Baby stealer jumps in lake

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Baby stealer jumps in lake

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote:its pretty clear this guy is guilty....................

In the court of public opinion anyways.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

alanjh595 wrote:

IF it is proven he is not mentally sound to have realized what he was doing, he is not charged. As he will not be criminally responsible for his actions. He will spend some time in a health centre and then be released on medication.

Again, all will be well until he stops his meds and goes off again.
Last edited by Ken7 on May 26th, 2019, 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote:
the truth wrote:its pretty clear this guy is guilty....................

its pretty clear what he did, what he did was criminal imo
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote:

I totally agree however in Canada you need to be mentally capable to for what is one part of the crime, the "mens rea" if not you are not chargeable.

In saying that there are some self induced conditions that do not excuse you.

Mens rea
Mens rea (/ˈmɛnz ˈriːə/; Law Latin for "guilty mind") is the mental element of a person's intention to commit a crime; or knowledge that one's action or lack of action would cause a crime to be committed. It is a necessary element of many crimes.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Ken7 wrote:
the truth wrote:

I totally agree however in Canada you need to be mentally capable to for what is one part of the crime, the "mens rea" if not you are not chargeable.

Mens rea
Mens rea (/ˈmɛnz ˈriːə/; Law Latin for "guilty mind") is the mental element of a person's intention to commit a crime; or knowledge that one's action or lack of action would cause a crime to be committed. It is a necessary element of many crimes.

Wonder if a guy could claim he was drunk. Get away with a crime
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Country plough boy wrote:
i

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Ken7 wrote:
the truth wrote:

Mens rea

I would argue that his attempted escape, was evidence enough to show that he was of right enough mind to know what he did was wrong.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Ken7 wrote:
i

I would argue. The privelleged hockey player knew what he was doing. He endangered the life of a small baby. Put the family through a lot of unwanted trauma. Who knows the long term ramifications of all this on the child and its mother.

I would love to see this privelleged hockey player get hard time. I still think 2 years would not be long enough. However we will be lucky to see Pirko get 2 years.

My drunk comment was ridiculous. Or was it. Look at the murder trial of Pirko. Being a junkie has played into his favour . Messed up province we live in
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I would argue. The privelleged hockey player knew what he was doing. He endangered the life of a small baby. Put the family through a lot of unwanted trauma. Who knows the long term ramifications of all this on the child and its mother.

I would love to see this privelleged hockey player get hard time. I still think 2 years would not be long enough. However we will be lucky to see Pirko get 2 years.

My drunk comment was ridiculous. Or was it. Look at the murder trial of Pirko. Being a junkie has played into his favour . Messed up province we live in

I have not been following the case you present. I do wish Judges would ask the defense, how long has your client know he has had a problem? What has he done to make positive change? We will adjourn until tomorrow afternoon. Be prepared if what you are saying can not be proved that he has tried to correct, you may both need suitcases!! Then this BS would stop.

Many of these persons have been troubled for many years and have done nothing to change. Lawyers use that every case, poor me, poor life, poor parents and no one is held accountable for their actions or lack there of.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[qute="Country plough boy"]
Ken7 wrote:
the truth wrote:

Mens rea

Wonder if a guy could claim he was drunk. Get away with a crime[/quote]

in kelowna you can blame it on anything else but yourself .. and get away with it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

alanjh595 wrote:
I would argue that his attempted escape, was evidence enough to show that he was of right enough mind to know what he did was wrong.

Someone suffering with mental issues gets a group of persons running at him to SAVE the child, might feel his wellbeing is at risk. Many mental health issues could cause him to panic, a man in his physical shape could have likely fled on foot. A person of sound mind likely wouldn't strip right down and jump in the lake at that time of year...

To make that assumption that he knew what he was doing and is mentally fit is jumping and grasping at straws. I don't have a degree in phycology and I'm suggesting no-one who has would conclude he was of sound mind by his actions of running into the lake.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Would that not be like saying that he ran because people were chasing him? If they didn't give chase, would he have not run?

Was this a very short psychotic break that lasted for less than 1 minute? This would be very difficult to prove/disprove in court.

This is where his previous actions will become an important part of the diagnosis. If he is medicated, is he not capable of understanding a trial and it's ramifications? If medication has been prescribed previously and he hasn't taken it that day, does he still have a defense? After all, if someone drinks and does something illegal, is their a defense for their actions if they are drunk at the time? Same question for drug impaired.
Anti-NMDA Mom

Post by Anti-NMDA Mom »

alanjh595 wrote:Was this a very short psychotic break that lasted for less than 1 minute? This would be very difficult to prove/disprove in court.
I have seen this in a medical condition.

alanjh595 wrote:This is where his previous actions will become an important part of the diagnosis. If he is medicated, is he not capable of understanding a trial and it's ramifications?
He may have impaired memory and have been unable to even remember what took place.

There is so much we do not know that it's impossible to determine.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

He may have impaired memory and have been unable to even remember what took place.

The same can be said for drunks and druggies too.

I agree.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Anti-NMDA Mom wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Was this a very short psychotic break that lasted for less than 1 minute? This would be very difficult to prove/disprove in court.
I have seen this in a medical condition.

alanjh595 wrote:This is where his previous actions will become an important part of the diagnosis. If he is medicated, is he not capable of understanding a trial and it's ramifications?

Looks like classic meth use symptoms to me

Return to “Central Okanagan”