More WET housing planned for Rutland. McIntosh Road.

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: More WET housing planned for Rutland. McIntosh Road.

Post by dogspoiler »

Wow, there's something that could have gone very badly.
Black Dogs Matter
spooker

Post by spooker »

oldtrucker wrote:Wet housing would work and could almost completely end homelessness if a timeline for a mandatory rehabilitation program was strictly followed. There is no program for what I understand about it....and that's why it's doomed to fail. All it is without a rehabilitation program is a nice comfy place to party in.

Forcing people into rehab just increases the rate of recidivism ... requiring someone to enter rehab to get a roof over their head means that a lot of people trapped in that life won't go there, not solving the issue of them living rough on the street and continuing that lifestyle ... it seems simple to us on the outside but it's not ...
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

^^ nope..that's just what BC Housing wants us all to think now..building Treatment Centers and having instant treatment available for those that need and want it would be a much better idea..

coddling an addict and making them think that being high and doing horrific things to keep their addiction going is a normal lifestyle that everyone should just understand is not helping anybody..(and it is not normal and it is a horrible way to live)

get sober and you got a home waiting for you is a very positive thing ...it's that light at the end of the tunnel that everybody wants to see, especially if you live in the dark doing drugs 24/7..
spooker

Post by spooker »

W105 wrote:^^ nope..that's just what BC Housing wants us all to think now..building Treatment Centers and having instant treatment available for those that need and want it would be a much better idea..

coddling an addict and making them think that being high and doing horrific things to keep their addiction going is a normal lifestyle that everyone should just understand is not helping anybody..(and it is not normal and it is a horrible way to live)

get sober and you got a home waiting for you is a very positive thing ...it's that light at the end of the tunnel that everybody wants to see, especially if you live in the dark doing drugs 24/7..

Where is the data to back up your assertion?

At this point, it has become apparent that the right question is not whether or not mandated treatment works, but under what circumstances might it work and how? And under what circumstances does it become yet another negative experience with the system, leading to further marginalization and drug-related harms?

https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/carbc/2016/02/09/does-forced-drug-treatment-actually-work/

As I keep repeating, it's not that simple ... especially for the variety of people that are lumped into the "homeless" out-group by those of us lucky enough to have a roof over our heads ...
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

ask a recovered addict who fought the battle and won, they know what actually works...this can happen way more often if there is free instant treatment available

Crossroads was closed because they were short on funding, Bridges has only 50 beds for all of the youth in BC and we have NO beds for the youth in the Okanagan..

yet we are building $10 million dollar wet facilities (crazy that there's funding for this but zero for actual treatment) and putting anti social addicts in hotels right now (with drug using tents available for them outside so they can feed the thing that's killing them everyday)

keeping people sick isn't going to do anything except keeping them sick...addicts lack the ability to say NO and until they are forced to think a different way and actually get taught that their life is worth living for, they will continue to feel worthless..

and it's completely unfair to those who are truly homeless with no addictions to have to be housed with addicts who only have one care in the world , which is getting high 24/7
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Those living in WET facilities are just being "enabled" to continue on their chosen path.

Life just became much more pleasant and gives a greater reason for them to NOT want to choose a different path to explore.

The only thing these WET homes provide for the rest of us is, it takes them out of our view and relocates them.

Face it!
They will never get better.
They will NOT change their ways.
They WILL continue on, and when the streets have been cleared, there will be others that will follow and get in line, waiting for one of them to die or become incarcerated, so that they can move up a rung on the seniority ladder.

There is no advantage for them to change, every time they feel that life is tough, all they have to do is stick a needle in their arm and that feeling will be gone, and all will be good again........ until .....it's time to feel well again.

What is the solution? I don't know, is there one?
I think that the 1st step would be to stop the drugs from entering Canada all together.
Start by cutting off the head of the snake.

How would that be accomplished? I don't know that either.

But, punishing, enabling or supporting the end user will never have any affect.
Bring back the LIKE button.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

:up: :up: :up:
W105 wrote:ask a recovered addict who fought the battle and won, they know what actually works...this can happen way more often if there is free instant treatment available

Crossroads was closed because they were short on funding, Bridges has only 50 beds for all of the youth in BC and we have NO beds for the youth in the Okanagan..

yet we are building $10 million dollar wet facilities (crazy that there's funding for this but zero for actual treatment) and putting anti social addicts in hotels right now (with drug using tents available for them outside so they can feed the thing that's killing them everyday)

keeping people sick isn't going to do anything except keeping them sick...addicts lack the ability to say NO and until they are forced to think a different way and actually get taught that their life is worth living for, they will continue to feel worthless..

and it's completely unfair to those who are truly homeless with no addictions to have to be housed with addicts who only have one care in the world , which is getting high 24/7
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

spooker wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:Wet housing would work and could almost completely end homelessness if a timeline for a mandatory rehabilitation program was strictly followed. There is no program for what I understand about it....and that's why it's doomed to fail. All it is without a rehabilitation program is a nice comfy place to party in.

Forcing people into rehab just increases the rate of recidivism ... requiring someone to enter rehab to get a roof over their head means that a lot of people trapped in that life won't go there, not solving the issue of them living rough on the street and continuing that lifestyle ... it seems simple to us on the outside but it's not ...

So, in other words... they made a decision not to enter rehab and remain on the street. They obviously don't need a roof that badly, so let's focus on the ones who really want to make an effort to get clean. Those who put forth 100% in life usually get appropriately rewarded for their efforts.
spooker

Post by spooker »

eires37 wrote:So, in other words... they made a decision not to enter rehab and remain on the street. They obviously don't need a roof that badly, so let's focus on the ones who really want to make an effort to get clean. Those who put forth 100% in life usually get appropriately rewarded for their efforts.

If you need to smoosh everything into a single box for your understanding that's alright ... life can get pretty messy when you add reality to the mix and find out that everyone on the street has a different reason for being where they are so there isn't a "one-size-fits-all" solution ... how is it that we raise kids long enough for them to get on their feet when they can't even clean their own bum? we wouldn't last very long as a race if all we worried about were the people that could help themselves ...

Yeah, that fairytale about "you get what you give" never applies perfectly ... life is more about doing your best, helping your society be better, and hoping that luck will favour you too ... for some, that luck failed them ...
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

spooker wrote:
eires37 wrote:So, in other words... they made a decision not to enter rehab and remain on the street. They obviously don't need a roof that badly, so let's focus on the ones who really want to make an effort to get clean. Those who put forth 100% in life usually get appropriately rewarded for their efforts.

If you need to smoosh everything into a single box for your understanding that's alright ... life can get pretty messy when you add reality to the mix and find out that everyone on the street has a different reason for being where they are so there isn't a "one-size-fits-all" solution ... how is it that we raise kids long enough for them to get on their feet when they can't even clean their own bum? we wouldn't last very long as a race if all we worried about were the people that could help themselves ...

Yeah, that fairytale about "you get what you give" never applies perfectly ... life is more about doing your best, helping your society be better, and hoping that luck will favour you too ... for some, that luck failed them ...

I'm sorry, I don't enable or accept excuses for junkies. If some want to bend over, grab their ankles and smile while being punked by these thieving degenerates, then don't forget the wet wipes. I'll protect my property with the aid of a Louisville Slugger
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:How would that be accomplished? I don't know that either.

I know how. Every time drugs are discovered in shipping containers, transport trailers...etc, it costs the source country 10 million dollars per kilo found in economic punishment of some kind to the source country...sanctions or whatever. 100 kilos of fentanyl = 1 billion dollars. Until paid...all container ships, flights etc from that country are not allowed in.
Done.

So therefore; cut off other countries from shipping things that we need, because an individual shipped something they shouldn't have?
If we did that, then that would end our automotive industry.
No more car seats, alternators, and so many other components that are used to make cars here.
I guess they could be shipped to the USA and then here? I am sure that the US would be happy to accept the parts, inspect them for contraband and forward them here for free.

Sorry, I don't see that idea has a snowball's chance on the South slope of hell of working.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

eires37 wrote:I'm sorry, I don't enable or accept excuses for junkies. If some want to bend over, grab their ankles and smile while being punked by these thieving degenerates, then don't forget the wet wipes. I'll protect my property with the aid of a Louisville Slugger

I appreciate your feelings, as I am of like mind.
I have always made decisions of what I would do, when faced with certain circumstances, well in advance, when I am under no stress.

I have thought about what I would do and with what. I have made up my mind long before I would have to act in self defense. I have done this taking all of the negatives and positives and potential repercussions.
The last thing that I want to do is protect myself and just have to face a criminal trial, that could take 2-3 years to be heard.

The court system in Canada is as lop-sided against the home owner/renter as it is in family court, against the father.
Unfortunately, even leaving a bicycle outside, unlocked, when a thief comes by, and then beating him with a bat, could be portrayed in court as lying in wait for a prey to take the bait.
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

alanjh595 wrote:
eires37 wrote:I'm sorry, I don't enable or accept excuses for junkies. If some want to bend over, grab their ankles and smile while being punked by these thieving degenerates, then don't forget the wet wipes. I'll protect my property with the aid of a Louisville Slugger

I appreciate your feelings, as I am of like mind.
I have always made decisions of what I would do, when faced with certain circumstances, well in advance, when I am under no stress.

I have thought about what I would do and with what. I have made up my mind long before I would have to act in self defense. I have done this taking all of the negatives and positives and potential repercussions.
The last thing that I want to do is protect myself and just have to face a criminal trial, that could take 2-3 years to be heard.

The court system in Canada is as lop-sided against the home owner/renter as it is in family court, against the father.
Unfortunately, even leaving a bicycle outside, unlocked, when a thief comes by, and then beating him with a bat, could be portrayed in court as lying in wait for a prey to take the bait.

I totally get the baiting part. I've never left anything outside that I wasn't afraid of losing. My neighbor had $30k worth of jewelry pinched by junkies, their neices were in the hot tub when the junkies brazenly walked in and helped themselves.

I wouldn't bait a thief, but once they enter my garage or home then the bat gets a workout. In the old country punks were knee-capped for a whole lot less, and there was less crime because of fear of retaliation.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

McIntosh facility; after speaking with a city official today in planning, I inquired regarding the proposed, on the accepted, approved landscape plans forwarded to the city as per the 1.8 m fence bordering the town house's along side this building.
I was advised that in the proposed plans, even though this 1.8m fence was shown that in the print it stated they could keep an existing buildings fence. Now, at the open house this fence as advertised on the plans set up for all to see was questioned as a much needed division and request for public safety and privacy. The city and John howard represented all said to many of us that this fence was part of the plan and would be built. They did not build it and went with the 30 yr old 4ft high wood fence. Obviously no privacy or protection and safety for the people living in those town home's.
Discussion yesterday with a city representative advised myself of this print that stated they could go without. Upon discussion the safety and promises for this fence It was stated to myself that we could build our own fence.
Also speaking directly to a city official at building time of this she also stated the fence would be built.
what we have seen, the sell job for having these facilities border our family homes is one thing. The lying to deceive us is another. Would it be much to expect that at least they would secure proper protection, safety, privacy for the home owners having to make such allowances to having one of these places in your back yard.
Touring one such facility along the highway today can clearly see a 8ft high privacy fence along all borders. But not for you McIntosh people. This is the very least our city could have stood up against and demanded privacy fencing, but no.
It is very alarming that the city could not take at least a little stance requiring proper safety for its citizens.
We will address this at a few levels now and including media hopefully.
In the mean time, McCurdy road people, do not believe a single thing the city says. Outside of some of them just not knowing the business parts of their involvement they also appear to either be lying directly or just not really caring.
smaeh

Post by smaeh »

Please make sure the media gets involved…letters to Capital News, Daily Courier, contact *bleep*…email the Mayor and ALL his minions on Council. Oh…and why not our new Director of Public Safety, Darren Caul!

This is disgusting! The least they can provide is some decent fencing!

Return to “Central Okanagan”