It's an electric future??

Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

It's an electric future??

Post by Terris »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... ric-future

Sounds like a whole lot of sunshine a smiles but, is it really going to be the savior of the planet??

https://www.clf.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... 4-2012.pdf

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/our ... power.html

So, in addition to the carbon costs related to developing so called, "green energy", it's obviously currently impractical, especially here in rugged, spread out and remote BC, and if we all switched to electric transport, where would all the required electricity come from to allow everyone to simply plug their cars in at home?

We'd need to build several more dams just to provide enough electricity for BC alone. (see link above for the costs)

IF... We had adopted Nikola Tesla's ideas regarding electricity 100 years ago, than we might now be in a comfortable position to have electric everything; but that didn't happen.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/20/ ... e-driving/

So, Electric cars may be a part of the future but they are NOT the global saviours that proponents would have you believe; at least NOT without a whole lot more pollution being added to the biosphere for the foreseeable future...
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: It's an electric future??

Post by OKkayak »

From the above posted links:

Now put that power into vehicles, where they can cover 700 km on a 15-minute charge.

Guarantee another 100kms to that range and guarantee a full charge in no more than 5 min, for the same price as my current vehicle, then I'll be interested, not before.

How about flying vehicles with ranges of 1000 km on a single charge using fully auto-piloted using GPS navigation? You could go to an event in Vancouver, and be in your own bed by midnight. Of course, the flying vehicles would be vertical thrust, so your driveway is your new runway.

What about icing conditions and inclement weather? What happens when you're flying over the mountains to this event in Vancouver and the flying car has a mechanical issue that requires immediate assistance?
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Or just getting stuck in the winter on the Coquihalla due an accident that has brought traffic to a standstill. That battery isn't going to keep you warm for long. And when it dies, then what? Someone can't bring you a jerry can to get you going. So that leaves you with either a tow truck (gas powered) or maybe you or someone happens to have a generator (gas powered) to charge you back up again...while you wait...and wait...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Electric is so "carbon heavy" , it would make your head spin ..

But ONLY if you actually did the research ...

Our kids today are too stupid to do that and their parents are drinkin spiked cool aide ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^And when you rationally try to educate them enough to only rely on
their own, in depth and diverse research in the stead of the study or
paper of the day, they fly off on a triggered tangent, start shouting
for change, and stop listening.

So easily blinded.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Maybe I have an eye out there for Tesla's but see quite a few of them in Ottawa, Toronto, Lower Mainland that's not counting all the hybrids that don't really stand out.
Honestly if they got the range to 400km, I'm in.

I know you can't mention electric without entering the enviro conversation, and clearly that was started by the pro electric folks, but as quiet and torquey as they are I really don't care.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

jimmy4321 wrote:Maybe I have an eye out there for Tesla's but see quite a few of them in Ottawa, Toronto, Lower Mainland that's not counting all the hybrids that don't really stand out.

Lots of Teslas in Vancouver, but also lots of Bentley's, RR's, Lambo's, Mercedes, BMW, Maserati's, etc. People got the money there.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Well this doesn't seem all that green now does it? .............

Tesla car battery production releases as much CO2 as 8 years of gasoline driving

And that's just the battery production aspect, now figure in the other components required to produce the whole vehicle, from tires to upholstery, panels, etc. :200:

Nissan Leaf ain't much better.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/20/ ... e-driving/
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
tabanner

Post by tabanner »

jimmy4321 wrote:Maybe I have an eye out there for Tesla's but see quite a few of them in Ottawa, Toronto, Lower Mainland that's not counting all the hybrids that don't really stand out.

I know you can't mention electric without entering the enviro conversation, and clearly that was started by the pro electric folks, but as quiet and torquey as they are I really don't care.

The current range of the S is actually 600 km (long range), the X is 525 km (long range) and the 3 is 500 km (long range).
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

tabanner wrote:

The current range of the S is actually 600 km (long range), the X is 525 km (long range) and the 3 is 500 km (long range).

Well there ya go, the more ya know.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

dirtybiker wrote:^^^And when you rationally try to educate them enough to only rely on
their own, in depth and diverse research in the stead of the study or
paper of the day, they fly off on a triggered tangent, start shouting
for change, and stop listening.

So easily blinded.

They'll just stage a walkout and picket on the front lawn.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Well, we did adopt Nicola Tesla’s ideas of A/C power rather than D/C. Electricity will be the future for many things long term. It will take an extraordinary amount of time for industry to be exclusively electric. Cars are on their way but are still somewhat hindered by their battery technology. The amount of electricity required to be exclusively electric rules out solar and wind and will come when new nuclear significantly ramps up. Coal brought the masses out of the dark ages thanks to cheap energy. Fusion and thorium which can have a million times higher energy density, will transform the future again.

Some things such as rocket engines will continue to need some sort of fuel.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here some food for thought, look into total revenue brought in to both the provinces & feds from just gasoline & diesel (just from pump sales).
Then ask yourself were is that revenue going come from with EV.

Stats Canada keeps total litres sold of both gasoline & diesel, just help on your search.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

What ever happened to the hydrogen fuel cell technology that was supposed to be superior to battery powered cars?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Catri wrote:What ever happened to the hydrogen fuel cell technology that was supposed to be superior to battery powered cars?

It's alive and being funded/tested.
https://www.trucknews.com/sustainabilit ... 003090249/
Bison Transport and Trimac Transportation will be the carriers involved in the testing for the
hydrogen fuel freight project, which will run until mid 2022.
Two heavy duty, extended range, hydrogen fuel cell electric
hybrid trucks will haul freight between Calgary and Edmonton.

Capable of travelling up to 700km. the 64 tonne B-train tractor trailers
will be the first vehicles of this size and capacity built and tested
in the world.

They will be Freightliner Cascadia's up-fitted with Ballard hydrogen fuel cells
mated to Dana TM4 electric drive system.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”