A charge for electric cars

snarkybc

A charge for electric cars

Post by snarkybc »

I have an EV (Electric Vehicle). I would like to know a little more about the charging stations the "city" will be installing.

There are 3 levels of charging for the EV and I am assuming that the city will be putting in the high speed chargers which charge at a rate of 50kwH? If this is the case, then the $9 for 30min is not a bad price ($0.36 per kwH). However if this is just a regular Level 2 charger like most that are in the city, you would be better off charging your car at home (way cheaper!!)
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: A charge for electric cars

Post by OKkayak »

Links to the story are always helpful so the audience gets a better understanding of your topic:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ctric-cars

The article says "DC Fast Chargers", not sure what those are or how fast they charge though.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me at all. Sounds more like gouging even after they've built the Chargers with our tax money. Current electricity rates are a little under $0.11 a kilowatt hour. So the charge that same amount at home would cost you under $6 yep they want to gouge you $9 and that's only beginning. That price will never go down and only go up and we all know how quickly and often it tends to go up after it's implemented. And for charging stations almost at a cost of $100,000 per station? What kind of Madness is that for a electrical connection which in reality is all it is. Who's making the gravy kickbacks building those for the city? Maybe the mayor's got a relative in that line of work. But really,almost $400,000 for four stations? Somebody should be looking into that, sounds fishy
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
demotto

Post by demotto »

Trust Fortis to charge three times what one pays for electricity.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

demotto wrote:Trust Fortis to charge three times what one pays for electricity.

80% charge for 9 bucks sounds pretty good. What does it cost to get an 80% charge at home?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Anonymous123 wrote:

80% charge for 9 bucks sounds pretty good. What does it cost to get an 80% charge at home?

Here's what I don't get about people. In the time it took you to ask the question how much does it cost to charge at home you could have Googled it yourself and found out it's under $0.12 a kilowatt hour and know for a fact instead of relying on somebody else's knowledge. So instead of realizing they're actually gouging you think it's a good deal like many people. I'm not dissing you but I wish people would just do a little more research themselves and educate themselves instead of going by what they read only.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Starting to sound like the "Price of Gas" threads [icon_lol2.gif]
snarkybc

Post by snarkybc »

Anonymous123 wrote:

It depends on where you live and how much electricity you use. Fortis Electric has Tier 1 (<800 kwH per month) which they charge at $0.10117 per kwH and Tier 2 which is above the 800 kwH is charged at $0.15617 per kwH.

So, assuming that the article is talking 50kwH charger, that would be 25kwH of charge in half an hour. At home.... Tier 1 would cost you $2.53 and Tier 2 would be $3.90. A lot cheaper to charge at home. With this being said, most houses I do not believe would be able to handle the load to install a 50kwH wall mount charger as it would draw too many amps. You would have to install a Level 2 charger with a 30/32A charger that would give you a charging rate of 7.2kwH. Also, you should not use the high speed chargers that often for the health of the batteries in the car.

P.S I am not an electrician, just going by what I have read and learned from other EV owners.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

I am afraid, it won't take long before they start charging roads tax on your electricity bills. Even your toaster or dishwasher will be paying for roads. How is this right?
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Mike Br. wrote:I am afraid, it won't take long before they start charging roads tax on your electricity bills. Even your toaster or dishwasher will be paying for roads. How is this right?

Taxes will simply shift from one resource (gas) to the new resource (electricity) and the fact that we power most of our lives with electricity, thats gonna be a big bonus in Government tax revenue.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

OKkayak wrote:Taxes will simply shift from one resource (gas) to the new resource (electricity) and the fact that we power most of our lives with electricity, thats gonna be a big bonus in Government tax revenue.

I knew it! Whatever greenies touch, it has to have a hefty price tag attached.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Wow, complaining about an extra cost to charge your EV away from home!

How entitled of "some" people!

These charging stations are expensive to install and if you want to use them then be prepared to pay for it or stay with a gas guzzler and pay the big oil co's.

Your choice.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Most electric car charging stations are still free. Use a free one, and don't worry about it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bsuds wrote:Wow, complaining about an extra cost to charge your EV away from home!

How entitled of "some" people!

These charging stations are expensive to install and if you want to use them then be prepared to pay for it or stay with a gas guzzler and pay the big oil co's.

Your choice.

Right? Of course you will pay extra for convenience and these stations cost money to build and maintain. But they are certainly worth it. People might think $100k is expensive but when you break it down I'm sure you'll find it's justified.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
spooker

Post by spooker »

Just some rough calculations ...

80% charge of a Nissan Leaf = 200km (250 * 0.8)
200km @ $9.00 = $4.50 / 100km

Typical car fuel economy: 8.9L/100km https://globalnews.ca/news/5259474/canada-fuel-economy-cars/

8L * $1.40 = $11.20 / 100km

Looks like a pretty good deal to me ...

And as for road taxes ... we get what we pay for, they certainly aren't free, pretty expensive as :cuss:

Return to “Central Okanagan”