Rutland has done its share....Castanet article

Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Rutland has done its share....Castanet article

Post by Graphite »

AlienSoldier wrote:Nope, the truth is that we need these facilities and Rutland is good enough to put them.

Ok Colin, explain your statement.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Obviously people facing substance abuse disease need assistance. I am unclear why it comes at a cost to every other taxpaying, law abiding, hardworking citizen. And I am not just speaking out about monetary costs. I am speaking out about problems of every other sort such as witnessed and/or experienced violence, destruction of property, theft of property, fraud, being ignored over and over by authority and government, squatting, drug paraphernalia in our parks and backyards, drug dealers, lowered property values, decline in personal mental health, having no voice for no reason, having people in your own city say you deserve this because you live or have a buisness in Rutland it goes on and on and it's absolute rubbish.

Watching our government spend limitless money enabling these behaviors and sustaining it for some reason rather than ever dealing with it or solving anything. Courts never doing anything to prevent repeat crimminal offenders from terrorizing the same neighborhoods and people. We are just working to pay to support this joke of a system that doesn't seem to be fixing the overdose crisis, and we all are watching it get worse and lives continue to be lost. How exactly do we need these wet facilities? What are they doing to help anyone? Where is all the money going? Look at Maple Ridge. It happened there before it happened here. These wet houses are community destruction.

The system is broken and is not serving anyone. We need a paradigm shift. People who suffer extreme substance abuse issues need actual meaningful help. A forced intervention, a time out of society to get the help they need. And do it over and over until it works. Do it forever as many time outs as needed. These people deserve to be helped in a real way. They are our brothers, our sisters, our parents, our children and friends. It takes a village.

Addiction causes a human mind to not function as a non addicted mind would. Addiction victims have lost control and cannot make thier own choices. The only thing that matters is feeding that addiction. Our people need proper help. They are screaming for help, crying for help.

Look at all the judgement, prejudice and societal pressure ciggarette smokers faced when society decided smoking was no longer an acceptable behavior. I am sure many readers here recall how smokers were systemically segregated and then blamed for the eventual burden they would place on our health care system. Strangers would verbally abuse smokers to their faces on the street and it was acceptable. There are fines in some cities for leaving butts on the ground. Smoking is banned from beaches. You can't smoke in a car with children (rightfully so), or in buildings, even if you live in them. What you can do is illegal narcotics on a beach and its quite probable there will be no consequences for doing it. You can do heroin, crack and meth in front of buildings, inside of buildings, in the park, on a train, in the rain, with green eggs and ham and anywhere else you please and we are told well nothing can be done. Just look the other way, our government has got this one *wink*wink*.

You can have everything you own stolen from you and the RCMP will say you just won the bad lottery, and it probably won't happen to you again. But guess what? Until we find a meaningful way to help those of us who suffer this very real disease called addiction, our society will continue to decline in very real, very negative ways.

A naloxone kit costs $123 to purchase. And any Joe blow off the street who wants one just in case the need arises to save a life has to pay. And if BC government really cared we would be handing out Naloxone kits with nasal spray instead of 2 vials that require mixing before administering. You want access to quickly save a life so why exactly do we have injectable kits?

Why warehouse people in wet housing on one side of town when we can help people with an opportunity to have a time out from society, give counseling, give life and job skills, give detox, give healing? Force this meaningful intervention and not only save lives but also save the society we all live in. You want to stop overdose deaths, give people a hand up from the cycle they are stuck in. What we are doing is not working. We are wasting time, money and lives beating our heads against the wall.

We need changes and if that comes by forced interventions on people who can no longer care for themselves I am all for it. We do that with our aging population when they no longer can care for themselves. It is called complex care and for people facing severe addiction diseases how is it wrong to help them with a kind of rehabilitative complex care?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

If you do not see what I am saying in the previous post Consider watching the documentary "Seattle is dying" it is available on youtube
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ism#316198 this coward has the :cuss: to complain, try living by the wet facilities you have opend up all over rutland you :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/316198/City-of-Kelowna-may-have-to-step-up-security-measures-after-second-city-hall-vandalism#316198 this coward has the :cuss: to complain, try living by the wet facilities you have opend up all over rutland you :cuss:

How many "wet" facilities have actually been opened up all over Rutland? And when?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

You can find out how many and when by looking it up on google I am sure. Or email the city
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Everyone is always harping about how prices of properties in Rutland are being pushed down by these facilities. But for the last several years prices in Rutland and all of Kelowna have gone up. So I do not feel that is a valid argument.

By spreading out these facilities we would need more police, more security, nurses, parking, etc. By having them close to one another we can concentrate resources. This saves money and hopefully reduces the "endless amount of money we are spending" as some have stated.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

AlienSoldier wrote:Everyone is always harping about how prices of properties in Rutland are being pushed down by these facilities. But for the last several years prices in Rutland and all of Kelowna have gone up. So I do not feel that is a valid argument.

By spreading out these facilities we would need more police, more security, nurses, parking, etc. By having them close to one another we can concentrate resources. This saves money and hopefully reduces the "endless amount of money we are spending" as some have stated.

I don't think anyone is harping anymore about prices going down. The problem residents in these areas talk about is that there is STILL an increase of drug and crime presence close to Hearthstone and Heath House especially in the summer. Many times it is the predators who prey on the people at these places but they are still there, (drug dealers, pimps, thieves) and they still carry out their transactions there. The police will shut down one drug dealing house and another one will pop up. There are still people with their carts spreading garbage, urinating or worse on people's property. The aggression has gone up and if you try to scare one of them off of your property chances are they will make moves to threaten you. Police and Bylaws turn up mostly after these people have walked away. People are frightened. It has not gotten better for the people in close proximity to these "wet" houses by Mills, Sylvania, Lester, and Nichol .

If these :cuss: wet houses have to be built they need to be spread out. You do not want a concentration of people with complex issues of mental health and addictions in only one area, they trigger each other and make peaceful living in those neighbourhoods almost impossible. But as you are inferring ... if they are all in Rutland who cares!
Last edited by Catsumi on Nov 16th, 2020, 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Censor wordmworkaround
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

DarbyD wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:Everyone is always harping about how prices of properties in Rutland are being pushed down by these facilities. But for the last several years prices in Rutland and all of Kelowna have gone up. So I do not feel that is a valid argument.

I don't think anyone is harping anymore about prices going down. The problem residents in these areas talk about is that there is STILL an increase of drug and crime presence close to Hearthstone and Heath House especially in the summer. Many times it is the predators who prey on the people at these places but they are still there, (drug dealers, pimps, thieves) and they still carry out their transactions there. The police will shut down one drug dealing house and another one will pop up. There are still people with their carts spreading garbage, urinating or worse on people's property. The aggression has gone up and if you try to scare one of them off of your property chances are they will make moves to threaten you. Police and Bylaws turn up mostly after these people have walked away. People are frightened. It has not gotten better for the people in close proximity to these "wet" houses by Mills, Sylvania, Lester, and Nichol .

If these :cuss: wet houses have to be built they need to be spread out. You do not want a concentration of people with complex issues of mental health and addictions in only one area, they trigger each other and make peaceful living in those neighbourhoods almost impossible. But as you are inferring ... if they are all in Rutland who cares! You don't want to know what I think of you.

I think we all care about Rutland, its a part of Kelowna. But all of the issues being raised are not with the facilities or the occupants but due to not enough supervision and the cops/bylaw officers not being around to enforce it. If not the cops or bylaw officers, than security/procedures. If we had enough of those, this might not be an issue.

BTW, you can think what you want of me, but I believe I am raising valid issues.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

cops and bylaw are not the problem, the lier's running these places and the junkies living in them are the problem
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

the truth wrote:cops and bylaw are not the problem, the lier's running these places and the junkies living in them are the problem

LOL! How do you think these dealers get to their clients and have freedom to roam? Everyone wants to get paid and live it up.
smaeh

Post by smaeh »

alanjh595 wrote:
the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/316198/City-of-Kelowna-may-have-to-step-up-security-measures-after-second-city-hall-vandalism#316198 this coward has the :cuss: to complain, try living by the wet facilities you have opend up all over rutland you :cuss:

How many "wet" facilities have actually been opened up all over Rutland? And when?

These are the ones I know of (not actually living in Rutland myself) -

New Gate apartments - 189 Rutland Road - opened in 2012 - 49 units
Heath House - 2639 Harvey - opened in 2019 - 40 units
Hearthstone - 1642 Commerce - opened in 2018 - 46 units
Samuel's Place - 280 McIntosh - opened in 2020 - 50 units
130 McCurdy - planned opening Spring 2021 - 49 units

All of these buildings are within UNDER 3 kilometres of each other. Samuel's Place and New Gate are only 500 metres apart. I think there may be some other smaller buildings but I am not sure. These alone are an overwhelming number within such a small geographical area. I think the title of this thread is entirely appropriate - RUTLAND HAS DONE ITS SHARE!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[qute="the truth"]
DarbyD wrote:I see one of the predator members of the local drug gang, previously from Hein Rd, is up to the same old tricks and wanted by police:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Crime-Sto ... ost-wanted

Curtis Frederick Moyan (DOB 1982-11-04) is wanted for one count of assault with a weapon.

Moyan is described as a 37-year-old non-white male, 5’9” tall and 175 lbs. He has brown hair and blue eyes.

Crime Stoppers will pay cash for information leading to the arrest of this suspect. If you see him, do not approach him.

Call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or go to http://www.crimestoppers.net.

that scumbag is still around :cuss: , safe bet he ends up in one of the 24/7 junkie wet facilities removed[/quote]

wow out running the streets again, thanks to scumbag lawyers https://www.castanet.net/news/Crime-Sto ... ted#317382 , try looking on hein road they have controlled that steet for years
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2021, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... BC-Housing kelowna should look into bc housing also

Return to “Central Okanagan”