Rutland has done its share....Castanet article

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Rutland has done its share....Castanet article

Post by Grandan »

Brerrabbit18 wrote:Why don't they throw a couple in Glenmore? Or maybe KLO/Mission area?
Oh, I think I know why.
Don't want to start "upsetting" anyone that lives above the "lower-middle class" demographic.

Just for the record, the proposed project is only 1/2 a block away from Rutland High School and the Middle school! :cuss:

And before everyone starts ranting about "where the services are", Rutland does not have any "core" services
in the area.

Oh well, Rutland already has an undeserved "getto" reputation.
I guess the government is just trying to solidify it.

Any properties which could accomodate supportive housing are virtually non existent in Glenmore. Compared to Rutland, Glenmore has scant services. Despite it's central location with good access, Glenmore lacks many of the services that are available in Rutland. A single convenience store is just not enough. The lack of a recreation centre or any other public meeting place is a major impediment.
Many of the homes in Glenmore are new and on small lots as compared to the many small old decrepit homes on larger lots in the Rutland Core so they are basically tear downs.
Much of Glenmore is ALR land so finding a lot large enough to accomodate a supportive housing unit is low.
Rutland is due for modernization and supportive housing is one good way to drive that.
I do not see that all people in Supportive housing (if any) are criminals.
Waste not
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

soupy wrote:
LiamHaddock wrote:
Supportive housing is so half *bleep*... We need a basic minimum income, housing should be a human right and time to end the war on drugs, decriminalizing them and treating addictions as the health epidemic it truly is... I mean it worked for Portugal.. but nah let's not do that and just continue to complain about "homeless druggie junkie criminals" I mean nothing will changes but makes some feel good to have something to circle jirk and *bleep* about with each other everyday :130:

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?t=67427

So will there be requirements for basic minimum income and housing provided?
Like actually work, refrain from committing crimes and rehabing?

Is minimum wage not a basic minimum income? (It is if one has a job ...)

Basic minimum income, no requirement.... Just that u make less than $x....
With automation and robotics expected to displace up to 40% of global work force it won't be just criminal junkies that will need it either.

I suggest Google if your uneducated on the topic and require more research.. it's quite commonly discussed these days I'm surprised you haven't at least learned/been able to grasp the basics..
Last edited by LiamHaddock on Jun 14th, 2019, 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

LiamHaddock wrote: housing should be a human right and its time to end the war on drugs, decriminalizing them and treating addiction as the health epidemic it truly is...

the war on drugs ended in the 90's .. been a free for all since, and just getting worse
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

Grandan wrote:I do not see that all people in Supportive housing (if any) are criminals.

BLIND!
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

pieinthei wrote:
LiamHaddock wrote: housing should be a human right and its time to end the war on drugs, decriminalizing them and treating addiction as the health epidemic it truly is...

the war on drugs ended in the 90's .. been a free for all since, and just getting worse

We may have changed strategy but it's always been a failing war... Portugal ended their war on drugs with great success... But nope drugs are bad mmkay... Just say no.. lol keep your head in the sand and be grumpy if you like... Have a great day.. just came to stir the pot...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

pieinthei wrote:
Grandan wrote:I do not see that all people in Supportive housing (if any) are criminals.

BLIND!

ya think,---wow--
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

LiamHaddock wrote:We need a basic minimum income, housing should be a human right ...

Nobody owes you nothing. Unless you are physically or mentally challanged, you have to provide for yourself, period! Housing is NOT a human right. Access to a shelter, ... maybe. But only in designated areas, and with proper rules, as I suggested earlier.
Last edited by Mike Br. on Jun 14th, 2019, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
2x4eyes

Post by 2x4eyes »

I agree with you Grandan - Not all those in supportive housing are thieves or junkies...Some are on disability, single/dual parent households, youth, and the list goes on...

However, we can clearly see that some are not very educated in relation to those who are in supportive housing and have difficulty distinguishing the differences between 'wet' and 'dry' supportive housing facilities. :200:
dudemeiser

Post by dudemeiser »

This is how it works at Cornerstone on Leon...

Let's say you are interested in purchasing illegal street drugs, y'know, for research purposes.

One approaches anyone loitering on the street in front of the building, one then 'places their order' Common menu items are, Side, Hard, or Down.

The individual who was approached then ENTERS THE BUILDING, in order to fulfill the order.

How is this considered, 'harm reduction'?
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

Mike Br. wrote:Can anyone name me a single place where this "supportive housing" worked, and hasn't turned into drugs and petty crimes nightmares for neighborhoods? Why do our politicians keep pushing this failed model?
These people have to be isolated from the society, and subjected to involuntary rehabilitation, and hard labor. A walled rehab/work camp, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, whould be good. Then, only if and when they come clean, and demostrate solid work ethics, they would be reintroduced to the society. There is no other way.

The project on Gordon Drive across from Capri has been very successful.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

TMBOkanagan wrote:The project on Gordon Drive across from Capri has been very successful.

Successful, in what? In this?
https://globalnews.ca/news/4326567/kelo ... opulation/
======================
Thomas Illichmann’s business is right across the street from the park. He said the neighbourhood has gone downhill in part because of a shelter called Inn From the Cold just up the street.
“I’ve been threatened. I’ve been threatened to have my house burned down, my business vandalized. I’ve been threatened with needles. Some other business owners have been assaulted,” Illichmann said.

The person who was assaulted is Carol Barron. She owns a dog grooming business just next to the shelter. She said she was attacked by a homeless man who was camped in front of her store.
“It scared the crap out of me. I ran to the store and when I got there, I was so out of breath I just about collapsed because I thought the guy was chasing me,” Barron said.

======================
If this is an example of "success", how do those "less successfull" look like?
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Brerrabbit18
Fledgling

Post by Brerrabbit18 »

Grandan wrote :
A single convenience store is just not enough. The lack of a recreation centre or any other public meeting place is a major impediment.
Many of the homes in Glenmore are new and on small lots as compared to the many small old decrepit homes on larger lots in the Rutland Core so they are basically tear downs.

This attitude towards Rutland is exactly what I was spouting off about.

So Grandan, your ok with having this center 100 feet away from 10 year to 17 year olds?
Also, around this area, the closest store is over a mile away.
Only one convenience store, just like Glenmore apparently.

If you didn't read the article, Norm was specifically singling Rutland out for a reason.
Sounds like a whole lot of "NIMBY" as is typical in certain parts of this city.

Send them all out to Rutland, where they can "disappear" from view for all of those in apparently "fancy house' neighborhoods, according to you.

What a load of *&^#.. :digging:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Brerrabbit18 wrote:Grandan wrote :
A single convenience store is just not enough. The lack of a recreation centre or any other public meeting place is a major impediment.

This attitude towards Rutland is exactly what I was spouting off about.

So Grandan, your ok with having this center 100 feet away from 10 year to 17 year olds?
Also, around this area, the closest store is over a mile away.
Only one convenience store, just like Glenmore apparently.

If you didn't read the article, Norm was specifically singling Rutland out for a reason.

Send them all out to Rutland, where they can "disappear" from view for all of those in apparently "fancy house' neighborhoods, according to you.

exactly
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Our uneducated mayor should consider the Mission area for such "accommodations" since he is really "one job" away from being a resident himself of these places.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Norm was specifically singling Rutland out for a reason.

Are these traits built into human nature and their survival?
1st, is to obtain air, water, and protection from the elements.
2nd, protect yourself and your relatives from predators.
Once those have been obtained comes;
3rd, hunt/ gather future food supplies.
4th, protect those supplies from others that will take them away from you.
After all, your and your family depend upon those supplies for your survival.

When there is a perceived danger, the natural human survival kicks in and will defend their family and their possessions. Humans have the ability to learn from other's mistakes by simple observation.
There is no evidence that 100% of these facilities have been proven as safe, by their proximity to those facilities. The further away one can be from locations have proven that, they are safer.

In no way do I condone or approve these facilities anywhere close to others that are just trying to survive.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Central Okanagan”