Check Price before filling...of course!

Kelaurican

Check Price before filling...of course!

Post by Kelaurican »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... re-filling

Guess this guy learned the hard way to differentiate between price-at-the-pump and signage.

I always check what the price on the pump is before hitting the button. Everyone should. Especially during any period of fluctuating prices (gas war, daily price changes, or other reasons this happens)
If he'd spent any of his time (possibly days worth) of standing and waiting for the gas to fill he could've read the stickers on the pump that say PUMP prices are the numbers used in any discrepancy.

Any driving instructor or parent teaching their kids to drive, should be teaching them this too. You need to pay attention to the pump just as much as you do the road now.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Check Price before filling...of course!

Post by jimmy4321 »

Ya, while on the subject of accidental charges.
Though a few years apart, twice I almost tapped my card, but realised just in the nick of time I was about to be overcharged.
First time actual price was about 4.87 but the debit machine showed 14.87, the second time it was $50 over my actual purchases.
This was at 2 different locations buying a little junk food.

So now I wait out till I see the price show up, sometimes they can be slow to cycle back to display the price.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Especially with Petro Can apparently, given I noted one day the price at the station referred to, was 10 cents a liter higher than the Petro Can across the road at 7-11.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Station made a mistake.
When price goes up it should be sign first then pumps
When price goes down it should be pumps first then sign
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I never check the price when I fill up. I don't even look at the sign. If I need gas I fill up. The whatever savings I would achieve by driving to a different station would be negated by more driving and wasted time.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Even Steven wrote:I never check the price when I fill up. I don't even look at the sign. If I need gas I fill up. The whatever savings I would achieve by driving to a different station would be negated by more driving and wasted time.

You do realize that a 10 cents discrepancy at the SAME gas station should be addressed and doesn't mean more driving?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:
Even Steven wrote:I never check the price when I fill up. I don't even look at the sign. If I need gas I fill up. The whatever savings I would achieve by driving to a different station would be negated by more driving and wasted time.

You do realize that a 10 cents discrepancy at the SAME gas station should be addressed and doesn't mean more driving?

The guy wouldn't get anywhere though because the stations always have little disclaimers that say in the event of a dispute, the price on the pump rules.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

I think some of you are misunderstanding the price at the pump sticker shall be taken as correct when there's a discrepancy That is when there's a discrepancy between the price at the pump and the price inside the store. Not on the sign. The price on the sign better be what the price on the pump is otherwise that is false advertising and they can get in trouble for that..
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Urban Cowboy wrote:The guy wouldn't get anywhere though because the stations always have little disclaimers that say in the event of a dispute, the price on the pump rules.

You are right and I forgot about those little signs.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Station made a mistake.
When price goes up it should be sign first then pumps
When price goes down it should be pumps first then sign

They claimed the sign was broken.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So when you know the next station along your route is cheaper you still stop at the more expensive one? :135:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:So when you know the next station along your route is cheaper you still stop at the more expensive one? :135:

They probably have better gas.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Bsuds wrote:So when you know the next station along your route is cheaper you still stop at the more expensive one? :135:

For the most part, it's a gamble. It might be more expensive, it might less expensive. It might be less expensive tomorrow, it might be more expensive tomorrow. You can use an app and purposely look for cheaper gas, but what will you gain? Instead of trying to save a few bucks a week, I prefer not to preoccupy myself with it. I pay what I pay, and I move on.
snarkybc

Post by snarkybc »

I have seen this before, and I agree it is a bit of false advertising. I also believe as one person commented that the pennies you save by driving to a different station is negligible.

I for one am tired of the gas taxes being imposed on the price at the pump and so I have purchased an electric car. For the next little while, I can feel happy about driving past every gas station until the government decides to tax that too.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

snarkybc wrote:I have purchased an electric car.

Oh, cool! What kind?

Return to “Central Okanagan”