Bad Wolf

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Bad Wolf

Post by Lady tehMa »

tsayta wrote:Only ever heard one in my life. North of fort st James. Tsayta lake. (not kidding). Was haunting. Beautiful

My inlaws live up the Carmi way. They've heard wolves howling at night. Their dog goes nuts (barking) when the coyotes yip and bark, when the wolves howl he doesn't howl back, but paces at the doors, listening. Only happens a few times a year, though.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

It was most definitely a wolf.

My friend and hunting partner has property up that way and has a decent size pack roll through his place on his trail cameras regularly. 2 years ago while doing moose inventory flights in the winter there was several different packs spotted and photographed in that area.

There is also a number of collared wolves from Washington State that have made the trip north and are residing in the South and Central Okanagan right now.

Wolves have been very common up and down the valley for well over a decade now. Not surprising at all to hear this story and there is no mistaking a wolf for a coyote when you actually come across one.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Fancy wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Serious folks if you hike more than a kilometer on a trail , figure where you are or how to describe where you are to people if you carry a phone..

Some people don't handle pressure and panic as well as others. Cut the lady a break - she's okay, her dogs are okay and kudos to the 911 operator and jogger that was there to help her.

Just as 'some people' should have cut the lady in Penticton a break when she and her dog were charged by the deer.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

errr, I am not making light of it but seriously doubt it was anything more that a dog who was just interested in her two dogs
Coyotes are here tend to be small sized.
Her dogs darn useless.
And if she had time to take off her shoes she wasn't too terrified.
Wolves Life Matter
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

daveandanne wrote:The secret for walking, running or any other reason to be on a remote and any other trail is to carry Bear Spray and a Hunting Knife as there are animals and others on them that want to hurt, kill or use you for their meal.
It is not against the law to use Bear Spray or Dog Repellent on other animals like wolves, snakes, cougars and other creepies.
And if you have food with you throw that at them and they will like you for that.
The same goes for fishing if a bear comes at you and you have fish remember the fish belongs to them so do not try to steal it away from them by trying to keep it. Just throw it at them and save your life and get out of their forest.

I spent $35 fishing license $300 Costco Kayak $40 paddling life jacket $ 300 for 1 week RV site Kooteny Lake. $200 in gas $200 in booze n groceries. $100 new tackle. If I catch a $4 fish and a bear tries to take it from me I am going down swinging hard. Please put that in my obituary.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I am thinking,
If you can't keep a cool head when things go wrong, you should not be out there alone..
Another thing I have told people..
I am not surprised you ran into wildlife ou there, I am surprised you went out THAT MANY times, Without encountering wildlife..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

No matter how much one spends on going fishing, hunting or out to enjoy the wilderness all of that money spent is not worth losing the most important part of the issue which turns out to be one's life.
Why worry about what is put on one's obituary as the dead person cannot read it.
And again about the money just shop at a local store and buy the product, then rent a movie showing how that product was brought to market and hunted and enjoy the meal and your lasting life.
One can eat for years with the money saved without risking your life for one meal.
And the best part is that the bears and other wildlife will love you for doing that.
I know it is against the law to feed wildlife but when you have to pick between obeying the law and being killed or living because you broke the law flip a coin or just do it.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

tsayta wrote:First thing one must do when being chased by wolf: take shoes off and throw at wolf. Proceed barefoot

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ing#304197

Would you say that if it happened to your mother or grandmother. I don't wish this to happen on anybody. The feeling that you could be dead within 5 minutes ripped apart by an animal is not a feeling any one should have to feel.. there's a time to make jokes and there's a time to be serious
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nooby wrote:Just as 'some people' should have cut the lady in Penticton a break when she and her dog were charged by the deer.

Different circumstances and wrong thread. Being stalked by a wolf would be a frightening experience when one has only seen coyotes. Different animals altogether.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

When hiking I have walking stick, very nice roughly 5” long piece of hickory. So far I haven’t had to use besides as walking stick.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

GordonH wrote:When hiking I have walking stick, very nice roughly 5” long piece of hickory. So far I haven’t had to use besides as walking stick.

Thats good the wolves can chew some toothpicks off of it to use after they eat ya
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:When hiking I have walking stick, very nice roughly 5” long piece of hickory. So far I haven’t had to use besides as walking stick.

Boosted632 wrote:Thats good the wolves can chew some toothpicks off of it to use after they eat ya

not until I get a few hits to their head. Unfortunately my louisville slugger doesn’t work well as a walking stick. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There are bear sticks that people have created that are used for walking.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:There are bear sticks that people have created that are used for walking.

Yep, comes with a rather nasty nail.
https://www.thebearstick.com/
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

GordonH wrote:
Fancy wrote:There are bear sticks that people have created that are used for walking.

Yep, comes with a rather nasty nail.
https://www.thebearstick.com/

Would be usefull on yourself so you dont feel the wolf pack ripping your arms off
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY

Return to “Central Okanagan”