Illegal No Parking Sign Put Up: Son Of A Burtch!

my5cents
Guru

Re: Illegal No Parking Sign Put Up: Son Of A Burtch!

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:If there are no signs it's 24 hours

https://www.kelowna.ca/roads-transporta ... %20parking.

So, there is no three hour bylaw. I know you are just explaining, I had directed the question at anonymous.

My point was that in major cities special requests for signage isn't required for residential parking. Yes, even in cities such as Vancouver, there are areas near sporting event venues that have parking limits, we have those as well all over the Okanagan.

The blanket three hour bylaw, is designed to limit all day parking in areas near office buildings, care homes etc without the need for signage.

The three hour limit only applies during daytime hours, thus parking in a residential area for an evening sporting event wouldn't be rectified by the blanket bylaw. That needs things like time limiting signs or in more serious situations permit parking.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Fancy wrote:Probably most cities have the same stipulation - can only park for 2 hours and must move the vehicle off that same block. Surprisingly most people don't know that and think they can move their car every two hours a few feet and wonder why they got a ticket.

my5cents wrote:Unfortunately "most cities" doesn't include any in the Okanagan. Many bylaw short falls in the OK.

Anonymous123 wrote: Kelowna has it.

my5cents wrote:
Anonymous123 wrote:Kelowna has it.

A three hour bylaw ? (or equivalent)

Fancy’s comment is what I responded to.

my5cents wrote:
Fancy wrote:Probably most cities have the same stipulation - can only park for 2 hours and must move the vehicle off that same block. Surprisingly most people don't know that and think they can move their car every two hours a few feet and wonder why they got a ticket.

Unfortunately "most cities" doesn't include any in the Okanagan. Many bylaw short falls in the OK.

I’m not discussing Vancouver,
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

From Kelowna parking bylaws.
https://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/P ... ations.pdf
Exceed 24 Hours
(v) on any highway, or within the same block on either side of the roadway, for a
continuous period exceeding twenty-four (24) hours,

To address "contractors"......
4.3.2 Residential Permits. A person holding a residential permit, as obtained through City Council
Policy No. 366, shall not be subject to the penalties provided for the breach of Subsection
4.1.2(bb) of this Part so long as that permit remains valid and subsisting. These permits are not
for use on commercial vehicles and are subject to all rules and regulations as set forth in City
Council Policy No. 366.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

FWIW I had occasion to drive by there today, and with this thread in mind, noted that on that whole section of street there were only two vehicles parked on the facility side, and I believe three on the residences side, that was around 2:30pm, my point being I don't know why anyone would have an issue in the first place. :135:

One would think that staff at Mountainview would be working at that time.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I believe that parking issue came to a head when the Osprey Landing project was being constructed. Now that the landscaping is completed the parking wars have settled down. To ensure that this doesn’t happen again, the residents on Burtch can go online to the City website and download a petition to implement parking restrictions. If I lived there, I would waste no time petitioning the City with this because when Osprey Landing is fully occupied there will certainly be overflow parking on Burtch. It took our neighbourhood 2 years before we got parking restrictions on our street. We now have 2 hr maximum parking between the hours of 8am to 11pm.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Anonymous123 wrote:I believe that parking issue came to a head when the Osprey Landing project was being constructed. Now that the landscaping is completed the parking wars have settled down. To ensure that this doesn’t happen again, the residents on Burtch can go online to the City website and download a petition to implement parking restrictions. If I lived there, I would waste no time petitioning the City with this because when Osprey Landing is fully occupied there will certainly be overflow parking on Burtch. It took our neighbourhood 2 years before we got parking restrictions on our street. We now have 2 hr maximum parking between the hours of 8am to 11pm.

Good points.

I'm of the mind however, that the person responsible for the fake signage, won't be too happy with a 2hr parking restriction.

Such an act tends to suggest more along the line of, they want the space in front of their home available for their use whenever they wish. If that's the case I don't agree with it, because the road is public and belongs to all citizens of Kelowna.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I agree that the resident might not be happy with the two hour limit, but what we have is the most restrictive parking regulations available for residential areas, according to the City that is. Having said that, I’d like to add that as residents of our area we too can not park on the street for more than two hours unless we purchase a pass from the City. Good luck to the Burtch Street residents.

Return to “Central Okanagan”