More WET housing planned for Rutland. McIntosh Road.

Wave101
Fledgling

More WET housing planned for Rutland. McIntosh Road.

Post by Wave101 »

I hope that Rutland residents keep up the pressure on city council to reject such facilities in thier neighbourhood.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#263238
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: More WET housing planned for Rutland. McIntosh Road.

Post by LTD »

lol mayor and council are doing everything in their power to not be re elected [icon_lol2.gif]
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

as per bc housing, they did not hold a public information session back in january to inform neighbours--shocker--- not--- they know exactly what they are doing--- question -is it even legal not to hold a public information session for the neighbours, should that alone not legally stop the project ?
Last edited by the truth on Aug 12th, 2019, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Why don't they actually do Rutland a favor, and build one on Hein Road, ripping out all the problem houses along the way?
Then stop right there.
It may actually improve the area.
csm
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by csm »

Makes sense....

The majority of the tourists frequent downtown - how many frequent Rutland?
The only logical option is to migrate the homeless and drug addicts from downtown to Rutland, and away from the Tourists so they can't see just how bad it is ( and getting ).

Great plan Kelowna - If you can't cure it - hide it, maybe it will go away on it's own like a pimple!
Compliance is a tool used by dictators, to take your freedom and never give it back.
Enjoy your new "Slave State"!
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

Why don’t mayor and Council do something about this, instead of continuing their disrespect towards Rutland.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

TerriJ73 wrote:Why don’t mayor and Council do something about this, instead of continuing their disrespect towards Rutland.

its clear basran jhs and bc housing hate rutland, can we take them to court for a hate crime
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

the truth wrote:
TerriJ73 wrote:Why don’t mayor and Council do something about this, instead of continuing their disrespect towards Rutland.

its clear basran jhs and bc housing hate rutland, can we take them to court for a hate crime

file a complaint with the bc human rights tribunal
demetre86

Post by demetre86 »

Well, this is past the point of trivial petitions and internet outcry.
This requires physical presence , street closures, and construction interference. They are turning rutland 'core' into a garbage dump. I cant wait until my wife is to scared to shop local at save on.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

demetre86 wrote:Well, this is past the point of trivial petitions and internet outcry.
This requires physical presence , street closures, and construction interference. They are turning rutland 'core' into a garbage dump. I cant wait until my wife is to scared to shop local at save on.

sad but true........
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i actually lived on the corner of asher and macintosh for a few years. it was a decent neighborhood full of old people and families. you could walk over to the rutland mall and the stores on asher. it was a great little neighborhood. the houses are old but the people were good. im assuming the older folks have passed on now and the property has gotten sold off. the house i used to live in has been an apartment building for years now.it will be sad to see the neighborhood turn into a junkie shitehole
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

On Monday Aug 12 at the city council PM meeting, they are going to approve a development permit for wet supportive housing at 280 McIntosh Rd, which is the corner of Asher and McIntosh Rd in Rutland. City staff report recommends it:

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... ntId=23805
https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... ntId=23804

We know from different statements that this will provide housing for those who have been living at Cornerstone and Gospel Mission. Powers that be really are only working to get the troublemakers out of the downtown core, the so called "jewel" of Kelowna council and staff. They are NOT working at solving the problems of what those people are going through at their current location. They should be building these wet facilities downtown where the homeless currently are. What about that McDonald restaurant building on Hwy 97 just past the bridge? THAT would be a perfect place to build homeless WET housing.

Who cares about the Rutland residential neighborhoods, citizens and the many seniors and families who have found an affordable place to live in that area? NOT city councilors or the mayor, Not BC Housing, Journey Home, or John Howard Society apparently.

I do think as long as Rutlanders keep the rest of Kelowna residents aware and informed they will have their support. I also believe that awareness will ensure that this mayor, and this city council will NOT go down in history very favorably. Other areas do understand and don't think this should be happening in any residential area, or that the downtown area should be pushing their problems out to the residential areas. Boo Hoo city council says our hands are tied, BC Housing is forcing us to do this .. bull pucky ... there are discussions and "secret" talks going on behind the scenes. Gail Given alluded to it when she said that they are working very hard on things outside of city council.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

voice of reason wrote:i actually lived on the corner of asher and macintosh for a few years. it was a decent neighborhood full of old people and families. you could walk over to the rutland mall and the stores on asher. it was a great little neighborhood. the houses are old but the people were good. im assuming the older folks have passed on now and the property has gotten sold off. the house i used to live in has been an apartment building for years now.it will be sad to see the neighborhood turn into a junkie shitehole

There are still older people living in those town houses and apartments, they aren't designated "senior living" but that is who is living there. Those seniors are now feeling very stressed and with that stress they feel they are being pushed to sell or move out of the "affordable" homes and SAFE neighbourhood they have lived in for so long. Just so the downtown doesn't have to deal with their JUNKY problem !!
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

the truth wrote:as per bc housing, they did not hold a public information session back in january to inform neighbours--shocker--- not--- they know exactly what they are doing--- question -is it even legal not to hold a public information session for the neighbours, should that alone not legally stop the project ?

"According to the staff report, BC Housing did hold a public information session back in January to inform neighbours the project, to house people experiencing or at-risk of homelessness."
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

just popping in wrote:
the truth wrote:as per bc housing, they did not hold a public information session back in january to inform neighbours--shocker--- not--- they know exactly what they are doing--- question -is it even legal not to hold a public information session for the neighbours, should that alone not legally stop the project ?

"According to the staff report, BC Housing did hold a public information session back in January to inform neighbours the project, to house people experiencing or at-risk of homelessness."

that's a lot different than a wet facility

Return to “Central Okanagan”