Tolko Mill

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Tolko Mill

Post by alanjh595 »

I would expect that remediation would be similar to those that are used to those used for a decommissioned gas station.
Just like, at the corner of Spall & Springfield, and 33 across from the old CIBC location, (Dougal Rd.?)
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

alanjh595 wrote:I would expect that remediation would be similar to those that are used to those used for a decommissioned gas station.
Just like, at the corner of Spall & Springfield, and 33 across from the old CIBC location, (Dougal Rd.?)

Yep, former esso on the corner of KLO & Lakeshore has been vacant for almost 2 decades now. One would think that would be prime location for condo.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

alanjh595 wrote:I would expect that remediation would be similar to those that are used to those used for a decommissioned gas station.

The former CIBC branch building is still there, as far as I know, and houses a national collection agency (ARO, Inc.), no?

Cheers,
Doug
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Kelowna......that means;.
City council and all of the residents, combined with the demands for new land to build on, has destroyed another industry/employer.
We are all responsible for their demise.

#1. Shut down the railway in favour of a bicycle/walking trail.
#2. Control traffic flow, to the extent that they couldn't get logs in or lumber out....economically.
#3. Increase taxes to unbearable amounts.
#4. Future expansion of residential properties closer and closer to the point where it doesn't take Kreshkin to see that there will be a huge increase in noise complaints from the new neighbours. Just look at the number complaints that farmers are getting, even though, they were here first.
Bring back the LIKE button.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

City council and all of the residents, combined with the demands for new land to build on, has destroyed another industry/employer.

Nope .................

Tolko was their last viable customer and it wasn't enough to keep them going .

But , yeah .. All the complainers about the mill didn't help
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Problem with railway was it was in need of major work so that trains could go at normal speed. For years top speed was capped 30 mph.
Once the Kelowna branch was shutdown to remainder was upgraded.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote:Problem with railway was it was in need of major work so that trains could go at normal speed. For years top speed was capped 30 mph.

You might be forgetting that the railway shut down shortly after the glass plant in Lavington did ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Problem with railway was it was in need of major work so that trains could go at normal speed. For years top speed was capped 30 mph.

MAPearce wrote:You might be forgetting that the railway shut down shortly after the glass plant in Lavington did ..

Railway line from lumber mill near Lumby to main line over by South Thompson River (including up to Armstrong).
Was fixed to be able to have trains go at normal speeds. This all took place when Kelowna branch was shutdown.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

MAPearce wrote:You might be forgetting that the railway shut down shortly after the glass plant in Lavington did ..

The glass planet shutdown in 2008 and the Vernon to Kelowna railway branch shutdown in 2013/14 but the Lumby/Lavington/Vernon to Kamloops branch is still used. I don't recall the glass planet being one of KVR's customers.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

MAPearce wrote:

Nope .................

Nope.........

Tolko, SunRype, OK Builders. One remains after the closure of the rail service by short-sighted politicians.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

SunRype, OK Builders.

SunRype and Ok Builders shipper by rail ??? SunRype I could see but I never noticed rail lines to the plant .

Never knew that ..
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

MAPearce wrote:

Nope .................

Gone_Fishin wrote:Nope.........

Tolko, SunRype, OK Builders. One remains after the closure of the rail service by short-sighted politicians.

Can the rail line closure be pinned on the politicians in this case though?

The company that used the rail line from here to Vernon simply went broke as it wasn't viable anymore is the way I thought it was presented, no?

Much in the same way that CN shut down some rail lines as they weren't profitable enough.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

MAPearce wrote:
SunRype, OK Builders.

SunRype and Ok Builders shipper by rail ??? SunRype I could see but I never noticed rail lines to the plant .

Never knew that ..

All of OK Builders' cement powder came by rail. When the rail line shut down the cost to truck it was exorbitant. SunRype used to get all their juice concentrates and syrups by rail, except apple which they produce in house. Now it is brought by truck from ports in the US, and you pay dearly for that when you buy a box of juice.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I guess I forgot about the ready mix plant ....

My bad
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

A LOT of the south side of sun Rype was set up for car loading. . RAIL LINES went to the Laurel and the other packing houses that were down in that area. At The boat launch , they loaded rail cars onto the barges to go to Penticton...
Geez , seems like just a few decades ago..... :biggrin:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”