Helicopter Season is approaching!

t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Helicopter Season is approaching!

Post by t76turbo »

One more thing to add. I grew up next to a cherry orchard and when I moved out of my parents home, I moved next to another farm with alfalfa fields all around me. It wasn’t uncommon for the farmer to mow his field the night before a forecasted rain storm. Sadly this sometimes started at 12 AM and would go on to the early morning hours.
I wasn’t happy about it as the tractor would pass within 30 feet of my bedroom window. I’m sure the farmer didn’t want to be up at those hours either but had to mow before the rain knocked over the crop.
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

fall wrote:If they require kilometres to ascend and descend, maybe over neighbourhoods, businesses and regional parks, all congested areas isn’t the best place to have operations set up.Of course they do not need that distance to land and take off but it is a convenient excuse to justify flying low.If they do need lots of space to land and take off, they may need a wide open flight path that WK can not offer.I should note that two out of the three companies in operation are professional and seemingly adhere to transport Canada’s flight restrictions the best they can. One other company, well, maybe not so much lol.Anyway !

Kilometers to ascend and descend...nope. Alpine has been in that location since 1968. Houses and business's have grown around a heliport. I'm guessing since one is located in that business park, then it might be pretty difficult to prevent others from setting up shop. Obviously allowed in the zoning by-laws for the area.
Flying low and fast in a helicopter is a most exhilarating thing to do. Not a good thing to do over built up areas. High and fast, not so much.
Any complaints lately about helicopters being used to dry cherries? Nope, well good then, hope it doesn't rain until harvest time, If it does, the helicopters will be out again.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

double post, whoops
I am not wealthy but I am rich
littlebratt

Post by littlebratt »

and they are back! loving it:)
Attachments
IMG_20190619_145727949_HDR.jpg
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

littlebratt wrote:and they are back! loving it:)

Great photo.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I heard them yesterday morning and then it rained again so they came back. That has to cut into the profits to the point it’s not worth it anymore. Years ago i lived near a cherry orchard and the farmer would take his empty sprayer out and blow off the water.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

That is why Helicopters are more effective than a sprayer
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Symbonite wrote:That is why Helicopters are more effective than a sprayer

what are they supposed to spray air? im not sure that is how they work
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Anonymous123 wrote:I heard them yesterday morning and then it rained again so they came back. That has to cut into the profits to the point it’s not worth it anymore. Years ago i lived near a cherry orchard and the farmer would take his empty sprayer out and blow off the water.

obviously it doesnt cut in to the cost enough to make it not worth their while or they would not be doing it
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

voice of reason wrote:
Symbonite wrote:That is why Helicopters are more effective than a sprayer

what are they supposed to spray air? im not sure that is how they work

a sprayer is basically a large fan driven off the tractors pto so its very much like a helicopter just not big enough
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

LTD wrote:
voice of reason wrote:what are they supposed to spray air? im not sure that is how they work

a sprayer is basically a large fan driven off the tractors pto so its very much like a helicopter just not big enough

does it matter if the air is coming up from the bottom instead of the top? is it more beneficial to blow air down from the top than up from the bottom?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

im going to assume its best to blow the water off the top because that's where the sun tends to hit them
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I have to also assume that the helicopter has way more power, and volume, blowing down on the trees, than a sprayer would, so the sprayer would take much longer in doing a task that is time sensitive.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
littlebratt

Post by littlebratt »

they actually run both, the tractor and the choppers up where i am:)
Swacked

Post by Swacked »

We actually run huge fans connected to the tractor p.t.o. Until the chopper shows up.

Return to “Central Okanagan”