Illegal parkers, rude to boot

SENNA

Handi-capped Parking downtown

Post by SENNA »

Reading about the Handicapped parking issue downtown reminded me of this same complaint a number of years ago. I had gone to a late movie and it was dark and raining when I arrived. I pulled through a legal (non-handi-capped) drive-through spot at the end of the lot, and ran for the doors. When I returned there was an extremely rude message left on my window berating me for not allowing side access to a handicapped van beside me. I remember the van as it was quite old and saw it a few days later. There was indeed a small sign in the back window telling people not to park beside it, however, the van had not parked in a handicapped spot, the sign was not visible in the dark and the assumption that other drivers are going to be looking in their car windows to read signs was a stretch. I can’t imagine having to go through life with physical challenges and I am not making light of their situation, however, is it possible that handicapped drivers that rely on side access to their vehicle for ramps etc. are able to request/obtain permits that allow them to use two (or more) spaces to park so they can use the ramp, or alternatively, back their vehicles into the handicapped spaces so that the ramps are on the correct side to allow them safe access to the sidewalk? I also would like to point out that a Handicap is not always visible to bystanders. We can see a person and not realize that they have limitations or physical challenges, and no matter what type of vehicle they drive, or the clothes they wear, they have the same right to respect as those whose situation may be more obvious.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Illegal parkers, rude to boot

Post by Scrobins94 »

I guess it's ok to park your motorcycle in a disabled parking spot if there is another motorcycle with a disabled parking pass? I mean since there is space remaining might as well use it. But what about when the motorcycle with the disabled pass leaves? Unless they all leave together that does seem inconsiderate to park your motorcycle there.

UPDATE 8:16 a.m.

Castanet has learned that at least one group of motorcyclists who park in the disabled spot in front of Blenz does indeed have disabled parking passes.

Spring Hawse says, "on occasion, there is one bike with a disabled parking pass, but that seems to give everyone the OK to park there when there is no pass to be found."

One other reader indicated she followed up after seeing the motorcycles parked in the disabled spot in front of Blenz and when she followed up the parking authority she was also told that at least one of the riders does indeed have a disabled pass.

ORIGINAL 5 a.m.

Improper use of a disabled parking spot on Bernard Avenue in downtown Kelowna in front of the Blenz Coffee Shop has sparked the ire of a local woman.

Angie Clowry sent us a photo of a group of motorcyclists parking in the accessible stall in front of the popular Kelowna coffee shop. Which would be fine if any of the riders were disabled, but in this case they were not.

Clowry snapped the photo after a legitimately disabled person, Spring Hawse, indicated she couldn't park in the spot because of the riders' parking job.

"These motorcyclists who park in clearly marked disabled space don't seem to care, and they are parked there frequently in front of Blenz on Bernard in Kelowna throughout the summer.... These bikers don't care and aren't friendly to those needing the disabled parking spots," she says.

Clowry says Hawse is limited to a motorized wheelchair and wants people to know how their careless parking impacts her.

There is a wheelchair ramp that comes out from the side sliding back door in her vehicle. This ramp requires a space next to her vehicle to open the door and let the ramp out.

"People too often park right up against her vehicle," says Clowry.

Hawse struggles with accessibility issues and wants people to be aware that she really needs the disabled parking space.

Clowry tells Castanet that when Hawse reported the situation to staff at Blenz and they asked the bikers to accommodate her needs, they became confrontational.

Hawse says she doesn't intend to become the poster person for disabled parking, but feels sharing her story may help educate the public.

"While it's only a space to you, it's the only way she can get a safe stop to park her vehicle so she can get in and out of it."

She also says the bikers were rude and confrontational, and they made a bad situation worse.

Hawse politely asks drivers to have their disabled tag properly displayed or park elsewhere.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... de-to-boot
Last edited by ferri on Jul 25th, 2019, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to article added.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Handi-capped Parking downtown

Post by GordonH »

I posted in this thread my comments

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=73701
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Bikes sharing a Handicapped parking stall.

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Well first off if one of the bikes has a handicap pass , why is it not displayed?
Pretty sure there is a parking wedge across the street that would hold a few bikes, there is across from Starbux.
And look at the way they park, nose first.. maybe they are newbie riders ?

I bet the bike with the pass could park at the extreme edge of that spot and leave room for a car with handicap stickers.

In some towns, the bikers would be trying to keep out non handicap parkers from that spot, but maybe some of the local riders from here are cut from a different cloth..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Mark5
Board Meister

Re: Bikes sharing a Handicapped parking stall.

Post by Mark5 »

There should be exclusive motorcycle parking areas.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Mark5 wrote:There should be exclusive motorcycle parking areas.

Good luck with that since there is already a lack of street parking in the downtown area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

uh huh.. and there should be special parking for Teslas, Grand Prix's, and probably even VW busses.. how about toyota corolla's.. ?? when does it end..
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

There are.

Saw a car parked in one in front of Curious Cafe Sunday afternoon.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Illegal parkers, rude to boot

Post by Scrobins94 »

There is motorcycle only parking in front of the old Castanet building, across from the Chapman Parkade. Maybe it's too far of a walk for some?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Scrobins94 wrote:There is motorcycle only parking in front of the old Castanet building, across from the Chapman Parkade. Maybe it's too far of a walk for some?

There is also motorcycle only spot at the corner of Abbott and Lawrence on the City Park side of Abbott.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Scrobins94 wrote:There is motorcycle only parking in front of the old Castanet building, across from the Chapman Parkade. Maybe it's too far of a walk for some?

What's the point of parking your hog three blocks away and walking to the coffee place when you can park it just where you're sitting so everybody can see that you, in fact, own a motorcycle, you're hardcore, and all the ladies want you.

Because without a motorcycle you're just an obese weirdo wearing leather in the middle of summer.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

GordonH wrote:

Good luck with that since there is already a lack of street parking in the downtown area.

There are many parking wedges that will fit a bike or two, that cars can't fit in, it's just not clear wether they can be used.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Even Steven wrote:What's the point of parking your hog three blocks away and walking to the coffee place when you can park it just where you're sitting so everybody can see that you, in fact, own a motorcycle, you're hardcore, and all the ladies want you.

Because without a motorcycle you're just an obese weirdo wearing leather in the middle of summer.

that's hilarious. There is one motorcycle there this morning (at the back of the handicap spot but still in it). Didn't notice if it had a sign or not. I'm sure they will get lots of attention today
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 26th, 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

gman313 wrote:that's hilarious. There is one motorcycle there this morning (at the back of the handicap spot but still in it). Didn't notice if it had a sign or not. I'm sure they will get lots of attention today

Those people are there for attention only, not for coffee lol.

Why do you think they call it "Middle Age Crisis Cafe".

Return to “Central Okanagan”