Bad Wolf

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Bad Wolf

Post by Fancy »

tsayta wrote:Not saying that her experience wasn't awful, but that the wilds may still exist near us....

Nah - you were poking fun at her. More than a few dogs have been killed by coyotes etc. She was living a nightmare. She and her dogs were lucky.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think the wolf only followed her, because it could not figure out how the two dogs could not get away from that lady.. :200:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Almost sounds like a large coyote - they are known to entice dogs away.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

The secret for walking, running or any other reason to be on a remote and any other trail is to carry Bear Spray and a Hunting Knife as there are animals and others on them that want to hurt, kill or use you for their meal.
It is not against the law to use Bear Spray or Dog Repellent on other animals like wolves, snakes, cougars and other creepies.
And if you have food with you throw that at them and they will like you for that.
The same goes for fishing if a bear comes at you and you have fish remember the fish belongs to them so do not try to steal it away from them by trying to keep it. Just throw it at them and save your life and get out of their forest.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I also edited one post to add Silverstar - might do it again if I find something else that confirms the numbers of wolves in the area.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Is this just me but it reminds me of a woman with a dog in Pentivton , and a deer..

Serious folks if you hike more than a kilometer on a trail , figure where you are or how to describe where you are to people if you carry a phone..
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I remember reading on a hunting forum of a dead wolf found over ten years ago confirming them to be in the area.There's lots of game so stands to reason there's a pack roaming around.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

tsayta wrote:I'm wondering if it was a wolf. Are there any wolves left around here?

There might not be a wolf in the first place. Lady sounds a bit dramatic. Bet it was just a coyote.

Now police, ambulance, conservation officer has been dispatched because she saw something scary. That's why we can't have nice things.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

And remember, if you are in wild animal territory..with a group..
You don't have to be real fast to escape... second slowest will usually get you out of the woods.. :130:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Serious folks if you hike more than a kilometer on a trail , figure where you are or how to describe where you are to people if you carry a phone..

Some people don't handle pressure and panic as well as others. Cut the lady a break - she's okay, her dogs are okay and kudos to the 911 operator and jogger that was there to help her.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I think I have seen a wolf, decade's ago, up about 3 km into the woods on Scotty Creek.. when we worked up there..
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jun 30th, 2020, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I don't doubt there are wolves up there, probably mostly higher up.
But wolves following people , it just sounds abnormal and strange..
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

It was probably a large coyote. They can be aggressive when they see a smaller dog they want to eat.

I am surprised people don't carry bear spray when walking in the woods in the Okanagan. I always have it on me. I have seen lots of bears but thankfully I was able to scare them away by yelling. What worries me most is cougars sneaking up on me, not that I have seen any.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hunters are seeing wolves in the Okanagan. Could be an older one or one that isn't well. The lady is familiar with coyotes so this is a much larger animal than she normally sees.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

e: Bad Wolf

Chances of running into a bear with cubs is pretty high right now, carrying the spray would be a good idea..

Return to “Central Okanagan”