Tolko Mill

one wheel
Übergod

Re: Tolko Mill

Post by one wheel »

The section of Bay Ave. will be closed between Ellis St. & Guy St. October 27 & 28th.

It might be closed to allow the removal of the chip conveyor system that crosses above the road ?

I think removing the buildings & the cleanup will proceed quickly now since the equipment has been taken out ?

The plywood plant has all those big beams that builders will certainly enjoy getting.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

alanjh595 wrote:I would expect that remediation would be similar to those that are used to those used for a decommissioned gas station.
Just like, at the corner of Spall & Springfield, and 33 across from the old CIBC location, (Dougal Rd.?)

Why its a sawmill not a gas station. Not much for contaminants like a gas station would have.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

They had a gas pump in front of office for decades. There is no way they did not have large diesel tanks, and likely gasoline as well , up to the end. And many chemicals. Threading oil.. solvents , grease, , probably creosote for a lot of years.. turbine oil.. etc. :smt045
Have you ever even had a look around at a sawmill site ?
They may have to dredge part of the lake bottom...
I think some people on here mistake the lumber sales area of a big hardware store, with the thought that a sawmill is that clean an operation..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Okanagan Falls is a different market than Kelowna. Weyerhaeuser mill shut down in 2007. 13 years and we are on plan number 5 down here.
Kelowna money may move things a little faster.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Gixxer wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:I would expect that remediation would be similar to those that are used to those used for a decommissioned gas station.
Just like, at the corner of Spall & Springfield, and 33 across from the old CIBC location, (Dougal Rd.?)

Why its a sawmill not a gas station. Not much for contaminants like a gas station would have.

It's worse than a gas station. Decades of plywood glue resin dripping and hydraulic fluid leaking. The enviro standards in 1960 were a lot different from today when doing an oil change in a loader.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

It's worse than a gas station. Decades of plywood glue resin dripping and hydraulic fluid leaking

Riverside didn't do plywood . It was a planner mill , or so I thought ...

Of all the places I've worked in that mill , I never saw a plywood "plant " ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Both Crown Zellerbach and Fletcher Challenge produced plywood out of the Kelowna mill.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

It's two facilities, Sawmill, and Plywood Plant.. my parents worked at both. Back then there was also the Box factory.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JJetson65

Post by JJetson65 »

Riverside had a Plywood Plant running. Lathe production here as well. It shut down just before it was sold to TOLKO in 2004. There are lots of different problems to solve. Each Mill or Plant would be different - Can't compare to Weyer in OK Falls. Should be interesting to see the forward actions for sure......
JJetson65

Post by JJetson65 »

Box factory is still running out of Winfield - TOLKO now.
Box factory was not in this location - but the plywood came from this site for the box plant.
parks101

Post by parks101 »

Plywood production stopped in 2009 when tolko lates off approximately 130 employees, then in 2011 they stopped Peeling veneer and layed off the 25 or so remaining employees.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

What I recall is the Box Factory was moved from the Kelowna mill yard over to Richter St. & Crowley Ave. in the early '70's & later it was relocated to it's present location on Beaver Lake Rd.

The mill originally had - the Box Factory, the Sawmill & the Plywood Plant at the present mill property.

This mill provided for many Kelowna families throughout it's years of operating.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

33 across from CIBC?

Directly across is MoneyMart in a strip mall that used to house Pizza Hut as well, and opposite is Petro Can on one corner and another gas station I don't recall the name of on the other, so where is this decommissioned station?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:

33 across from CIBC?

Directly across is MoneyMart in a strip mall that used to house Pizza Hut as well, and opposite is Petro Can on one corner and another gas station I don't recall the name of on the other, so where is this decommissioned station?

It's gone, and there is an environmental monitoring station there now. The best that I know is, that it blows steam via well point below the old site and draws the air and water back up to the sensors that are contained within that little shack on site.

AND, yes we are referring to the same location.

If it wasn't for the environmental controls and the years of testing required to ensure that site was safe for habitation, it would be an apartment building by now.
Bring back the LIKE button.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

The mill originally had - the Box Factory, the Sawmill & the Plywood Plant at the present mill property.

When did they move the plywood plant ?? In my over 20 years contracting to the mill , I've never seen one chunk of plywood stacked , stored or shipped from the joint .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”