Hot Sands work should wait

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Hot Sands work should wait

Post by alanjh595 »

Ken7 wrote:I'm not sure what the date has to do with it. It is a article showing how attempting to bag the shoreline to prevent erosion on Lake Okanagan was done. What are you missing, it isn't high water / pool at this time of year.

The highest water flow day I was told is in June, by then the heat gets up high enough to melt rapidly.

Bagging at the shoreline was not done to to avoid or reduce sand erosion, the last thing on their minds was sand drift.
it was to prevent flooding damage to infrastructure.
When is the last year prior to 2017? Has nothing been learned since 2017? Maybe, they will open the flood gates sooner next time?
Wasn't there a plea, several years ago, to move the sand at the boat launch ramp?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

alanjh595 wrote:
Ken7 wrote:I'm not sure what the date has to do with it. It is a article showing how attempting to bag the shoreline to prevent erosion on Lake Okanagan was done. What are you missing, it isn't high water / pool at this time of year.

The highest water flow day I was told is in June, by then the heat gets up high enough to melt rapidly.

Bagging at the shoreline was not done to to avoid or reduce sand erosion, the last thing on their minds was sand drift.
it was to prevent flooding damage to infrastructure.
When is the last year prior to 2017? Has nothing been learned since 2017? Maybe, they will open the flood gates sooner next time?
Wasn't there a plea, several years ago, to move the sand at the boat launch ramp?

Apparently you did not read the article.,. prevent water and erosion I did not make it up.

"With high water levels in the Okanagan, these winds will generate waves that could lead to shoreline flooding and erosion. This risk is highest along shores exposed to the south. Winds will ease late Thursday night. Little rain is expected with this system."
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Yes at elevations not tempered to deal with wave action are sandbagged . Top soil , landscaping , and fixtures of man made construction. At high level the sand under the action isnt even moving. There are beaches on the sides of the fraser river below hells gate. The city did not place this , there are naturally occurring areas in which sand falls from suspension and deposits itself, just as there are areas that have 6 foot boulders and undermined rock faces.
Strong and free
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Zoso wrote:Yes at elevations not tempered to deal with wave action are sandbagged . Top soil , landscaping , and fixtures of man made construction. At high level the sand under the action isnt even moving. There are beaches on the sides of the fraser river below hells gate. The city did not place this , there are naturally occurring areas in which sand falls from suspension and deposits itself, just as there are areas that have 6 foot boulders and undermined rock faces.

Yes, that is why they have to put more there this year. The stuff they placed there last year washed away. You haven't figured that out yet. With a fuller pool it will go guaranteed.

Return to “Central Okanagan”