Cornerstone gets extension...

normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Cornerstone gets extension...

Post by normaM »

I just read the article
"The province is spending $2.4 million a year to keep Cornerstone open." What the heck?
Not to mention the costs of the free clinic, etc.
They must pay the staff at Cornerstone very well
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

normaM wrote:I just read the article
"The province is spending $2.4 million a year to keep Cornerstone open." What the heck?
Not to mention the costs of the free clinic, etc.
They must pay the staff at Cornerstone very well

i do believe its about $19hour
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It's not what the hourly staff make, it's about how much the salaried directors and upper management make.

I shudder to think what the insurance costs are.
Bring back the LIKE button.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Most of the Funding will go towards lease payments for the building, electricity bills, monies will be paid to the Kelowna Gospel Mission who provides lunch and dinner to the clients of Cornerstone. Monies will go towards cleaning supplies and for the washcart they have outback for the clients to shower etc etc. It costs quite a bit to run a homeless shelter so dont think that the 2.4 million being provided will be going to managerial wages and staff working at Cornerstone get $18.00 per hour.
0mni
Fledgling

Post by 0mni »

Why is there more than one staff. Shouldn't these homeless that are just going through a rough patch(as one person stated) be making their own bed and cleaning the facility that is provided for free. It's so nice to know that our government is our moral compass and hand out all this charity to the less fortunate. But at the same time put a knife in the back to all those that get up everyday and go to work. How much can you take. What an example to those that work one or two jobs and still can't make ends meet, what are they to think watching this nonsense

Post by 1092 »

On Thursday, I came along the 200 block Leon Ave., There were about 70 persons sat along the side walks.
There were 2 groups of about 12/14 males/ females sat in a circle passing around needles and having a real party.
No RCMP or By-Law to be seen, Why is Kelowna a clearing house for every derelict from across Canada??? The more we house and feed them, the more will come to Kelowna.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

I do feel sorry for the business that being affected but you cannot fight the government what they want they take and do not even consider what the tax paying public wants. Maybe some of these elected officials should have offices moved into the area around Cornerstone and see how they feel after 6 months of working in the area, I bet they will be closing it down.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

tabubil wrote:I do feel sorry for the business that being affected but you cannot fight the government what they want they take and do not even consider what the tax paying public wants. Maybe some of these elected officials should have offices moved into the area around Cornerstone and see how they feel after 6 months of working in the area, I bet they will be closing it down.

Perhaps, they should be reminded at the ballot box.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

tabubil wrote:I do feel sorry for the business that being affected but you cannot fight the government what they want they take and do not even consider what the tax paying public wants. Maybe some of these elected officials should have offices moved into the area around Cornerstone and see how they feel after 6 months of working in the area, I bet they will be closing it down.

if that was the case basran would close it down after only one day
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

How did Basran get 57% of votes? Is there something in Kelowna’s water?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Mike Br. wrote:How did Basran get 57% of votes? Is there something in Kelowna’s water?

Don't you drink the same water?
Bring back the LIKE button.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Mike Br. wrote:How did Basran get 57% of votes? Is there something in Kelowna’s water?

Cause only a small percentile went and voted, if people of Kelowna were to actually vote he wouldn't have been relected. I saw Mayor Basran at the amusement rides during Rutland May Days and watched him walk around and not one person that i could see would acknowledge him. Any Mayor in any other town would have been approached.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bjsilent wrote:

Cause only a small percentile went and voted, if people of Kelowna were to actually vote he wouldn't have been relected. I saw Mayor Basran at the amusement rides during Rutland May Days and watched him walk around and not one person that i could see would acknowledge him. Any Mayor in any other town would have been approached.

WHY would they acknowledge him , he is not liked, was he surrounded by the rcmp in rutland for protection [icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by the truth on May 25th, 2019, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

$2.4M/year to keep that facility open for 65 people. That's $36,923 per homeless/addict. The "average" taxpayer doesn't even earn that much money/ year.

Instead of paying for Cornerstone, our government could house them in regular units for around $1,000/mo [or turn the tap off and stop the outrageous spending and lower our taxes].

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ornerstone
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

alanjh595 wrote:

Don't you drink the same water?

No, I don’t drink water. :130:

Return to “Central Okanagan”