Bus drivers pulling out before passengers ready

Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Bus drivers pulling out before passengers ready

Post by Hornswoggle »

Childs safety at risk
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ty-at-risk
Slow down guys!
My gf, who has disability issues is scared to ride the bus, because even when she asks the driver starts moving before she is seated. Maybe when you get your clicker to extend the green light, you may have extra 20 seconds to let the people paying your wage the opportunity to sit down safely before you cut out into traffic.

To lady who made complaints, good for you. I hope you ride our mostly empty busses safely in the future
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Bus drivers pulling out before passengers ready

Post by LTD »

my god society has gotten weak. :cuss: pathetic
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Why not be a good boyfriend and drive her to work?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

I’ve been to some countries, where it’s a common practice. In some cases, buses only slow to a crawl at the stop, while passengers try to jump in and out of the vehicle still in motion. Pretty scary. Could it be that it’s a cultural issue with some of these Kelowna drivers?
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Mike Br. wrote:I’ve been to some countries, where it’s a common practice. In some cases, buses only slow to a crawl at the stop, while passengers try to jump in and out of the vehicle still in motion. Pretty scary. Could it be that it’s a cultural issue with some of these Kelowna drivers?

Just like the streetcars in San Francisco. Ever try and get on a Gondola in Venice?
Hint. never attempt after lunch.
Bring back the LIKE button.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Common sense for any driver, wait until certain passengers (elderly, disabled, strollers) are seated or secure before you pull away.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

OKkayak wrote:Common sense for any driver, wait until certain passengers (elderly, disabled, strollers) are seated or secure before you pull away.

Only makes sense
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Hornswoggle wrote:Childs safety at risk
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ty-at-risk
Slow down guys!
My gf, who has disability issues is scared to ride the bus, because even when she asks the driver starts moving before she is seated. Maybe when you get your clicker to extend the green light, you may have extra 20 seconds to let the people paying your wage the opportunity to sit down safely before you cut out into traffic.

To lady who made complaints, good for you. I hope you ride our mostly empty busses safely in the future

Just an observation, your complaint is a valid complaint, but as soon as you add stuff like "people paying your wage" and "ride our empty buses" it adds a lot of discredit to your post. Having read your posting history, it seems that you seem to have had quite a few personal encounters with various drivers in town, whether they're driving a bus, a cab or a white BMW. Things that make one wonder if your beef is more than about the incident in your post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Bus drivers are under immense pressure to not deviate too far from the clock at certain timing points. I don't know how bad the pressure is for BC Transit Operators, but Translink (CMBC) Operators that fall behind too often are called in and given a written warning. Three warnings and you're out.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

36Drew wrote:Translink (CMBC) Operators that fall behind too often are called in and given a written warning. Three warnings and you're out.

Depending on the reason, if its for personal reasons such as running late and using your recovery time to go to Timmie's thats one thing, but if they're running late and need to use the loo or other reasonable reasons, its no problem, they'll just get short turned somewhere down the line and back on schedule. BC Transit is no different, if its a valid reason, it's all good.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

OKkayak wrote:
36Drew wrote:Translink (CMBC) Operators that fall behind too often are called in and given a written warning. Three warnings and you're out.

Depending on the reason, if its for personal reasons such as running late and using your recovery time to go to Timmie's thats one thing, but if they're running late and need to use the loo or other reasonable reasons, its no problem, they'll just get short turned somewhere down the line and back on schedule. BC Transit is no different, if its a valid reason, it's all good.

For Translink/CMBC, there's a sheet to be filled out and submitted when there's route problems (ie., unaccounted-for traffic diversion, the timings are unreasonable, etc). Translink busses have GPS in the farebox/console, and the data is analyzed regularly. Drivers sign in to the consoles, and the consoles are paddle-aware (aware of the route and the timings). If there aren't any service comment sheets to back up delays recorded by the GPS, drivers are called in.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

36Drew wrote:For Translink/CMBC, there's a sheet to be filled out and submitted when there's route problems (ie., unaccounted-for traffic diversion, the timings are unreasonable, etc). Translink busses have GPS in the farebox/console, and the data is analyzed regularly. Drivers sign in to the consoles, and the consoles are paddle-aware (aware of the route and the timings). If there aren't any service comment sheets to back up delays recorded by the GPS, drivers are called in.

Sent you a PM.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Had one cut me off in my dump truck yesterday. Some drivers have rage issues. Most are professionals . If the guy who cut me off reads this. No hard feelings. It was a tight spot. I had no where to stop.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

OKkayak wrote:Sent you a PM.

thx. and I responded.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Country plough boy wrote:Had one cut me off in my dump truck yesterday. Some drivers have rage issues. Most are professionals . If the guy who cut me off reads this. No hard feelings. It was a tight spot. I had no where to stop.

Was the bus signalling? If so, you're required to let them pull out and merge. That doesn't excuse the driver for outright cutting you off, as they're still not supposed to do that. It may have simply been driver error.

Return to “Central Okanagan”