Canyon Falls rescue

OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Canyon Falls rescue

Post by OldBlindDog »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... red-by-ice

Seriously? The park is closed due to slope stability issues, and some lady decides to crawl around there and get herself injured in the process. Rescuers are having a difficult time due to icy conditions.

I hope this idiot has to pay for their own rescue. Sorry, can't be *bleep* to work up sympathy for this person.
DaveC
Board Meister

Re: Canyon Falls rescue

Post by DaveC »

Yes the area is closed and people should stay out of there or they can get injured.

There is no charge for Search and Rescue in BC regardless of the circumstances. We want to focus on getting people home safe. Adding the financial aspect to it complicates that job and ultimately makes it less safe and more time expensive.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

Yeah, I guess I knew she wouldn't have to pay. I was expressing frustration, is all. It's not just the cost and the risk of injury, but also the unnecessary contribution to erosion that is frustrating to a nature lover like me. Anyway, she's out, and relatively OK, so kudos to the search and rescue team.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

OldBlindDog wrote:Yeah, I guess I knew she wouldn't have to pay. I was expressing frustration, is all. It's not just the cost and the risk of injury, but also the unnecessary contribution to erosion that is frustrating to a nature lover like me. Anyway, she's out, and relatively OK, so kudos to the search and rescue team.

ya nothing worse than all that unnecessary erosion on the ice and snow :200:
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

LTD wrote:ya nothing worse than all that unnecessary erosion on the ice and snow :200:

https://www.kelowna.ca/parks-recreation ... falls-park

"Note: this park is currently closed due to slope stability issues."

Duh.
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

This is anarchy
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

One person might not create a significant problem but where there's one there will be others. And the fact she put others at risk as well is inexcusable.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Are you sure the falls area is closed ?
I am thinking its a very short trail from the top, and does not pass thru much of the Canyon..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Article said park and website said closed
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

TerriJ73 wrote:This is anarchy

No this is the attitude of some that live in Kelowna.

Like skiing in a area posted "STAY OUT" out of bounds. It's all about me, if something happens they will have to come and get me!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone's aware the park's closed. Are there "Park Closed" signs at all possible areas of access? Are gates locked and the only way in is to hop fences or gates? Without knowing the details it's possible she may even have entered the area hiking up the creek.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Parks and trails can be closed over the winter months (usually there are signs) and it's up to the hiker to know what's accessible and what isn't. This one has been in the news as being closed because of stability issues and the work that needed to be done on it because of flooding. I don't know if it was opened up again. Pays to check the website of the trails/parks you want to visit before venturing out.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ken7 wrote:
TerriJ73 wrote:This is anarchy

No this is the attitude of some that live in Kelowna.

Like skiing in a area posted "STAY OUT" out of bounds. It's all about me, if something happens they will have to come and get me!

Which is exactly what happened to the guy now recovering from severe frostbite when he did this up at Big White, in minus 25. Good thing someone knew to call when he didn't get back. Rescuers found him, just in time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fair enough and sage advice, unfortunately many don’t and simply decide to go for a hike on a nice day and venture further/into areas than previously unplanned. We simply have no background on the specifics of how she arrived where she did and whether she knew prior that the park was closed and deliberately put herself and others in peril. I’m sure it was just someone hoping for that next great Instagram photo op, but playing Devil’s advocate, it just seems rather unreasonable to publicly vilify someone when so many pertinent details are unknown - of course, where would Castanet forums be if not for that?!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

How many times does one read - don't go out alone? I'm assuming she was as there's no mention of a second hiker.
A woman is the subject of the rescue, who was injured near a waterfall around dusk.

https://www.tourismkelowna.com/listing/ ... alls/1587/

Just look at the snow there so you know there's ice as well.
A hiker had to be rescued Saturday evening after she fell in icy conditions landing at the bottom of a waterfall at Kelowna’s Canyon Falls Park.

The woman was hurt in the fall, which search and rescue estimates was less than 20 feet, and was “unable to hike back out because of her injuries,” according to the fire department.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5065430/hike ... onditions/

I certainly hope she recovers fully and I doubt she'll be hiking any time soon but she is extremely lucky - 20 feet is still a long way down.

Return to “Central Okanagan”