over their shoulder, in the other they have a peaceful private space to try to rebuild their lives.

INSERT.. and do their drugs in private, go out and rob more people for more drugs, then go hide in their free place.. repeat.

oh yeah, and then blame everyone but themselves for their lousy choices in life, and then kick holes in the walls of their brand new free place..
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

It's kind of like saying you come out of the bar and some guy tries to hurt your wife. Then you might beat up the guy. Well are you a violent guy? No, probably not, but you had a response to the environment. People do and will behave differently when housed. And a good amount of them will move on to lead productive lives.

I hear where you are coming from and that's maybe how you or I THINK we'd feel (I know I'd like a place of my own if I was in that position) but sorry, there's a "but"....the addict will still be an addict in their own little home sweet home, or in the shelter or wherever they are roofed IF the home is a wet facility! There will be ZERO hope they will be even ABLE to quit if they want to when they are housed with other addicts who are continuing on in the lifestyle. There is a slim to zero chance (and slim just left the building), that they will even be INCLINED to quit when they are housed with other addicts who continue to use and no effort is made to discourage their using - actually the opposite will happen! Oh, they might talk the talk and say they have every intention of quitting and SOON, but you know the road to hell is paved with good intentions.....

When we read of an addict (I posted the link to the story recently), who is really trying to at least slow down their use, and has been successful, to a point they can actually see a "maybe" in the quit column saying THEY don't believe the wet houses will work at all, and THEY are AFRAID to be housed there, what does that tell us? This guy would RATHER live out in the woods in the freezing cold than go to Aggasiz!! Now, maybe he personally hasn't been invited, who knows his back-story really, but he made some good points against wet housing. That's coming right from someone who KNOWS about addiction first-hand. The ones lovin' on the thought of moving into Aggasiz are the ones who don't have any intention of quitting and haven't they scored! They don't have to! Talk about a sweet piece of pie!
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

"Talk about a sweet piece of pie!"

Who doesn't like pie :raspberry:
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

What I don't get. Journey Home, BC Housing, John Howard Society want low/no barrier housing for people who won't/can't quit their addictions, so probably won't quit their lifestyle of doing whatever it takes to get their next fix, including stealing, begging, harassing, etc. Why move these people into residential areas where the people currently living there feel safe in their neighbourhood and home? There aren't any real good answers of who will live in the no barrier housing, it depends who you ask. Do the people who want to change their life get first dibs, or is it first come first serve, or is the real criteria lets just move everyone from the downtown core causing a problem into the residential areas?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

wanderer wrote:What I don't get. Journey Home, BC Housing, John Howard Society want low/no barrier housing for people who won't/can't quit their addictions, so probably won't quit their lifestyle of doing whatever it takes to get their next fix, including stealing, begging, harassing, etc. Why move these people into residential areas where the people currently living there feel safe in their neighbourhood and home? There aren't any real good answers of who will live in the no barrier housing, it depends who you ask. Do the people who want to change their life get first dibs, or is it first come first serve, or is the real criteria lets just move everyone from the downtown core causing a problem into the residential areas?

To those that think a simple roof over one’s head and “their own peaceful place”is the answer to all the social problems facing this incredibly diverse-problem demographic, the answer is yes. There have been actual posts/comments made that this segment of society will eventually be “helping little old ladies cross the street” in their new neighbourhoods - of course as we’ve just witnessed, they’ll also go on to threaten staff and smash the windows out of the store when they get to the other side of the street.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I still can't think of a better way other than to have these shelters
in fairly remote areas to curb temptation and restrict access to
the demons of their ills.
In turn greatly reduces the compulsive theft that presents
itself to feed those demons.

When placed smack dab in the middle of all the action the temptations
are too strong for those of compromised or weak of will to overcome.

Essential services and personnel brought in.

Besides, some fresh air does a body good.

It could be run like a big ol' Boy Scout camp.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

bjsilent wrote:"Talk about a sweet piece of pie!"

Exactly my point....
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

bjsilent wrote:"Talk about a sweet piece of pie!"

I don’t. I prefer cake. And I want to eat it too.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

some of the Journey Home people are nominated for Civil Awards
this place should not have an extension
feel badly for the businesses having to deal with it Daily, meanwhile I just avoid the entire area
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i say cut the cancer..............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... dual-close

They've extended it AGAIN for 3 months apparently because THIS extension will give them time to find alternative housing and provide a GRADUAL closure??? This place has been on the chopping block for at least a year....

Apparently some of the residents who were placed in "supportive housing" found "it didn't work for them" so they hurried back to Cornerstone's den of druggies. What didn't they like about their new free home? Gosh, no turn down service with a chocolate on the pillow? Yeah, harsh, but let's get real here.

I'm can only guess "supportive housing" doesn't allow them to use drugs and that just wouldn't do would it? (although with all the different housing terms someone should author a dictionary for us to keep up). If it's not a drug den they don't want it? Tough noogies!
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/250874/Cornerstone-s-gradual-close

They've extended it AGAIN for 3 months apparently because THIS extension will give them time to find alternative housing and provide a GRADUAL closure??? This place has been on the chopping block for at least a year....

Apparently some of the residents who were placed in "supportive housing" found "it didn't work for them" so they hurried back to Cornerstone's den of druggies. What didn't they like about their new free home? Gosh, no turn down service with a chocolate on the pillow? Yeah, harsh, but let's get real here.

I'm can only guess "supportive housing" doesn't allow them to use drugs and that just wouldn't do would it? (although with all the different housing terms someone should author a dictionary for us to keep up). If it's not a drug den they don't want it? Tough noogies!

They couldn't adhere to the rules, cornerstone has no rules
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

bjsilent wrote:
dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/250874/Cornerstone-s-gradual-close

They couldn't adhere to the rules, cornerstone has no rules

Yeah, well life IS rules, some none of us like but we have to deal with it best we can. When they are being offered free lodging, free food, free clothing and all you have to do is not shoot up on the premises even they should be able to figure out its a good deal and shut up and accept it.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

They are allowed to use inside the supportive housing units, what few rules they are expected to abide by they can't so they leave and go back to places such as Cornerstone where they can use and there are absolutely no rules.

Return to “Central Okanagan”