Affordable Rental Units?

nepal
Übergod

Re: Affordable Rental Units?

Post by nepal »

The first house Kel I could afford was a very terrible little POS, with basically zero help, but we Reno’d, and upgraded a few times to end up with a respectable abode years later. Nice to see some get a helping hand, but most are not so fortunate.
Attachments
0EBB60E1-20B1-493D-9D69-DA2EFA60A342.jpeg
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Well, parents always helped kids. Don't see what's so bad about it. That's what parents do
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

nepal wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 11:55 pm The first house Kel I could afford was a very terrible little POS, with basically zero help, but we Reno’d, and upgraded a few times to end up with a respectable abode years later. Nice to see some get a helping hand, but most are not so fortunate.
I was expecting some other poster (you know who you are... :smt045 ) to post that story. But...the 30% stat fell well short of the 80-90% figure that he has been trying to sell all this time. [icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by 2manyfords on Oct 26th, 2021, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

Even Steven wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 12:44 am Well, parents always helped kids. Don't see what's so bad about it. That's what parents do
Yup...but some take exception.
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

Even Steven wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 12:44 am Well, parents always helped kids. Don't see what's so bad about it. That's what parents do
My parents didn’t. I was on my own.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

The_quiet_one wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 7:19 am

I was on my own as well, mostly because I didn't need the help. But wouldn't hesitate to help my kids if need be, especially in the current market.

After all, I cant take it with me when i'm gone :200:
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

2manyfords wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 7:48 am
The_quiet_one wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 7:19 am

I was on my own as well, mostly because I didn't need the help. But wouldn't hesitate to help my kids if need be, especially in the current market.

Isn’t that the truth 😊. That I agree with.
A couple years ago I started helping my kids with things 😊
I’d rather watch them enjoy things now then not see anything after I die.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

The_quiet_one wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 8:04 am
2manyfords wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 7:48 am

Isn’t that the truth 😊. That I agree with.
A couple years ago I started helping my kids with things 😊
I’d rather watch them enjoy things now then not see anything after I die.
Lol. That's a good way to look at it.
I'm still a long way (hopefully) from "departing" tho... :biggrin:

As far as renting goes, nothing wrong with it, for me it was short term, to get my foot in the door, until I realized I didn't like living under someone else's thumb.
But today, the prices of a simple 1 bdrm suite?? Jeez.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Out of this 10 billion dollars, how many parents have co-signed these mortgages that allow their children to become first-time homeowners ?
It all works fine until it doesn't, is the bank of mom & dad prepared to make these payments if things go South ?
It's easy to say a million dollars but it's a lot of money when you have to pay it back.
The banks don't care if you've run into problems they just want their money.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

one wheel wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 8:30 am
It all works fine until it doesn't, is the bank of mom & dad prepared to make these payments if things go South ?
Yup. (this one anyway) :smt045

Without risk, there's no reward. There's always the possibly of "circumstances", (like Covid/employment status) but they are usually short term.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

one wheel wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 8:30 am Out of this 10 billion dollars, how many parents have co-signed these mortgages that allow their children to become first-time homeowners ?
It's easy to say a million dollars but it's a lot of money when you have to pay it back.
The banks don't care if you've run into problems they just want their money.
I co-signed for our daughter. No hesitation at all.
A year later all was good and my name was off the paperwork.

As for things going south, of course they can, but don't make it seem like it's the end of the world. We all take chances in life and with family, they come first.

And my parents? They had no money to spare but they often came up with small, meaningful gifts.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

We all have to realize that no matter what we try to do, on planet earth it is dog eat dog, survival of the fittest and every person for themselves. In order to be a player, you need big money. If you do not have big money you are not invited to the game. So we can cry and complain about affordable housing but in the long run, nobody really cares except those affected and a few good people who really can`t do much about it anyway. Kelowna is turning into Beverly Hills in the USA and only the wealthy and those with good paying jobs will be able to afford to live here. I recall reading a letter to the editor in the 90`s or early 2000`s from a person who had given up on Kelowna even back then. Their comment has stayed in my mind ever since. They said"the best view of Kelowna they ever had was in their rear view mirror as they were leaving Kelowna for good". Unfortunately it is not just Kelowna where this is happening though. Soon there will be no where left to go. I expect to see shanty towns springing up all across Canada soon.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Mark5 wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 4:47 pm Unfortunately it is not just Kelowna where this is happening though. Soon there will be no where left to go. I expect to see shanty towns springing up all across Canada soon.
North Bay and Whitehorse prices up +40% in a year.

It's so sad that it's funny now.

Right now in North Bay there are people suggesting to the youth of North Bay that they can't expect a North Bay 1970's fixer upper for time house (those are for rich Toronto speculators!) and that they need to lower their standards and get a job in Wawa and buy a trailer there between 3 other people.

Whatever it takes to protect their asset price!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Mark5 wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 4:47 pm We all have to realize that no matter what we try to do, on planet earth it is dog eat dog, survival of the fittest and every person for themselves. In order to be a player, you need big money. If you do not have big money you are not invited to the game. So we can cry and complain about affordable housing but in the long run, nobody really cares except those affected and a few good people who really can`t do much about it anyway. Kelowna is turning into Beverly Hills in the USA and only the wealthy and those with good paying jobs will be able to afford to live here. I recall reading a letter to the editor in the 90`s or early 2000`s from a person who had given up on Kelowna even back then. Their comment has stayed in my mind ever since. They said"the best view of Kelowna they ever had was in their rear view mirror as they were leaving Kelowna for good". Unfortunately it is not just Kelowna where this is happening though. Soon there will be no where left to go. I expect to see shanty towns springing up all across Canada soon.
Sure people can do something about it. I rent my place out for well under "market value" because I wanted a family to have a home. Sure I could collect a lot more but I also believe in building community and that's one way I can actively participate in providing affordable housing. If more people participate it will drive prices down and more people can afford to live in their communities instead of choosing greed and driving them out.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

JLives wrote: Oct 26th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Sure people can do something about it. I rent my place out for well under "market value" because I wanted a family to have a home. Sure I could collect a lot more but I also believe in building community and that's one way I can actively participate in providing affordable housing. If more people participate it will drive prices down and more people can afford to live in their communities instead of choosing greed and driving them out.
While I agree with your sentiment, and it is commendable what you are doing for your rental, i highly doubt it is feasible for most. Certainly not an apartment building. Someone renting out a basement suite would likely have some wiggle room though, but not nearly enough to drive down the market value.

I have more than enough space that I could rent out, but after what I have endured in the past, it's not going to happen. Certainly not "well below market value". Sorry, that ship has sailed.

Now, if a family member, or close friend needed a space, I wouldn't hesitate.

Return to “Central Okanagan”