Canada Day editorial

mnprochnau
Banned

Canada Day editorial

Post by mnprochnau »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Its-All-A ... y#comments
Enjoying my morning coffee and came across this story by mark Jennings bates, And it is a most disturbing story at that. Readers of these forums may know that I am a proud third generation Canadian. This letter, especially one printed on this great day, a day that should be celebrated across the globe does mare the very idea of Canada Day for it uses as its focus a foreign national and an americun at that. As a Canadian I have to say it is possible I could be less interested in a convicted American bank robber but I doubt it. The sensationalism surrounding these lowlife scumbags is pathetic and I feel as Canadians we should separate ourselves from anything as vile and base as American criminals if not the entire gun totting nation, I can see no reason to print this letter on this day. Today is a day for Canada, not a day for things that are not Canadian and americun bank robbers are definitely not Canadian
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Canada Day editorial

Post by LTD »

I cant believe I took the time to read this removed even more shocking is that you took the time to write it happy Canada day
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 1st, 2019, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

mnprochnau wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Its-All-About/259961/An-inspiring-young-lady#comments
Enjoying my morning coffee and came across this story by mark Jennings bates, And it is a most disturbing story at that. Readers of these forums may know that I am a proud third generation Canadian. This letter, especially one printed on this great day, a day that should be celebrated across the globe does mare the very idea of Canada Day for it uses as its focus a foreign national and an americun at that. As a Canadian I have to say it is possible I could be less interested in a convicted American bank robber but I doubt it. The sensationalism surrounding these lowlife scumbags is pathetic and I feel as Canadians we should separate ourselves from anything as vile and base as American criminals if not the entire gun totting nation, I can see no reason to print this letter on this day. Today is a day for Canada, not a day for things that are not Canadian and americun bank robbers are definitely not Canadian

Try...not reading it then?
Also today:
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#260141
Kylie Jenner not pregnant. Who cares? Maybe someone, but nobody forced me to read it, and i’m not ranting about it.

Happy Canada Day
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

happy Canada day . 111 days til the next federal election. that will be the real Canada day
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

voice of reason wrote:happy Canada day . 111 days til the next federal election. that will be the real Canada day

Unless the NDP wins by a fluke.
Bring back the LIKE button.
mnprochnau
Banned

Post by mnprochnau »

LTD wrote:I cant believe I took the time to read this removed even more shocking is that you took the time to write it happy Canada day

I really don't care about your belief system but as a Canadian I will fight to the death for your right to believe whatever you want, At least I'm not being vague. Of the 3000 post you've left in the last nine years do you say anything original or doo you just force your belief system on post you cant understand
mnprochnau
Banned

Post by mnprochnau »

Try...not reading it then?
Also today:
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#260141
Kylie Jenner not pregnant. Who cares? Maybe someone, but nobody forced me to read it, and i’m not ranting about it.

Happy Canada Day[/quote]
thanks fer the advice although I am not sure how to decide not to read it without actually reading it perhaps you can enlighten me
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

mnprochnau wrote:
LTD wrote:I cant believe I took the time to read this removed even more shocking is that you took the time to write it happy Canada day

I really don't care about your belief system but as a Canadian I will fight to the death for your right to believe whatever you want, At least I'm not being vague. Of the 3000 post you've left in the last nine years do you say anything original or doo you just force your belief system on post you cant understand

are you serious a story about someone turning their life around after making some bad choices is disturbing to you, that couldn't be less Canadian the only thing vague is whether or not you truly are Canadian I also don't care about your belief system which is clearly in need of some form of help
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

mnprochnau wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Its-All-About/259961/An-inspiring-young-lady#comments

I think you are utterly 'out to lunch' on this rant.

I just read the article -- which was published on June 28, so has naught to do with Canada Day -- and found it quite well written and informative. It does relate to Canada because we also struggle with 'rehabilitating' rather than simply 'punishing' our assorted fellow citizens who screw up badly enough that they end up behind bars. The thinking over the past 100 years is that people tend to come out of prison 'worse' than when they entered. Prison is actually a fine place to learn how to be a better criminal and to 'network'.

The american '60 Minutes' has done a number of stories over the years -- this most recent on (https://www.cbsnews.com/video/german-style-true-program-at-cheshire-correctional-institution-emphasizes-rehab-for-inmates-60-minutes/) showing how some European countries are trying to improve their prisons so their inmates are better prepared to succeed when they are released. It makes a lot of sense and the US is experimenting with emulating the German model.

And the story of the young woman who became a plumber after her release and plans to give back by telling her story in prison courses, is inspirational. Unlike you, I felt BETTER after reading it.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't start making this personal! Thank you.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

err, I think Kylie IS pregnant... billionaire from getting lips pumped then selling knock off lip kits. Bless her
We live in a great Country - someone/something ticked us we can speak up without fear
Our dollar about as worthless as Canadian Tire money but.....
And we have the Beaver. Come on, who can't feel proud about our Beaver
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Only on Castanet, where the majority call for anyone committing a crime to be locked up for the rest of their lives, would a story about a criminal that used their jail time constructively and got an education, learned skills and upon release became a contributing member of society. Only here, could someone find something to complain about.
Personally, I never trust anyone with a hyphenated last name.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Who cares about some editorial, its Canada Day! Time to celebrate this country! :130:
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

WalterWhite wrote:Only on Castanet, where the majority call for anyone committing a crime to be locked up for the rest of their lives, would a story about a criminal that used their jail time constructively and got an education, learned skills and upon release became a contributing member of society. Only here, could someone find something to complain about.
Personally, I never trust anyone with a hyphenated last name.

Only ones I would like to see in prison for life are the ones who have taken a life, since that will never happen. I will settle for no parole for their 25 year sentence.
Commit multiple murders then serve 25 years (each one) consecutively again no parole.

Don't like it, then don't murder anyone.

Added: I will give a way out... if the victim verbally forgives the guilty party in front of witnesses. Oh right that can never happen.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Trixster
Banned

Post by Trixster »

normaM wrote:err, I think Kylie IS pregnant... billionaire from getting lips pumped then selling knock off lip kits. Bless her
We live in a great Country - someone/something ticked us we can speak up without fear
Our dollar about as worthless as Canadian Tire money but.....
And we have the Beaver. Come on, who can't feel proud about our Beaver

Who doesn't like Beaver?

Return to “Central Okanagan”