New Costco: Timeline?

New Costco: Timeline?

Postby A10ThunderboltII » Jan 4th, 2020, 12:16 pm

With the recent "gouge" in local gas prices, I wonder..
Do we have a timeline for the new COSTCO?

Has city council given first? Second? or hopefully third reading on the proposal?
Until then, it's just that, a proposal.
Is there a timeline out there for:
-approval?
-Permits issued?
-construction start? completion?
-Opening ?

If you actually KNOW something, could you share...but
***NOT a never-ending bunch of "I heard s" please**
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Liked in: 105 posts

Re: New Costco: Timeline?

Postby Symbonite » Jan 4th, 2020, 1:50 pm

well I heard...no...in fact...that road will become a gong show at those intersections near the proposed new Costco and underhill and the dilworth intersection with the mall...its was bad enough this past Christmas that they needed a flagger in that intersection by the mall...now add more cars are more direct impacting that section of road with Costco...

But hey...Kelowna council says for people to take a bus.....because they have no plans on changing anything about the roads or intersections around there lol....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

2 people like this post.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1174 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 4th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Symbonite wrote:well I heard...no...in fact...that road will become a gong show at those intersections near the proposed new Costco and underhill and the dilworth intersection with the mall...its was bad enough this past Christmas that they needed a flagger in that intersection by the mall...now add more cars are more direct impacting that section of road with Costco...

But hey...Kelowna council says for people to take a bus.....because they have no plans on changing anything about the roads or intersections around there lol....

Flaggers and traffic? Oh no!

I'll just leave this right here:

Symbonite wrote:Psssst.... hey come here...Pssst....

I think everyone is complaining about 1st world problems....
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
"Conspiracy Theories are a way for idiots to feel like intellectuals."

- David Baddiel

normaM likes this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 18808 posts

Postby Grandan » Jan 4th, 2020, 2:06 pm

A10ThunderboltII wrote:With the recent "gouge" in local gas prices, I wonder..
Do we have a timeline for the new COSTCO?

Has city council given first? Second? or hopefully third reading on the proposal?
Until then, it's just that, a proposal.
Is there a timeline out there for:
-approval?
-Permits issued?
-construction start? completion?
-Opening ?

If you actually KNOW something, could you share...but
***NOT a never-ending bunch of "I heard s" please**

Once you have a site selected it can take 6 months to a year to go through the preparation of working drawings and a rezoning with a lot of back and forth. If there is community opposition you can add even more time. I would not hold my breath for anything sooner than December 2020.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1310 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Jan 4th, 2020, 2:17 pm

If and or when Kelowna gets Costco gas bar, is anyone 100% sure they're going to Buck the trend and sell their gas cheaper? I'll get excited when I see it with my own eyes. Unless it's pretty much fact that at every Costco Gas Bar in Canada they sell it for cheaper then I'll jump on the excitement bandwagon. Until then it's all hopeful wishful thinking. It's too bad we can't get an honest politician to Buck the trend of doing what's best for everyone. Certainly not holding my breath for that one. Only the kids growing up today can give us that hope of completely changing the political landscape. Then maybe regular people trying to enjoy life won't be gouged at every corner of every business
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
common_sense_guy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 987 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 4th, 2020, 2:45 pm

If approved by February it will be opening around October. Costco has their own construction crews and their buildings are simple and fast to erect. Word is that local employees have been told to be ready for a move this fall and to avoid booking holidays at that time.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The world still needs more Canada; it just needs less Justin Trudeau.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Liked in: 9549 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Jan 4th, 2020, 4:08 pm

common_sense_guy wrote:If and or when Kelowna gets Costco gas bar, is anyone 100% sure they're going to Buck the trend and sell their gas cheaper? I'll get excited when I see it with my own eyes. Unless it's pretty much fact that at every Costco Gas Bar in Canada they sell it for cheaper then I'll jump on the excitement bandwagon. Until then it's all hopeful wishful thinking. It's too bad we can't get an honest politician to Buck the trend of doing what's best for everyone. Certainly not holding my breath for that one. Only the kids growing up today can give us that hope of completely changing the political landscape. Then maybe regular people trying to enjoy life won't be gouged at every corner of every business

They are always cheaper....but in Edmonton they are always lined up. Personally i couldn’t be bothered to wait 15 minutes to save a couple bucks.

2 people like this post.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 3097 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 4th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Grandan wrote:Once you have a site selected it can take 6 months to a year to go through the preparation of working drawings and a rezoning with a lot of back and forth. If there is community opposition you can add even more time. I would not hold my breath for anything sooner than December 2020.

Costco's buildings are built off site and can be put together in a very short time. I think I read somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 days till open.
My Wife is blaming me for ruining her Birthday!
That's ridiculous, I didn't even know it was her Birthday!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17740 posts

Postby A10ThunderboltII » Jan 4th, 2020, 4:41 pm

vegas1500 wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote:They are always cheaper....but in Edmonton they are always lined up. Personally i couldn’t be bothered to wait 15 minutes to save a couple bucks.

You should drop by in the evening...7-8pm..there's no one there..no lineups at the pumps and none IN STORE either.

"Save a couple of bucks": my F150 SuperCrew has a 136 liter tank..pumping 130 liters at an average of 12 cents/ liter less at Costco saves me over $ 15.00 each fill :smt045

4 people like this post.
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Postby GordonH » Jan 4th, 2020, 5:29 pm

It will be interesting to see if the fuel pump line up backs onto Baron Rd. I avoid the area during certain times of the day now.

What I am hopping is one or more stations in town will try to compete with costco prices.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee

Hornswoggle likes this post.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12554 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby A10ThunderboltII » Jan 4th, 2020, 5:49 pm

GordonH wrote:What I am hopping is one or more stations in town will try to compete with costco prices.

There are always a few stations that come "close enough" to the Costco price to draw away the:
I'm not waiting in line" folks..
I've seen 15 min lineups in Calgary and Bellingham..We go later when the daytimers are gone..as I said: 7-8 pm, no lines.
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Postby lesliepaul » Jan 4th, 2020, 6:07 pm

If Baron Rd. is the future location, it is without a doubt going to be a traffic nightmare.

Over a year ago there were rumors that the land on the westside of 97 between McCurdy and Scandia was a possibility. The frontage to 97 has already been spoken for by the August family and the future location of August Luxury Motorcars along with several other associated business's. That now leaves a fairly large field of "scrub" land between the frontage and the homeless creek. The cry of this property being ALR is a pure joke...…….it is currently a complete wasteland and can serve a huge purpose. Rest assured, someday it will be sold and developed...…...no better time than RIGHT NOW!

……...get in the game Kelowna city council and break some rules for the RIGHT thing this time!
lesliepaul
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2211 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jan 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm

I am glad this thread is back.
I don't think a single person on here has ever mentioned , that Baron Rd already has Costco traffic on it..
Will they get more, yes most likely . How much more not sure , but it is definitely a ready there.
SOUNDS like a bit more traffic to me , not double or triple the traffic like some make out it will be..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

3 people like this post.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3329 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 4th, 2020, 6:56 pm

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I am glad this thread is back.
I don't think a single person on here has ever mentioned , that Baron Rd already has Costco traffic on it..
Will they get more, yes most likely . How much more not sure , but it is definitely a ready there.
SOUNDS like a bit more traffic to me , not double or triple the traffic like some make out it will be..

I believe it was mentioned in the old thread and I agree with you to a point.

The existing Costco gets traffic from Hwy 97, Ziprick Rd via Hwy 33 as well as Baron Rd.
I can see where the traffic on Baron and Leckie will increase a bunch. I think the are going to have access off Springfield as well. The left turn from Springfield onto Leckie is already a pain, now add Costco traffic.

If they don't do it right it will be fun.
My Wife is blaming me for ruining her Birthday!
That's ridiculous, I didn't even know it was her Birthday!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17740 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 4th, 2020, 6:57 pm

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I am glad this thread is back.

impo traffic issues will be around the fuel station, based on drawings it is going in not to far away from the intersection connected to OPM (Dilworth & Baron).
It will snowball with both intersection at Springfield as well effecting Harvey & Dilworth (Oh yes lesser extent Leckie & Springfield)
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee

Hornswoggle likes this post.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12554 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Next

Return to Central Okanagan